1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Musical Artists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Dec 19, 2004.

1. allan

allan Member

1. Charles Mingus

Sun Ra
    Miles
    Coltrane
    Captain Beefheart
    Zappa
    Prince
    Fela Kuti
    Juan Garcia Esquivel
    Howlin Wolf
    Jimmy Reed
    Robert Johnson
    Misfits w/Danzig
    Dead Moon
    Bad Brains
    Slayer

2. Dirt

Dirt Member

INPO:

Petra
    Chicago
    Little River Band
    Alabama
    Def Leppard
    Newsboys
    Third Day
    Boston
    Gold City
    Eagles

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

We need to hang out.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I will be listening to, some time today, "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" which I have read many to say is one of the greatest jazz albums of all-time. I am curious to hear what you think about this album, allan.

I will also throw in a vote for the Flaming Lips as I have both Yoshimi and the Soft Bulletin. Great, great stuf (especially "The Gash" off Soft Bulletin - what a sound collage that one is!).

Just got done listening to another favorite band that failed to get love from me earlier in Interpol. "Evil" off the 2nd album, Antics, is their best song ever, IMO.

5. allan

allan Member

BS&SL IS a great album. I believe it tells a story with sounds and moods instead of words and this is something he has done with other compositions. It really shows his strengths as a composer and a band leader. One thing I love about Mingus is how no matter how complex his compositions are, the music always swings, and IMO his music swings harder than anybody else. and this album really swings it has great dynamics and great horn arrangements. the trombone and the muted trumpet are the real standouts IMO. I think the use of the trombone is like a trademark of his, because this is an instrument that many other musicians overlooked. I also like how he gets that "big band" sound even when he only has a few musicians

6. allan

allan Member

Yeah I have noticed in some of the past threads that you like a lot of the same stuff that I do (70s funk, soul and R&B, 80s punk & hardcore) Prince and the Bad Brains are very special to me. Prince is probably the best musician/artist of our time and the bad brains, well there really isnt any other band quite like them. I have heard lots of hardcore and I have heard lots of reggae but nothing quite like what the Brains did, truly one of a kind. same with Prince, there is no one else like him, he rocks and funks all at the same time. I like artists that can do whatever they want and do it well, artists that are not tied down to any one style of music. that to me is what music is all about. I also respect any musician that can play all of his own instruments (i.e. zappa)
    So yeah we should hang out, but unfortunately I am in GA, and you are in TX (clear lake correct). too bad because up until last year I lived Houston for about ten years. I believe we are about the same age too (early 30s). maybe I will move back to Houston one day because I dont want to stay in GA. until then i guess we can just "hang" here on the bbs.