1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Political Word Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do you find that these are highly Effective?

Does calling the Enemy INSURGENTS as oppose to REBELS make an impact?
    Any other WORD Switches stick out for you?

The one that got me was when there was a MOVEMENT
    to change Suicide Bomber to HOMICIDE BOMBER.

It was on every TV Station . . every News Cast
    It was so blatant and pervasive.
    and almost as pathetic as FREEDOM FRIES

Rocket River

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Terrorist and freedom Fighter. Is one that I hate.

And yes it does have a very large influence on the perspective of the general public. It is acually pretty sad the amount of effect it has.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its funny that that political correctness gets attacked from both sides, of course being black I kind find examples of words that aren't acceptable where the change is generally regarded as a good thing

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This made me think of a George Carlin monologue about the evolution of the word shell shocked:

"In the first world war, that condition was called Shell Shock. Simple, honest, direct language. Two syllables, Shell Shock. Almost sounds like the guns themselves. That was seventy years ago.

Then a whole generation went by and the second world war came along and very same combat condition was called Battle Fatigue. Four syllables now. Takes a little longer to say. Doesn't seem to hurt as much. Fatigue is a nicer word than shock. Shell Shock! Battle Fatigue.

Then we had the war in Korea, 1950. Madison avenue was riding high by that time, and the very same combat condition was called Operational Exhaustion. Hey, were up to eight syllables now! And the humanity has been squeezed completely out of the phrase. It's totally sterile now. Operational exhaustion. Sounds like something that might happen to your car.

Then of course, came the war in Viet Nam, which has only been over for about sixteen or seventeen years, and thanks to the lies and deceits surrounding that war, I guess it's no surprise that the very same condition was called Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Still eight syllables, but we've added a hyphen! And the pain is completely buried under jargon. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I'll bet you if we'd of still been calling it Shell Shock, some of those Viet Nam veterans might have gotten the attention they needed at the time. I'll betcha. I'll betcha."
    George Carlin

6. Rashmon

One man's freedom fighter is another man's insurgent rebel.

7. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

One man's "family values" is another man's "hey, how'd I end up at this gay bar wearing assless chaps?"

1 person likes this.
  8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Reading the OP Fail!

9. Rashmon

Doh! Too many words and I skimmed right over it.

OK, how about this one from George:

"You can't really say 'Balls' on TV, unless, it's in the context of a sport. For instance, you might hear Curt Gowdy say, "Roberto Clemente has two balls on him!" BUT, you'll never hear him say, "I think he hurt his balls on that play...don't you?...He's holding em' by God!"

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Carlin was a genius. It's a shame he isn't around now. Words matter and no profession plays with them more dishonestly than politics and the political game.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member