1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

fantasy football advice

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by buiyahkah, Dec 7, 2008.

1. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

I'm advancing to the 2nd round of playoffs in one of my leagues and I have both Ben Roethlisbeger and Matt Schaub. Both of them are going up against tough defenses, Baltimore and Tennesse respectively. Who should I start next Sunday?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pickup Cullperpper and cross your fingers?

3. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

haha HEEEEEELL NO

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'd go with Schaub.
    Titan defense is good, but Suggs and Reed were monsters Sunday night.

5. famicom

famicom Member

I have Eli Manning at Dallas or Schaub, which I'm also trying to decide but probably will go with Eli since Dallas has a weak secondary.

Also to save a thread, can someone please help me out today on which two to start out of these three?

R. Bush at Chicago (Tonight's game)
    S. Jackson vs. Seattle (home)
    M. Turner vs. Tampa Bay (home)

I'm leaning towards Bush and Turner, Jackson just is inconsistent but he looks due for a breakout against Seattle rush D.. any insights would be greatly appreciated!

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I would stick with Bush and Turner even going against tougher Ds.

I don't think Jackson is worth the risk of taking out a consistent guy like those 2, even if he does look poised to have a good day.

Also, Eli seems to play good football against the Cowboys, Brandon Jacobs' status could be a factor.

7. famicom

famicom Member

Thanks for the advice, also good call on the Titans D before the draft! :D Here's to a high scoring game tonight, prime time baby!

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'd go with Jackson and Turner.. Jackson was healthy last week and finally came out of it with no problems. I think he asked for a higher workload next week.

Plus the chicago run D is tough.. and their pass D isn't. I'd expect Brees to air it out. Of course Bush gets involved there also.. but I'd go with Jackson.

I'd go with Eli over Schaub (but I don't know the status of Newman..he was hurt in their last game, but with Newman/Henry/Pacman in there, the Dallas secondary is back to being solid imo...so don't expect a beastly game out of Eli if they're all in)

but Schaub over Roethlisberger..

9. kaleidosky

yeah i was at work and honestly also meant to mention pierre thomas.. after last wk they said he'd get more work, which just meant less for reggie.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Roethlisberger or Schaub is tough this week. But listen to my crap situation. Playoffs are BS imo. I have rarely seen the points leader actually "win" his league, because of that stupid playoff rule. It doesn't happen in baseball!

So this year I dominated my league. 1st place at 11-3 with three others in the playoffs at 9-5. I'm ahead in points by like 100 over everyone. But this week almost every one of my players is in an unfavorable matchup while my opponents' are in gimme games. Surprise surprise I've got a good chunk of Houston's offense (I figured they would be good but the defense would suck, which generally proved correct).

QB: Romo (vs. NYG)
    RB: I have to choose two of Slaton (TEN), Chris Johnson (@HOU), Steven Jackson (SEA), J. Stewart (DEN)
    WR: Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson (@IND), Kevin Walter are basically locks
    TE: Gates (@KC)
    K: K. Brown
    DEF: PHI (CLE)

On the other hand my opponent has McNabb and Westbrook against the crappy Browns, Ryan Grant and Greg Jennings against a Jacksonville team that is waiting for Fall 2009 to come around, Steve Smith against a third-string Denver secondary, and the TE, kicker, and defense of Tennessee. Basically, he'd have to trip over himself to miss out on having a huge week.

Right now I'm leaning towards Steven Jackson and Chris Johnson. Slaton's been my horse the whole year and it hurts to bench him, but you have to think Tennessee won't be nice with the only RB to put up 100+yds on them so far this year (as Slaton did the last time they met). I'm not too worried about it though, because I feel like no matter what I do I'm losing this week.

11. famicom

famicom Member

Yea I saw your post after the game started...oh well Colston got me some good points so that averages to mediocre for both.

12. famicom

famicom Member

:p
    Yea Fantasy Football to me is like golf, you basically have to play within yourself because you can't control how others will.

As for your running backs, those are all toss-ups to me. They all have their weaknesses and strengths, even J. Stewart can have a 2TD game against the Broncos..

13. kaleidosky

space, i think you have the right picks on Jackson and C Johnson.. benching Slaton is tough but necessary given your other backs.. Stewart can easily go off, but Deangelo can easily take all the TDs as he's done before.. so i'd go with the 2 you have down cause it's not about the homerun ball when you have a good team. Just consistent production across the board..

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Question: TO or Vincent Jackson (SD)?

Owens, this season only passed 100 yards once, and has 7 games with less than 40 yards receiving. Plus theyre playing against the Giants. He does get doubled a lot, but if the passing game is to make any moves, it will be from TO's ability to get deep fast. Last match vs. Giants: 5-36yds-1TD-1fumble WITHOUT Romo

Jackson, has cracked 100 twice, and has 3 more total yards than TO. He has less TD's and less receptions than TO but hes the leading receiver for SD I think. And it looks good facing the one of the worst pass D's in the league.
    Last match vs. KC: 5-83yds-0TD, but Rivers threw for 300+ that night.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll give some in return. Just based on the numbers and matchup I'd pick Vincent Jackson against KC.

One more thing you might want to consider though, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't TO have some sort of fit the past two years, and after each one didn't Romo look to get him the ball more? TO is a riskier pick, but has a much higher ceiling. If you consider yourself an underdog going into this matchup, go for broke, pick TO. If you're ahead, stick with Jackson.

16. kaleidosky

wow that's a tough call. I don't think I'd have the balls to bench TO. The potential is so high for the offense when Romo plays. Especially with Barber not at 100% (if he even plays). Choice is a badass (I wanted him on the Texans before the draft), but they'll still look to the air..

Also, KC is pretty bad against the run. It's possible they run it down their throats.. also I think Chambers might not have played in that game, and Rivers has hit Chambers some the last couple of weeks.

So just saying it's not as clear-cut as you think. But at the same time, I could easily see Jackson having the better game.. soooo total toss-up, and I'd go Owens purely on rep

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Yeah, this choice is killing me. This is the final playoff round for me, and Im playing for 3rd place. If I played Jackson last week, I would have won by 14 points instead of losing by 4.