1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Musical Artists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Not a bad list, Anti, although #4 seems to be out of place with the rest of those artists.:p

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

in no order

willie nelson
    yes
    the beatles
    the pixies
    csn&y (mostly because Neil Young)
    Elvis Costello
    Primus
    Talking Heads
    Led Zepplin
    REM

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

pop/rock only:

DMB
    Sting/Police
    John Mayer
    U2

4. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nick Drake
    Elliott Smith
    Porcupine Tree

Rage against the Machine
    TOOL
    so many more......

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You and I are going to get along just fine.

You too, AB. I've been listening to a LOT of EWF recently.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Wow, Fiona Apple's getting plenty of love on this thread. I guess I'll pile some more on, since she is one of my favorite artists. In no particular order:

Fiona Apple
    Ben Folds / Ben Folds Five
    Weezer
    No Doubt
    Sheryl Crow

And newer artists that are climbing my charts:

Coldplay
    Frou Frou

Oh and special consideration goes to my favorite Hawiian Musical Artist:

Kealii Reichel (KAY-uh-lee-ee RAY-shell)

His traditional Hawaiian songs are soothing and melodious, and his pop music cover songs (like "In My Life" and "Come Sail Away") are very soulful, and filled with unexpected gravitas. And I really have to nominate his rendition of, "In My Life" as the best Beatles cover ever. I like it better than the original. You can check him out, and listen to some samples here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003ZVJ/002-2528176-1826430?v=glance

#26 m_cable, Dec 20, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

*adds m_cable to list of posters with excellent musical taste*

BTW, Weezer's new album is scheduled for release in early 2005. Although it will probably get pushed back like it always does. Rick Rubin worked on it although he didn't actually produce it. Should be interesting.

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Bob Marley
    Police
    Smashing Pumpkins
    John Lee Hooker
    BB King
    Prince
    Pink Floyd
    Dead Kennedys
    Pixies
    Sammy Davis Jr.

9. Chump

Chump Member

Korn
    TOOL
    A Perfect Circle
    Pantera
    Ozzy/Black Sabbath
    Pink Floyd
    Pearl Jam
    Marilyn Manson

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yeah, Fiona Apple's album keeps on getting pushed back too. When I heard that she broke up with Paul T. Anderson, I figured a new album would be just around the corner. Usually Miserable Fiona=bad for her, good for her music.

Supposedly the record labels are afraid that they can't promote it. Maybe she was too damn miserable this time, and came out with a bunch of Gregorian chants set to bebop music or something.

11. Summer Song Giver

I.N.P.O.

Pink Floyd
    Tool
    A Perfect Circle
    Pennywise
    Social Distortion
    Dwight Yoakum
    Keith Whitley
    Conway Twitty
    Willie Nelson
    Nirvana
    Aaron Tippin
    Sublime
    Eazy E

Eclectic much?

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

cable,

I heard the same thing about Fiona. The 3rd album was supposed to come out this past February, but the record label was worried that they could not find ONE song that they could market as a hit.

My question to them is "Who the f*ck cares?" Let her release the album the way SHE wants to, not the way THEY want. I am glad that it still is not out because that would have meant that Fiona's musical integrity was compromised (more than likely).

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

1) pink floyd
    2) Radiohead
    3) Tool
    4) Eric Clapton
    5) Guns N' Roses

14. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Top five hmmm...my roomate and I had this discussion the other day...

1. Beatles
    2. Zepplin
    3. NOFX
    4. Red Hot Chili Peppers (I know they sold out but I still love them)
    5. Radiohead

I think those guys could keep me happy listening to for the rest of my life.

Bottom 5

6. The Smiths
    7. The Cure
    8. Bad Religion (earlier stuff)
    9. Modest Mouse
    10. Johnny Cash

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

RUSH
    Pink Floyd
    Genisis
    Boston
    Triumph

I`m still stuck in the 80`s

16. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

DEVO
    Butthole Surfers
    Scratch Acid
    Thinking Fellers Union Local 282
    Les Savy Fav
    Suburban Lawns
    The Slits
    Trans Am
    Amon Tobin
    DJ Krush
    Crack: We Are Rock

etc...

