1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Cologne

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not sure about Black, but I once bought Bvlgari Blv years ago. Smelled like baby powder laced with floor cleaner. Nasty. Still regret it to this day. Smelled nice at the store. But sprayed it at home and was swearing somebody laced that stuff with something. lol.

2. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

[​IMG]
    I honestly don't even know what to expect, just saw that 1000+ people bought it and went ahead and did too.

black would be a blind buy. From review say they love the smell and it's like cracking, but the beginning smells like a rubber tire and the end is feminine. Not sure what to expect.

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I like to check fragrantica before blind-buying... here are the pages for the Ferragamo and Bulgari Black:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Salvatore-Ferragamo/Salvatore-Ferragamo-pour-Homme-659.html

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Bvlgari/Black-154.html

Here is a link to the Midnight in Paris I was talking about... fragrancenet has it crazy cheap (<$40 for a 4.2oz EDP, this was originally well over $100 when it came out).

http://www.fragrancenet.com/midnigh...eef-and-arpels/mens-fragrances/mf/en_US/21724

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'd just like to add an update for the blind buys I just mentioned buying since I've had the chance to wear some of them :

Nautica Voyage : Like I said, I paid less than $16. It smells good for everyday/workwear that won't be offensive. It smells like something I've worn in the past, but I can't remember what. It's kind of a generic aquatic that could be considered a bit boring, nothing earth-shattering or new, but good for the price, I guess.

Spice Bomb : Great fragrance. I really dug this the only time I wore it so far. I'll have to reserve comment, but it's definitely in the rotation. Starts off with some oddball sweet-but-spicy lightly fruity blast that I thought wouldn't end well, but the drydown was something still spicy, but old school. I was afraid it'd be another bubble-gum, syrupy drydown, but nope. Love this.

Santal Majuscule : Man, was this a big risk, but with the sandalwood, rose, and cacao notes, I gave it a whirl. Wow, am I glad I did. This has turned out to be one of the best buys I've made in the last 5 years, probably. It's not for every guy since it does have the rose notes and that may be too feminine for some, but to me, it's awesome. It's a unisex fragrance. I don't know if I like this or the Declaration d'Un Soir better, but they're both 2 of my favorite purchases in the past 5 years. I'd suggest smelling it first before buying it if you're wary of unisex frags. It's weird that I went for this blind since I'd always wanted to try Serge Lutens' Chergui since it always received popular reviews. Maybe I'll try that in the future.

I haven't worn The Golden Secret yet... maybe I'll risk that one tomorrow. :grin:

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Spicebomb was one I was definitely going to ask for when I go to macys and the santal sounds interesting. Thanks Dr. Gave me more options. Which do you prefer for going out at night?

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Whoever asked if pure shot was worth it. I definitely think so.

For that 50 dollar deal especially.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you're asking between Santal Majuscule and Spicebomb, flip a coin. I'd wear either one, but I can guarantee you that of the two Santal Majuscule is the one nobody around you has smelled before. If you like Santal Majuscule, try Declaration d'Un Soir as well - another rose scent.

8. SK34

SK34 Member

So I do I figure out what my skin type is? I can't tell if my colognes smell good on me or if others can smell it.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Not sure I understand the question... there's basically two skin types - oily or dry. Oily skin tends to make fragrances last longer and project better whereas dry skin eats it up. Everyone's nose will perceive it somewhat differently, so all that should matter is if you enjoy how the cologne smells on you. As far as checking on the projection, you should ask those close to you (friends/family) if they can smell it to determine the right amount to use without gassing everyone out.

*** BTW, for those interested in the John Varvatos house, they are releasing a new Artisan flanker named Artisan Acqua. I believe Dr of Dunk was one that was a big fan of the Artisan line, as am I. I didn't think the bottles could get much better, but this might be the most aesthetic bottle I've ever seen. Will definitely be picking this up whenever it hits the shelves. Bottle looks so hnnnnnnnggggggggg

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/John-Varvatos/Artisan-Acqua-22068.html

[​IMG]

10. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

So I went to macys and asked if they had this so I could try it and I got a funny confused look, then 2 or 3 employees went above and beyond customer service and looked online and every bottle they had and said they've never heard of it. Was pretty funny.

Where exactly did you buy it?

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

1984. timeless. easy.
    woody:
    [​IMG]

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    That's really interesting. For some reason there's never as big an emphasis or support for the John Varvatos line. I didn't even know this was coming out soon.

I love Artisan and Artisan black though. I have about 3 bottles of black. And a few of the John Varavatos original. I bought Spicebomb today finally btw.

Also, has anyone smelled Vetiver by Guerlain? I heard from a coworker that I would probably like it. I might have to try and go find it somewhere.

Oh and last thing, I wish anyone I knew had a bottle of very irresistible by Givenchy. I want one but dont actually wanna pay full price for it at this point lol.

13. Asian Sensation

There's a lotta guys with some funky ass taste in here.

14. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This is stuff is phenomenal!

Key thing is that the smell last a long time as well.

15. davestrate

davestrate Member

Any ideas for top 10 women's fragrances?

I've heard of most and used most of the ones listed (never heard of Clive Christian but willing to try it). I've tended to stick with the Issey Miyake's, Chanel's and the Givenchy's given their longevity on my skin and clothing, sometimes I'll shower and wash my clothes several times and their smells are ever present.

Tom Ford's I've never smelled or at least not consciously, and from the reviews I am feeling like one of those might be my next.

Thanks

Now I need an equivalent for my wife! Any ideas???

16. davestrate

davestrate Member

Where can I find the 20% code, all I get offered is 15%

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The one in your image.

Ferragamo sounds intriguing. If it's anything like their wallets, it'll be top notch.

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I'm not familiar with higher end women's fragrances (most of the girls I know wear the standard stripper perfumes), but I'm sure Creed/Tom Ford/Jo Malone/Guerlain will have something interesting for your wife. You should be able to get samples of all of them at Neiman Marcus.

As far as fragrancenet, use 'REMT3' - 21% off plus free shipping on orders over $59. Also, go to the site thru ebates.com for an extra 6% cashback.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Cool. I love Artisan and Artisan Black, but I don't like all of Varvatos' fragrances, so I'll see if I can at least go smell it and not buy it. lol.

Bought it with a 20% off coupon on FragranceNet.com as a blind buy. If you were at Macy's, you should've asked if they had some Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir in stock. It has a similar rose note to it. If you don't like it, you may not like Santal Majuscule. Declaration d'Un Soir is a cleaner/brighter scent, whereas Santal Majuscule has more of a Middle Eastern/incense vibe. Definitely smell it before you buy, though - it's a lot of money to spend on something you end up not liking. lol.

I just looked on Serge Lutens' site... call these people up and see if they have it in stock : http://www.kuhl-linscomb.com/main.htm

Like I said above, both Artisans are awesome colognes. Their longevity on my skin is only about average, but still worth it. What do you think of Spicebomb?

I have a bottle of it. It's one of those that you'll find some people who like it because they love vetivers and it's one of the classic vetivers in history, but others who hate it because it smells way too old school. I don't see too many 20 year olds pulling this one off - it seems more like something to use to overpower cigar smoke. lol. I like it to an extent, but have to admit at times it just smells like really strong soap. And God help you if you overspray - you could drop a gorilla at 10 feet with the projection alone (well, at least on me). It's definitely a try-before-you-buy, but then I'd say that about any cologne like this that's 50+ years old.

20. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member