1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Hakeem Memories...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JAG, Jul 22, 2001.

1. JAG

JAG Member

Ok, whether Hakeem ends up leaving the Rockets or not, the end is clearly in sight. So, having said that, I'm going to get all misy-eyed here, and suggest it's a time to appreciate what the man brought to us. So, I ask you, what is/are your favorite specific memories of Hakeem in his storied career?

A couple that immediately come to mind for me are;

That whirling dervish move (one of many) that he put on David Robinson in the playoffs in, I think, '94..( I never get years right, so feel free to correct me). You know, the one where he shows ball with arm extended under the basket, D-Rob bites, and he twirls, comes up the other side of the baksket and puts it in, and then, being the class act that he is, bends down and picks up Robinson's jock for him..

The time he chased Kevin Johnson down (also playoffs) and blocked him from behind. This one still kills me! KJ was acknowledged as one of the fastes guys in the league, had a clear breakaway, and looked so stunned after Dream blocked his gimmie...

Ok, so those are my favorite Hakeem memories that come to mind right now, but I would very much enjoy anyone else's descriptions of theirs, as they might bring back some I've forgotten...

------------------

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The one where he was a free agent and nobody wanted him back.

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Are you talking about the break away Rod Strickland (then of the Blazers) had during the playoffs?

Dream came up from behind and swatted it into the crowd.

------------------
    13-0

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Believe it or not, the game against Utah last season when he came back from a blood condition that was supposed to keep him out for six months. That standing O, and then his performance afterwards, was classic.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

5. JAG

JAG Member

No, I'm pretty sure it was KJ, although there may have been one involving RS too. That would be cool, but I don't think I've seen that one...when was it?

------------------

6. Smoke

Smoke Member

He did it to both of them.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Oh. I remember the KJ one now. That was a classic.

------------------
    13-0

8. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

DOn't forget that KJ also nailed down a facial on Hakeem... [​IMG]

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

[This message has been edited by LiLStevie3 (edited July 22, 2001).]

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm sick of posting in these "your favorite memory of Hakeem" threads. Damn, this is like the 10th one... I wish he'd either stay or leave because I'm getting sick of posting my favorite memory of him every 2 or 3 months... [​IMG]

Anyway

• Xavier McDaniel coming down the lane and swooping in for a throwdown of titanic proportions. Hakeem meets him at the apex of his jump, then blocks the ball AND McDaniel down. McDaniel collapses looking like he was just driven through the ground like a fertilizer spike. Somehow I think I'm embellishing the story a bit, but it was that awesome a block.
    • Hakeem running KJ down to swat a shot from behind.
    • Hakeem juking David Robinson out of his underwear at least 3 times in one possession in which he was under the goal, showed him the ball, shoved it down Robinson's throat, pulled it out of his ass, bounced it off his head, didn't get called for 3 seconds, laid it in, and smiled for the cameras. I think I may have exaggerated here, but I think you all remember it.

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited July 22, 2001).]

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Damn, what happened to the search feature?

[​IMG]

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

11. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Favorite was when he reamed DROB and SHAQ in 94-95 playoffs. Also when he tipped in the game 1 OT clyde drexler layup versus Orlando in the 94-95 Finals.

Two I dont want to remember-

KJ dunking on him and when he missed the dunk on national TV versus New York-wide open. [​IMG]

------------------
    Reporter asks "How close were you to the victim?" Shorty says,"Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left." Shorty - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

[This message has been edited by Wink3Cat5 (edited July 22, 2001).]

12. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

Does anybody have a link to a recap and boxscore of the game where Dream blocked KJ?? Maybe a pic? Post it please. Thanks.

------------------

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The 3 against Orlando at the buzzer. A moment of unDreamlike exuberance.

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Too many memories on the court. The blocks were always my favorite. The record-setting block vs the Suns on that final day of the season in 96. All the big blocks in the playoffs. Versus Robinson, KJ, Patrick, Shaq, Malone, etc. I still have this article from the 93-94 run that I cut of USA Today International Edition when I was hiking through Europe and trying to find sports bars with ESPN International(or SkySport or whatever it was called over there back then): TOTAL ECLISPE OF THE SUNS was the headline, and it had Barkley getting stuffed by Dream in game 4. Great picture.

Best commercial:

He and Clyde get hijacked by the angry Knicks fan cabbie in New York.

Worst:

Dream and Shaq dressed up like schoolboys on a bike made for two riding through some park for the Taco Bell double decker taco. Also that Pay per View fiasco that never happened that tied in to this commercial. Man that would have sucked. So glad it was cancelled.

------------------

16. Colby

Colby Member

Wink - That game winning tip in game one is awsome. Get out your Double Clutch video and watch it for something extra. As he makes that tip, his left hand is on the shoulder of the defender next to him. Great boxing out. Great play. [​IMG]

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Forward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I also like the Orlando three.

Also, in the '93 playoffs, Hakeem swatting Shawn Kemp like 4 times in a row. It was great...Kemp gets the ball in the paint, shoots -- rejected. Gets the rebound, shoots again -- rejected. Gets the rebound again, shoots -- rejected. Awesome!

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What about in the 94 Finals against the Knicks. Dream posted up Ewing on the left block. Spun off to his right, down the the baseline and threw down a dunk- all in like 2 seconds. Made Ewing look like a total chump.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Definitely Dream blocking Kemp's game tying layup in game 3 of the 1997 Western Conference semi-finals. Charles got the rebound and hit the game clinching FTs, but Dream made it happen. It helped the Rockets regain homecourt advantage and go up 2 games to 1 on the Supersonics enroute to the Rockets FINALLY beating the Sonics in a playoff series! Sweet! Another favorite moment was Game 7 of that same series where Dream caught a fullcourt pass, and jammed it home sealing the game and the series, and Maloney jumping into Dream's arm and celebrating the win. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

20. BurntOrange

BurntOrange New Member

My favorite two are:
    1. In the Hakeem the Dream video, Robert Reid says that when facing the Sonics one time he said "hakeem there's three guy's on you" and Hakeem replies, give me the ball, I'll dunk on all of them.
    2. During the 15?-0 streak when Hakeem totally dominated Patrick Ewing and everyone knew that the Rockets were for real.

------------------