MR. MEOWGI: we must be cut from a similar mold...;)

17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This is very tough...

Van Halen
    The Eagles
    Willie Nelson
    Michael Jackson
    Counting Crows

Also receiving votes: Rush, Tears for Fears, Oasis, George Strait, Alan Jackson, The Beatles, The Cure, Duran Duran, Travis Tritt

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

darkhorse, you just reminded me that i left the crows off my list...how could i do that??? 2nd favorite live performers.

19. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Iron Maiden
    Bruce Dickinson - Solo work
    Black Sabbath (Ozzy & Dio eras)
    Pantera (RIP - Dime)
    Dio - Solo Work
    Ozzy - Solo Work
    Deep Purple
    Rainbow
    Led Zepplin
    System of a Down
    Three Doors Down
    Disturbed
    KISS
    Megadeth

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Fiona fans RAWK!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Fiona Apple's New Album Deemed "Not Commercial Enough" by Sony Music executives, Shelved Indefinitely

International "Free Fiona!" campaign under way

In protest, thousands of Fiona Apple fans from around the world plan to mail apples to Sony Music headquarters in New York City as a symbol of their support for the singer.

Fiona Apple's third album, "Extraordinary Machine," has been complete since May of 2003, but Sony/BMG Music has decided not to release it to the public because it lacks, in the words of the album's producer Jon Brion, "an obvious single."

The campaign, "Free Fiona!" (www.freefiona.com) calls for the mailing of thousands of apples (plastic and real) to Andrew Lack, CEO of Sony Music, at his office in New York City. Fans as far away as New Zealand and Siberia are participating in the campaign.

Apple's "Tidal" (1996) and "When the Pawn..." (2000) were both certified Platinum by the RIAA, but her third album, "Extraordinary Machine," was deemed too experimental for audiences by Sony executives and consequently will not be released.

The campaign, less than two weeks old, has already received attention from MTV News and Corriere della Sera (Italy's leading daily newspaper), among others.

Andrew Lack, ex-president of NBC, replaced longtime Sony Music CEO Tommy Mattola in an effort to pull the company from its recent revenue slump. In the age of illegal digital downloading, CD sales have dropped sharply, and Lack was the answer. But Lack has no prior music industry experience, and the result was a shift in company focus to pop and hip-hop artists that are traditionally better sellers, a move no doubt with the bottom line in mind.

While Sony shareholders are no longer sweating, Fiona Apple fans are fuming. "Sony has a responsibility to its shareholders, but it also has a very important responsibility to the art of music itself," says Dave Muscato, founder of freefiona.com. "They should focus on the real problem - file sharing - and not some short-sighted and very harmful way to raise profits."

Muscato, a musician from Missouri USA, understands the sacrifices involved in producing art in favor of money, and his own band is active in the fight against illegal file sharing. But according to Muscato, "the major labels have a very real advantage over indies in industry influence and distribution power, but Sony and the other majors are abusing that power. It's not right, and they know it. And sooner or later, they're going to pay for it in sales. People are tired of being force-fed pop music."

Although Sony/BMG Music is a subsidiary of Sony, Inc, many fans are boycotting all Sony products until a release date is announced.

As one fan, Andrew Serduletz, stated on the official Free Fiona petition, "I hope Sony comes to their senses and realizes that one of the biggest reasons people aren't buying as many records is that most of the music being sold these days is pitiful. It's about time record companies start releasing and promoting the records of artists that are actually talented and creative. It just might catch on."

The website, freefiona.com, has had hundreds of thousands of visits since it went active two weeks ago. The petition is available there, as well as updates and a discussion forum about the campaign for fans.

CONTACT INFORMATION:
    Dave Muscato
    Founder, Free Fiona!
    (573) 424-0420 cell
    http://www.freefiona.com