1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by panamamyers, Sep 28, 2009.

1. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Just a little tip, little word for the wise....it never pays to put any thought into who you start from week to week. Just put your main guys in and leave them in til the bye week.
    That's all.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

thanks for this.

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Yeah i'm going to start Marion Barber and LT. :eek:

4. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I disagree....
    Especially if you're playing on ESPN.
    It helps big time to read the projections, and each player's projected pts. Then check out who they're playing against and think for yourself.
    The question that remains is do you trust yourself more than you trust espn?

In my case the answer is yes and no.
    A) I had to pick b/w playing Matt Ryan or Tom Brady. Ryan had a higher projected # pts. But Tom Brady was at home and both were playing in the rain. I went with tom brady and it was the right choice.

B) I needed better D/ST than the Seahawks this week. I picked up the Broncos based on ESPN's projection comments. Worked for me.

The league I play in is 14 teams deep, with 9 starting slots, so FA's clearly doesn't have very many good players... just have to interpret the numbers/comments right.

5. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I have LT too... maybe start him next week? :confused:

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Another important stat is how many fantasy points particular teams give up to certain positions. I never really bother with it but you guys should.

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Start him next week!!!

8. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Just traded joseph addai and steve smith (nyg) for brandon jacobs and dwayne bowe. ;)

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So when your opponent gets zero points total from his QB and two RBs (Brees, Bush, and Chris Johnson) you would think you have a good chance at winning, right?

Well, that would also assume that you get more than zero points COMBINED from Clinton Portis, DeAngelo Williams, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and Lee Evans.

:rolleyes:

What a bust my team has been.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol ....

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Wait Baseball what type of scoring system you are in where all of those players got 0 combined pts?

12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'm not a huge fan of it, but basically you only get points on touchdowns and milestones.

For example a 0-9 yd TD is 2 pts, 10-19 is 4 pts, etc. You also get 5 points if your QB goes over 300 yds. or your RB/WR goes over 100... and more points for every 100 after that.

So Fitz and Williams both had 70-something yard games, but neither crossed the goal line. Oh well.

13. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Old School!

I first played Fanatasy Football in '82 or '83 after reading about it in SI. The scoring was simple; your guys score, you get points. Who cares if they rush for 200 yards or pass for 400? There wasn't even a scale for milestones.

14. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I just suck at fantasy football.
    Every time I take out a starter because he's playing a tough defense, or because McNabb is out with injury for instance...
    He goes nuts catching all kindsa passes from Kevin freakin Kolb.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's funny, the guys in my league (here at work) always do so much pre-draft research and transactions (they actually trade draft picks) and then have a big draft party that goes deep into the night.

I, on the other hand, don't even adjust my pre-draft player list and I let the computer pick my entire team. Ours is a keeper league and I didn't get to keep any of my players from last year because I forgot to turn in my list.

We've had the same 8 guys in the league for about 5 years now and I already have 2 championships and I'm 3-0 this season. It's about the free agents you pick up mid-season, not the draft picks.

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I've had a large amount of success this year playing a different defense every week so far. Weeks 1 and 2, play the defense that is playing St. Louis. Week 3, play the D that is playing Oakland. I'm going to do this just about every week that I can. It's worked like a charm so far.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm beginning to think there is something to be said for just picking on instinct and not overthinking things too much.

I always seem to be at the top of yahoo leagues where we get 1:30 for each pick, yet in the highly competitive leagues I play with the usual Clutchfans dudes, I usually overthink all my picks since I have 8 hours to decide, and I always end up middle of the pack.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

unless you have a running back that is playing the texans that week.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know you're kidding, but one year I literally picked up whatever defense was playing the Texans the next week (assuming it was available), then dropped it afterwards and I ended up winning the championship.

I picked up Sims-Walker last week and although he didn't have a great day, he got me 11 points.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

one time I won my fantasy championship and the final score was 34 to 22.

I had the worst day imaginable, then watched my opponent's QB get -10 points and nobody else did anything.