1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Fatphobia"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 27, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So who gets to set the standard for what an undesirable is?

What would you consider undesirable?

Nook likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

They cannot make you pay a higher tax rate based on your weight.

They can more highly tax or ban food products that are especially bad for your health - but it is actually Republicans against it.

Xerobull and jiggyfly like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

This is the problem I have. It seems that there are a group of men that seems to think that their standard or beauty is held by everyone else, and it really isn't true. They fail to realize that beauty is some-what arbitrary and there is a fair amount of variance based on gender, age, culture and sub-culture and personal experience.

I heard a very well educated and bright man, Jordan Peterson try to tell people what is and isn't attractive and of course it was in line with his personal preferences.... it is actually a form of entitlement.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The owner or manager of the bar/club. It's their business and if the bar/club is packed, they can easily make that call. That gets communicated to the doorman.

For example: I was told 'no thugs'. You can tell a thug by their body language and quality of clothes (meaning, are the clothes worn out/wrinkled to hell? not style). It also has zero to do with race. And once you say $20 cover (or more), they just turn around and walk away.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the chicks I quoted other than their drama. Some guys like thic ladies, and there's always the last call pickups.

#64 Xerobull, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which moron are we talking about?

but yes, short answer: I.D.I.O.T.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yep.

And then you add in the fact that those people on the door are on some kinda power trip and bring their own prejudices, and that just makes it more arbitrary.

About 10 years ago I went out to one of the clubs in the heights with some co workers and had to wait an exorbitant amount of time to get in just to have people standing around and looking pretty nobody was dancing, and the club was not really packed or jumping, and I realized this is not a place I would be interested in going to on a regular.

Not many other black men in the club, and I probably would not have gotten in if I was not with a crowd of mostly white women.

It's amazing how a veneer of exclusivity makes people put up with a lot.

"Pretty people" have the worst parties or clubs they go to.

Nook likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

clearly you haven't paid attention to the Kardashians . . .

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jordan Peterson is bright in the sense that he is an expert panderer for entitled white 15-30 year old males.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No you cannot tell a thug by their body language or quality of clothes, thugs can have quality clothes and no body language and fake thugs are what you see in clubs most of these days, everybody wants to be seen as a thug or thug adjacent.

Thugs these days are all about the drip.

Thugs also don't mind paying $20 covers, hell when I was going out to clubs 15 years ago 20 dollar cover was not that big a deal.

You are way out of touch, where are you getting this stuff from.

Thugging is a style these days, and we know when you say thug who you are trying to stop.

Bull I love you like a cousin, but you really seem to live in a bit of a bubble.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Look up

The point is up there.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Xerobull

You described exactly what I was talking about- fake thugs. The $ amount is irrelevant as long as it is 'expensive' and that will keep thugs out. Drip/bling has been a thing as long as I've been around. Body language and quality and care of clothes goes a long, long way. I worked in prisons and as a doorman, and I know exactly what I'm talking about. A real thug is a thug.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Brilliance.

13. Nook

Nook Member

He has a high IQ and on some topics he is extremely knowledgeable. I don't agree with him on a lot of issues, but I don't question his intelligence or knowledge, just his conclusions.

Invisible Fan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He is intelligent. He was a tenured professor who is an actual expert on a actual field.

No doubt about that. But he has become much more than that. Dude literally hosts a show on the Daily Wire. It's his full time gig now to be a right wing edgelord pundit.

Nook likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I couldn't see what you were responding to, so, being modest as I am, I naturally assumed you were talking about me :D.

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I look forward to 10's of thousand of new threads in that case.

The morons being random people on the internets complaining about whatever

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But fake thugs are all that are in clubs these days, and nobody is wearing wrinkly stuff to a club if they actually want to get in.

I have no idea what working in a prison has to do with anything, so let me get this straight you would let in a real thug and not a fake thug or vice versa?

Or do you just turn all thug looking patrons away?

If you did that these days' nobody would be in the club.

I don't know when you worked as doorman but attire has come a long way from the stripey and if you think 20 dollars is turning anybody away these days I have to wonder if we are talking about the same type of club.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I worked at a club across the street from Love Street, by Allen's Landing, one summer in 1968. My cousin's band leased the club for the summer and I was doing the light show. To our collective dismay, the club immediately became a hangout of the Bandidos. We didn't have a doorman, but I doubt if it would have made any difference. Some of the Bandits were fat. Gotta stay on topic.

We still had other people come in, because the music was good (and what I was doing helped), but the atmosphere was far from what we were trying to create. Fortunately, my shift ended at midnight and I walked across to Love Street and the 13th Floor Elevators, Bubble Puppy, or the Moving Sidewalks. They were open until 2am, and sometimes later.

19. Xerobull

I am qualified based on life experiences and job experiences to spot a real thug. You may not be able to grasp that due to life experience and that's ok. Think of it this way- you know when you see a bad person right? I worked doors until six years ago. It hasn't been that long.

As for the money, you're missing my point. $200. Is that better? Whatever is going to make a cheapskate/poor person go 'oh nevermind' because they're just fishing to get in and cause trouble.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have just as much experience as you to spot a real thug, and I unlike you, I still spend time around real and fake thugs in social situations.

I don't know how to identify a bad person from how they are dressed because bad people can dress all kinds of ways, the fact that you think you can spot a bad person by how they are dressed really gives me pause.

Yes, a cover charge is going to change your clientele but $20 is not turning away anybody away over the last 10 years in Houston unless it's a juke joint.

I really really can't believe that you think turning away a cheapskate/poor person is the solution so I guess we think all cheapskates and poors are thugs or can't just want to party in peace?

I am a cheapskate and have been poor several times in my life and never thugged it up in a club I understand screening for trouble makers and I understand dress code has a lot to do with that but the ones that start the most **** are the entitled ones who don't have any game except their clothes and cars and get upset when nobody is paying them attention and start ****.

The point I am getting is not what I think you think it is.