1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Member of your least-favorite Party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Dec 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. neXXes

neXXes Member

He didn't say my least favorite party had to be the democratic party or the republican party. :)

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

John McCain

Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

I really would like to see KBH challenge Rick Perry in the next gubernatorial election. She has given signals that she would like to do so.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I was gonna say that too... and I am a Democrat. :D

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I am not a Democrat, but lately the Republicans are my least favorite of the major parties (I am not even counting the Nazi party or the Communist party).

John McCain. I would have voted for him in a second in the general election. He would have been a damn sight better than Bush.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dude, yes you are. :) come out of the closet, already!!!

i'm going with wild Bill Clinton. that guy is immensely personable. and, ultimately, i feel really sorry for him.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Me too, I would have voted for him over Gore and wouldn't have thought twice about it.

7. GladiatoRowdy

Dud, no I'm not. The closest to me philisophically is the Libertarian Party, but even they are pretty whacko about some issues. That is why I am trying to start the Middle Party.

8. GladiatoRowdy

Dud was supposed to read "Dude" as above.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Colin L. Powell

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hope so. I'd vote for her. She'd probably get 70% of the vote. Besides, she's a hottie. :D

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this week it's got to be Joe Lieberman, and, i can't believe i'm saying this, Hilary Rhodam Clinton...'scuse me while i go slit my wrists!

12. MadMax

tell me why you think you're a libertarian...because reading your posts here, i don't think you're anything close to that except on drug policy and abortion...which, by the way, are views shared by many in the democratic party.

13. GladiatoRowdy

Here are some of the issues on which the Libertarian Party and I are in agreement (these are from the Libertarian Party website http://www.lp.org/issues).

Campaign Finance
    Prohibition
    Crime and violence
    Education (to an extent)
    Freedom of Speech
    Gun Laws
    Internet
    Immigration
    National Defense
    Privacy

That is a pretty good match to my philosophy, especially considering that on my top two issues (campaign finance and prohibition), the Libertarians are very close to me where the two major parties continue to stick their heads in the sand in order to continue raping and pillaging the system.

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Not according to a poll that was run in the Chronicle.

[​IMG]

link to article

Poll puts Perry, Hutchison neck and neck for governor
    By CLAY ROBISON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN -- A Republican gubernatorial race between Gov. Rick Perry and U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison would be a toss-up if the GOP primary were held today, the Scripps Howard Texas Poll indicates.

Perry, however, would handily beat back a challenge from Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, and so would Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, the survey shows.

Hutchison, meanwhile, leads other prominent Republican officeholders from Texas, including President Bush, in job approval ratings.

Bush's job approval score in his home state, although still strong, has fallen 7 percentage points since August and 13 points since June.

The next governor's race will be in 2006, the same year that Hutchison's Senate seat will be up for election. With all statewide offices in Texas in the hands of Republicans, there already has been widespread speculation that Perry may face a re-election challenge from within his own party.

Hutchison considered running against Perry last year, and Strayhorn has hinted she may challenge Perry in 2006. Strayhorn has angrily blamed Perry for legislative action transferring two key oversight programs from her office to the Legislative Budget Board.

The comptroller also openly feuded with Perry, Dewhurst and other legislative leaders over budgetary issues this year.

Out of a sample of Texans identifying themselves as Republican primary voters, 45 percent said they would vote for Hutchison for governor if the Republican primary were held now.

Forty-one percent said they would vote for Perry, 1 percent said they would prefer another candidate, and 13 percent were undecided. The sample of 393 people had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

Sixty-eight percent of the same group, however, said they would vote for Perry if Strayhorn were the challenger. Some 17 percent backed Strayhorn, while the remainder were either undecided or preferred another candidate.

Dewhurst led Strayhorn, 44 percent to 28 percent, in a hypothetical race for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor, which also won't be on the ballot until 2006.

The telephone survey was conducted Nov. 14 through Dec. 6 by the Scripps Howard Research Center.

"Gov. Perry has often said the only poll that matters is on Election Day," said the governor's spokeswoman, Kathy Walt.

"One need look no further for proof than last week's polls that predicted Oklahoma would beat Kansas State by two touchdowns," she added, referring to a football game that the University of Oklahoma lost Saturday.

Hutchison and Strayhorn downplayed speculation about their political plans.

"I'm focusing on my job in Washington. I wouldn't even think about my plans for 2006 for another year or more," Hutchison said.

Some 62 percent of the poll's total respondents, which included a larger pool of 1,000 Texans, said they liked the job Hutchison was doing in the U.S. Senate, while 25 percent disapproved.

Perry's approval rating, 46 percent, was only slightly higher than his disapproval mark, 44 percent. But he fared better than he did in a similar survey in August, at the height of the legislative fight over congressional redistricting, when his negatives, 48 percent, were higher than his positives, 44 percent.

Bush's job approval mark, 58 percent, was the lowest it has been in the Texas Poll since the first few months of his administration, when it was 57 percent. It has fallen off from 71 percent in June and 65 percent in August.

In the new survey, 41 percent of respondents said they disapproved of the job Bush was doing in the White House.

Strayhorn's performance as comptroller was rated positively by 46 percent and negatively by 22 percent. But 32 percent of the respondents either didn't recognize her name or didn't have an opinion of her work.

Strayhorn has won three statewide races, but she remarried earlier this year and changed her name from the more familiar Rylander.

Dewhurst's job performance positives outnumbered his negatives, 40 percent to 31 percent. And freshman U.S. Sen. John Cornyn had a positive rating, 42 percent to 26 percent.

Twenty-eight percent approved of Texas House Speaker Tom Craddick's record, and 30 percent disapproved. But 42 percent didn't rate the speaker's performance. Unlike the other officeholders, Craddick isn't elected statewide.

Forty-nine percent of the registered voters polled said they planned to vote in the Republican presidential primary next year, and 34 percent planned to cast ballots in the Democratic primary.

About one-fifth (19 percent) of Democratic primary voters said they were undecided on a presidential nominee. Howard Dean, Wesley Clark, Joe Lieberman and Dick Gephardt were in a statistical tie for the lead among decided Democrats; no one had more than 16 percent.

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Legalized marajuana is more important to you than the war? :eek:

16. MadMax

andy -- the epitome of the libertarian party is the free market system and laissez-faire economics...you don't strike me as such from your posts here.

understand, this isn't criticism...just me trying to figure you out! :D

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Actually, I think it's pretty telling that she can get 45% of the vote (even more than the incumbent) while at the same time downplaying the thought of even running.

Of course, they polled less than 400 people on this, so who knows.

18. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

John Tower, RIP--friend of the family and could booze and womanize with the best of em'!!

19. GladiatoRowdy

Prohibition affects much more than just "legalized mar1juana." Prohibition in the form of the "War on Drugs" is a war that has been waged on the American people for over 30 years and will only get worse as long as we attempt the impossible.

If I had my choice on which war to end first, that would be easy. The "War on Drugs" doesn't work and has sucked more money out of our coffers than Iraq ever could. I would kill it in a second if I had the power and we would see the problems with drugs shrivel up nearly overnight (much like we saw after alcohol prohibition).

Now that our Cowboy in Chief has gotten us into Iraq, we must stay there long enough to try to get a responsible government installed.

20. GladiatoRowdy

Yes, and this is the biggest issue that I have with the Libs. I believe that the government must play police officer to protect the people from others (people, corporations, unions, etc.) that would do them harm. I wish the government didn't have to play this role, but unfortunately it seems as if it is necessary.