1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Cologne

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

One more question... since it is more clean/light-smelling, it seems Artisan is more of a summer/everyday scent. Would you say the same for the Black version, or would it not be appropriate for everyday wear?

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Sampled some colognes earlier... YSL La Nuit - this stuff is awesome... also Hanae Mori surprised me...

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Also sampled this today... fantastic...

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sorry. I just read your question. Either can be worn daily. I've been wearing Artisan Black daily to work lately. I can't decide which I like better. lol.

I remember liking La Nuit, too. I have a bottle of Hanae Mori. It's an oddball fragrance to me. It has that 1990's syrupy sweet vanilla note to it (I think it came out in the 90's), but not brutally overpowering like if you were to overdo A*Men (holy crap, too much of that could wake up a cemetary). I like the scent after it dries down after a few minutes, but the smell can be polarizing.

Where did you go to sample the colognes?

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Went to Nordstrom's and Sephora... they were super helpful and even gave me tons of samples to take home even though I didn't buy anything (even told them I wasn't gonna buy that day and was just doing research)... got samples of YSL La Nuit, Hanae Mori, Mont Blanc Legend, Bleu De Chanel, YSL L'Homme, Acqua Di Gio Essenza, Gucci Guilty Black, Tom Ford Noir, and Spicebomb... they all smell pretty good, will prob eventually buy bottles of 2 or 3 of them...

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

^^^ also, they had to hand-make most of the samples... they put them in mini spray bottles... was very impressed, the only samples I ever remember from back in the day were those crappy splash-on bottles. Seems like you could get at least 3-5 wearings out of each sample too. New to the cologne game, but it seems like it could get dangerously addicting lol.

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Spicebomb is the black Drakkar.

8. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Wow.
    On that note, I'm going cologne shopping during lunch break today. I'll try to keep these notes in mind.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

What do you mean by this? Not sure if you're talking about the black version of a cologne (i.e. Artisan Black) or some kind of racial joke (i.e. Black Jeremy Lin) lol...

Cool... get/sample anything?

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It's been a while since this thread has been bumped, but since then, I've ordered La Nuit, Hanae Mori (EDP + EDT), and Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts. All are awesome so far. Women seem to especially love the La Nuit. I'm still getting my feet wet with the designer fragrances before I wade into the niches, but right now I'm just going with what I enjoy smelling on myself.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

This guys tips will get you laid.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hilarious. I had someone buy me Tommy Bahama Set Sail Martinique a few days ago for my birthday. It's become my work cologne. I forgot how much I love aquatic scents. I also have Hanae Mori. YSL makes some great colognes - I almost bought La Nuit a while back.

I also bought the following 3 recently on blind buys based on recommendations :

Baldessarini Strickly Private by Hugo Boss - it's ok, nothing great. A bit sweet and typical of some of the more modern stuff. Cool looking bottle. *EDIT* Ok, I smelled it again. It smells better than "ok". It smells good, but if I recall, it didn't last too long on my skin. Still a pretty good fragrance if you're into this type.

Encre Noire by Lalique - this is one of those colognes that's cheap, but smells better than its cheapness. Definite vetiver vibe to it. Another one I've started wearing at work.

Déclaration D'Un Soir by Cartier - love this cologne, but have only smelled it - haven't tried it on myself yet. It's definitely got some kind of rose/spicy thing going on. If you're against floral smells, it may not be for you. Seems like the sillage seems strong, so I doubt I'd wear this at work. But man did it smell great on some Kleenex. It'll probably smell like crap on me. I'll be pissed if it doesn't work out!

#133 Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

not sure where you are located, but this fragrance is awesome during winter months...especially for the younger crowd. I still get plenty of questions from the ladies..

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    La Nuit is a great fragrance for a date.

Did you get HM by Hanae Mori or HIM? Both are amazing. I think i've been more partial towards HM lately though.

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Wow, I'm glad to see there's still interest in this thread! I just bought St. Martinique a few days ago at Marshall's... it's pretty similar to St. Bart's in the drydown. I really enjoy both of them.

Some other cheapies but goodies I've gotten recently have been Cuba Royal (copy of 1 Million), Michael Jordan Legend (I know, I know, never thought I would actually own a MJ cologne, but it's actually a very well done version of Bond No.9 best seller New Haarlem), and Rocawear Evolution (bought it for the lols and it was cheap, but surprisingly it smells pretty good!).

I'm still not into niche houses too much... my most recent designer purchases have been Gucci Pour Homme II (amazing!!! discontinued, get it before the price doubles like Gucci Pour Homme I), Versace Pour Homme (got the 6.7 oz for $48), Burberry London, and Midnight in Paris EDP. Have high expectations for MIP EDP and Burberry London, both should be arriving by mail this week.

BTW, I almost pulled the trigger on blind-buying Encre Noire, but some of the reviews scare me. Does it really smell like ink? Actually, I think I may enjoy the smell of ink lol. What's your opinion on it? I guess it's not really a risk as you can get the big bottle for ~30 bucks on amazon, I just don't want something I'll never wear. Bottle looks amazing though.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I'm in NorCal, so pretty much any fragrance can be used year-round. I really like Spicebomb, but I have too many frags in my rotation right now that are in the same category. I'll end up buying a big bottle eventually, just not sure when.

La Nuit is probably my favorite right now. It just works all the time. I got HM by Hanae Mori, not HiM. Huge fan of HM... a lot of people say it's too sweet or smells like a lemon bomb, but I don't get that. Just smells good to me. I've heard HiM smells like Gucci Pour Homme II, which I absolutely love. Is this true? GPHII has everything going for it but longevitiy... if HiM is similar with better longevity, I will have to get a bottle.

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Also DudeWah, I sniffed Jaipur Pour Homme, although on a test strip... I got a really strong orange/citrus from it, but it kind of had the 'old man smell'. Kinda reminded me of Terre d'Hermes. I will have to test this one out again on my skin next time. I want to get Aventus, but the batch variations make it seem sketchy. What's your take on this? Is this a real thing or overblown?

19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>

<br>
    Jaipur does have a good amount of citrus in it. I'm very biased towards a few types of smell: citrus, oriental, woodsy. Jaipur has a good mix of all of them. It smells fantastic on the skin.

Also, there's something about Gucci Pour Homme 2 that has always been a bit off putting for me. I'm not sure what it is. But I just don't like it. A point to note as well is that I really try to steer clear from Gucci fragrances. They all fade away WAY too fast.

It's interesting to note that both Dolce Gabana and Gucci are both housed under Proctor & Gamble fragrances, but in my opinion Gucci is way inferior to D&G. D&G "the one" and "pour homme" are better than anything Gucci has ever put out. I kinda still like Gucci Gucci somewhat, though.

That being said, HIM is relatively similar to Gucci pour homme 2. I think it smells way better though. I have an extra bottle of the EDT. I would have given it to you if you didn't live in NorCal. Sorry man!

Lastly, I have heard of the batch thing when it comes to Aventus. People have mentioned it. For the most part I haven't ever really noticed. Take that for what it's worth. But then again, Creed is a huge investment. Maybe it's better to just buy some decants online and not put down 300+

Side note, so English Laundry has this "new" fragrance out called Tahitian Waters. It kind of smells like Aventus mixed with Virgin Island Water. It makes me lol because it really just smells like Malibu Rum to me haha

#140 DudeWah, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.