1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Cologne

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DreamRoxCoogFan

I had an allergic reaction to that crap back in the day. For reals. Terrible stuff

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I used it yesterday. Same bottle from when I was in like 8th grade. For real for reals.

3. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

This thread is six pages long and no love for the Drak? C'mon now - this is how we got things done back in the day.

[​IMG]

4. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

5. tharges

tharges Member

Kouros has gotten me the most compliments from women, very unique scent.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I currently alternate between:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. BleedsRocketRed

I am a big Emporio Armani fan. I have been wearing it for years still get random compliments or questions on what it is.

Chrome
    Curve
    Fahrenheit
    Pi

Are ones I have used in the past.

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I'm gonna pick up 2 of the Varvatos (there's a deal if you get 2 bottles)... how would you rank the Artisan vs. Artisan Black and the Original vs. Vintage? Leaning towards getting the Original and Artisan Black...

9. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I've only ever bought one bottle of cologne in my life and I love it.

[​IMG]

10. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Aqua DiGio is a timeless classic.
    Izzy miyake also smells nice.
    Lacoste Pour Homme gets it done.
    Currently I'm rocking Abercrombie Fierce. Had a few compliments.

11. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I smell like the Chronic.

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yes, I'm old school! More old than school I guess!
    I started using this many years ago and I never out grew it.

13. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

My husband wears Cool Water...mostly because I love it. (His cologne of choice would be his Right Guard and baby powder :( )

He doesn't use too much, just love to rub my nose in his chest when he's getting dressed in the morning lol

You have great taste! :grin:

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I hope I never sit next to you, and from your posts I don't think I have to worry. Your stupid ass

after every post is also irritating and stupid as ****. Your cologne fits you and I'm sure Wal-Mart appreciates your business.

15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LOL! Judging by your posts in this thread, you seem to know your colognes. Any experience with the John Varvatos line, in particular the questions from my previous post?

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just bought some Armani Code Summer ... eh. Wasn't as good as I had hoped. I should have bought it online and saved a few bucks. Need to try Gucci Guilty next.

I use Varvatos Artisan and Artisan Black all the time. They smell very similar (duh). They both have dominant citrus notes to them, so if you're not into citrus scents, you probably won't like them. They get mixed reviews - like most colognes, some love them, some are eh about them.

If you're worried about spending $50+ on something you won't like and then have a bottle of it left over, try getting decants from places like The Perfumed Court (http://theperfumedcourt.com). I usually get a list of about 10 or so colognes I'd like to smell but can't find anywhere in town and order small samples from here. One thing I've learned from doing this is there are a lot of $300+ colognes out there that smell like stank foot... well, at least to me.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Says DaGlide as he hops back into his IROC-Z, opens his shirt to expose his gold medallion, speeds off and lets the wind buffet the mane on his chest ...

Not gonna hate, I still love the scent, but scared to wear it because you know it's going to cause mass flashbacks at every grocery store you go to for the 35-40+ crowd. :grin:

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I like citrus scents... which one would you pick out of the two? I'm leaning towards the Black cause people say it lasts longer...

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I like both, but I've used Artisan Black a lot less. The Artisan's problem is probably it's longevity - it doesn't last long. Artisan Black smells a lot like Artisan, but it has some woodsy scent thrown in there as well. Black also smells heavier/denser than the regular Artisan. The regular Artisan is a bit more clean/light-smelling. I can't remember the longevity of Artisan Black, since I haven't used it as much, though.

I like both and really can't choose between the two, but like I said, they both smell similar. I got both as part of gift sets at Dillard's or Macy's online when they had a clearance sale around Christmas a couple of years ago.

Another cologne, the original John Varvatos for Men was alright, but there was something when it dried down I didn't like. Lastly, I tried Varvatos Vintage and couldn't stand that one. All I kept smelling was burnt caramel, but it seems to be popular among Varvatos fans.

Try them out before buying if you can. Colognes smell differently on everybody and to everybody.

1 person likes this.
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I work part time at a big department store selling cologne. There's a few things i've noticed:

1) There are lots of guys who have no idea what smells good and just buy Gucci/Dolce/Chanel by default. Lots of women do this too.

2) Women, while they usually have pretty decent taste, suck at helping their husbands/boyfriends/lovers at finding cologne. Seriously, here's a good piece of advice: leave your lady friend at home. Most likely she's gonna steer you into some generic **** that smells whatever. I know you want to please her and all because "she's gonna be smelling you." But, go by yourself and try your own stuff. I guarantee you she'll think whatever you're wearing smells good no matter what.

3) Men don't realize the power of "Eau de Parfums." Unless you're regularly shopping at Neimans or Saks wearing Creed or Clive Christian (I have to nowadays because I can't smell anything else lol) there are few parfums for men.

Most mens fragrances are "Eau de Toilette" which means they only use about 7% oil in the making of the fragrance. This the reason why a lot of men's scents do not last at all. Parfums have about 15% oil in their makeup. They have lasting power.

That being said, the Parfums that are in the 100-150 price range, you should strongly consider. These include: Acqua di Gio Essenza, Boucheron Pour Homme, Boucheron Jaipur Homme (this is seriously amazing stuff), and a few others.

4) The way that the fragrance smells on the card is NOT how it will actually smell. Once you've narrowed it down to a few, you need to spray the three or four fragrances on different parts of your arm and see how it works on you.

Everyone's body chemistry is different. Issey Miyake smells like **** on most people. But for some people, it smells amazing.

5) When spraying cologne on yourself there is only ONE proper way on how to do it. You spray each wrist once. Do NOT rub your wrists together. Then, you spray twice on either side of your neck. Pro tip: If some stuff doesn't last super long on you, do an extra spray on your elbow. it releases slower.

6) Creed Aventus/Himalya, Clive Christian C/X, and Tom Ford Oud Wood are some of the best fragrances i've ever smelled. The only thing comparable is random unnameable "Musk" scents I picked up trekking around the middle east/southern europe

6 people like this.