1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Fatphobia"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 27, 2022.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

being fat is great, eat your weight in lard, be immobile and then purchase a scooter to wheel yourself to more cheesepuffs. Of course we should embrace fat culture.

Its not like it kills us or accounts for the majority of healthcare expenditure that we as the tax payers pay forward once again

I wonder why people with normalish weights don't get diabetes, heart disease, gangrenous limbs, back problems?

#1 cause for liver failure? Not alcoholism. Fatty liver disease (NASH)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33470881/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nook, Xerobull and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Arlines vs seats vs gravity vs woke
    @Os Trigonum
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  4. body slam

body slam Member

I've done worse

Xerobull likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This jingle always pops into my head when I see pretty fat girls.

Nook likes this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

People like @Andre0087 love being fat because they have no work ethic and live of their parents who are just as worthless as him(not that he actually knows his real father)

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Being fat isn’t good for health and there are too many fat people in this society. I don’t think those things can be argued. I don’t think though that shaming people is the way to go or just saying we shouldn’t show fat people in media.

Our culture has for a long time had an unhealthy relationship with food and body image and is one reason why we see the extremes reflected both ways. It’s also why we have problems with both obesity and anorexia.

My own personal view has been to lead by example rather than shaming. As an athlete and a coach I’ve had to maintain my weight to be able to do martial arts. When I was younger I did cut weight, sometimes drastically, to make competition weight. Even though I don’t compete anymore I still feel I need to set a good example.

That goes especially for people who don’t do martial arts. While I can’t order them like I could my students but I can still show them the benefits of eating right and getting exercise.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Coincidentally, I watched "Supersize Me" last night....

Nook and tinman like this.
  9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Appearance improvement aside, it simply feels good to be healthy compared to not. I think of the joint pain people must have carrying around the extra weight that they do and how much their feet and knees must hurt. How hard their heart and their lungs must be working while simply sitting idle. It can't be comfortable lugging around a heavy body your whole life. I think the messaging should really be less about appearance and more about how good it feels to exercise often and that eating healthy can still be very tasty and actually make you feel better afterwards opposed to having the itis.

#49 London'sBurning, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Nook and RedRedemption like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Meh one of them looks Assyrian, I would pork her snout.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There’s an easy solution for undesirables at bars/clubs: charge them an insane cover. If they pay, they’re going to spend money. If not, they can hit the road.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Making you feel undesirable, unsatisfied and incomplete is the whole purpose of marketing and advertising
    Satisfied people don't buy as much stuff

Rocket River

Pole and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . . They is an economic incentive to make people fat.
    From a medical Standpoint . . .to a simply selling other isht Standpoint
    The Fricking FOOD PYRAMID was nothing more than a marketing ploy to make people eat more grain.
    And Since its inception Americans are probably the most GRAIN Addicted folx on the planet
    Add in how the Corn Lobby evidently managed to push High Frutose Corn Syrup into everything
    Their Subsidies make it possible for it to be the Cheapest Option . . . which trickles into making it the best option for cheap foods
    etc . ..

All of these lead to the Fat Epidemic
    Food that is no good for your cost less than food that is
    Hell WATER COSTS MORE THAN SODAS!!!!

Yes. . .they is self discipline and self control issues that need to be addressed
    but
    Take the Profit Motive out of alot of things and the world would self correct.

Rocket River

tinman likes this.
  14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I very much agree with that. I think there's a reason so much of a company's budget is invested into marketing and that's because it works. It is a persuasive way of getting someone to spend money on a product they otherwise likely wouldn't. It's not a coincidence that the color red is on almost every fast food chain's logo. There is something about that color that grabs our attention and at least entertains the idea in our head to perhaps go through the drive-thru when we otherwise wouldn't because we might have never noticed it driving past it. Likewise with artificially adding sugar to products to sweeten them because it makes it taste better but doesn't necessarily help a customer's health if they're a vast consumer of sugary products on a daily basis.

I really liked the presentation from the speaker because he shared it more through the lens of a geneticist. How there's dozens of genes that are in some way affiliated with how our body handles fat. Explains why some women when they put on weight can get more apple shaped bellies like a man is typically and why some men can get more pear shaped when they get heavy which is perhaps considered more a feminine shape. Like it's not so bad if the fat goes to places men and women love to see on a part of the body like say t*** or ass, but it's less attractive typically if that same weight through your DNA makes you an A cup with a flat ass but has an apple gut. Or if you're a man whose fat deposits do go almost exclusively to your butt and chest. That's genetics at play from which no one really gets to choose their own body's assemblage.

Otherwise I'd assume people that go bald early in life would Gattaca that away from themselves or people prone to weight gain in areas considered unflattering would instead opt for weight gain in more desirable places, or people born with a disability would opt to not have said disability. I think it's really easy to pick on overweight people but like the presenter said, it's not exactly easy when around every corner of a grocery store checkout is some sugary and fatty combination of a sweet treat even during checkout lines. And how it may be easy for someone who doesn't feel perpetually hungry all the time to walk past and have more self control but doesn't necessarily consider the genetics of someone who for whatever reasons experiences constant slight hunger pains, even when full. The human body can be wonky that way.

If it was easy to just tell someone to have self control, we'd have no drug addicts or alcoholics or Jontro either right. I think if there was genuine concern for the well being of obese people, you'd be willing to change the environment from which obese people live in that makes it so easy and accessible for them to be obese. For whatever reasons, they are dealing with a struggle that perhaps you do not. If the concern is genuine then consider what environmental factors make it so easy and accessible for a sizable portion of this country to become obese and then consider both short and long term solutions on how to alter the daily environments people interact in that contributes to the problem.

You may not be able to change a person, but you can alter their environment that makes change easier. The challenge is somehow altering an environment in such a way that doesn't also restrict someone from choosing to be obese. If we're gonna allow chain pack smokers to light up we gotta allow the most extreme of food consumers to consume even if it's not necessarily how we'd prefer to live. Then again if there were no all you can eat buffets and Instacart and delivery services and fast food, and no candy aisle in grocery stores and no bakeries in almost every grocery chain and less marketing to encourage so much consumption, even if someone wanted to be obese, they'd have to put in more work to maintain that lifestyle. If we weren't so typically dependent on car for travel and instead lived where walking and cycling was more accessible, again it would be harder for an obese person to maintain that lifestyle. And again not encouraging taking away anything like delivery services or bakeries or anything like that at all.

Just trying to illustrate how easy access to food is in the U.S. and how we really do encourage as much consumption as will be profitable without considering the effects of how that is negatively impacting our own citizens health and well being, which may be more costly short and long term than the profits gathered by companies that sell food and food related products and services that exclusively benefit from things being the way that they are right now.

#54 London'sBurning, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Rocket River likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Spot on
    ANYTHING that interferes with the PROFIT MOTIVE is a non starter in the U.S.

Michelle Obama tried to talk about changes in diet . .. . SHE WAS TOLD TO BACK THE F*** UP
    Then she spent the rest of her time there talking about Physical Activity
    DO NOT F*CK WITH BIG FOOD!!!!
    Oprah found that out with BIG BEEF

I can tell when I am taking my Barley Green mix and when I am not
    It does an AMAZING job of helping me not have sugar cravings.
    I know it is not all psychosomatic . . . it is a REAL Feeling

Rocket River

London'sBurning likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

They need to come up with different tax brackets based on weight, not just income tax but sales tax as well.

The worse off your bmi is, the more you pay in income tax….. or that extra sales tax for that fat juicy burger.

tinman likes this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

95% of Tik Tok aspiring influencers design their content around is what and how to go viral. This is a classic example of that. I doubt she really believes it but she does design the post to lack the depth of discussion and come out of the gate with zero nuance to just get a reaction… and let me spoil it for you… she’s not trying to actually get a reaction from larger women. She’s trying to get insecure men to get a reaction and hate repost in order to go viral.

I guess she succeeded in getting what she wanted.

On the subject, I don’t think guys are that attracted to skinny girls or larger girls. They are attracted to healthy looking women.. whatever shape that comes in doesn’t matter. Same goes to women and their attraction to men as well I’m sure. Of course it’s not all about the ability to make them laugh or feel secure financially etc. There needs to be a physical attraction as well. I’m sure being well put together and healthy within whatever natural shape you have is the best way to start being attractive to a woman. Show you care about yourself but don’t seem overly vein. You’ll be fine whether you are a man or a woman.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Ella Halikas is really good looking, I am surprised that she was not allowed into the club - she is also fairly well known.

I suppose my question would be - would it be okay to not let them in if they felt the women or men were too old? Too ugly?

I don't know where you draw that line of exclusivity.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does every moron that says something stupid on the internets deserve its own thread?

Need a ruling @Os Trigonum

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You wouldn't smash this? I would.... everyone has different tastes I suppose, but I personally would fracture her pelvis.