1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Baseball Official Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Feb 25, 2004.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Now that the league site is up and running and everyone is signed up, I decided to start a new, official thread that we can use for the baseball league this year.

First things first, here is the complete list of participants:

East

SmeggySmeg
    RocketsPimp
    DVauthrin
    Summer Song Giver
    Fadeaway
    Castor27

West

Behad
    BobFinn*
    PhiSlammaJamma
    chrisjent
    SamCassell
    DarkHorse

Thanks to everyone for paying the $5 entry fee so quickly. I really appreciate it!

If you haven't already done so, claim your team and enter your info (team name, logos, etc..)

http://www.fantasybaseballone.com/baseball/clutchcity/index.php

Alright, first issue:

Barry Bonds will definitely be in the Fanstar system this year, so there is no need to worry about that. Here is a direct quote from the Fanstar admin:

"We don't have an agreement with the players association, nor do we need one. Player names and stats are public domain so it will not effect our setup. Yahoo and Sandbox do have a players association agreement, so it does effect them."

Second issue:

A few of you have expressed interest in a playoff format this year. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on moving to such a system. Also, if we do decide on playoffs, what sounds best:

6 playoff spots -- each division winner gets a first round bye. The remaining four teams are seeded according to record.

6 playoff spots -- teams are seeded according to record. The two teams with the best records get first round byes. Division winners are irrelevant.

4 playoff spots -- no byes and teams are seeded according to record.

Also, I'll be holding the draft lotto in the ClutchFans chat room tomorrow (Thursday) evening at approximately 10:30 pm Eastern Standard Time. It's usually fun to see how things unfold and who gets the coveted #1 pick, so drop by and check it out.

2. Summer Song Giver

6 playoff spots -- each division winner gets a first round bye. The remaining four teams are seeded according to record.

6 playoff spots -- teams are seeded according to record. The two teams with the best records get first round byes. Division winners are irrelevant.

I'm fine with either of these formats so put me down for whichever recieves more votes.

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

As a new guy, I'm just glad to get into the league. My preference would be either of the 6 team options, but if everyone else votes differently you won't hear any complaints from me. I assume that even though there will be playoffs for places 1-6 going on the rest of the teams not involved will be playing each other for the 7-12 spots.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

That sounds good to me.

6. fadeaway

Yup, they'll be battling it out to determine final standings.

7. Nomar

Nomar Member

fade - What's the verdict with my paypal stuff?

8. fadeaway

Check your email.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I like the idea of division winners getting first-round byes. Kinda makes the divisions relevant and promotes divisional rivalry.

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I prefer the 4 team playoff. With the 6 team format you may have a below .500 team make the playoffs. Plus I don't care for a bye week.

Will our world series take place during the last week of the real baseball season?

Also, a nice new feature on the website is "Position Eligibility." Shows how many games each player played at each position during last season.

What will be the minimum games to make a player eligible for more than 1 position? 10?

Ex. Mike Bordick (Tor) is listed at SS (69 games) but also played 13 games at 2nd base and 22 at 3rd base. Would he be eligible at all 3 positions?

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I vote for the 4 team format as well.

fade, I'll be working tomorrow night, so chat is out for me. Be sure and post the lottery results in this thread as they happen. I liked the slow and painful death my team got in the basketball lottery (as opposed to the slow and painful death my team got during the regular season.)

12. fadeaway

When else would it be?

Eligibility has always been 15 games. So, Bordick would be eligible for SS and 3B, but not 2B.

Basically, whatever is bolded on that list is what players are eligible at going into this year.

Players with fewer than 15 games played at any spot (ie: career DHs) are classified in accordance with the last position they played more than 15 games at. Examples include Edgar Martinez (1B) and Ellis Burks (OF).

#12 fadeaway, Feb 25, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  13. BobFinn*

Would rather take a couple of weeks off our schedule and have the series the 3rd (or 2nd) to the last week. The last week a lot of the stud pitchers may be rested for playoffs.

14. fadeaway

I don't know. I think it's a needless worry. It didn't seem to matter much last year.

However, if the majority decides they want to do that, I'll go with it.

If we play a shortened season, I'll have to adjust SP and RP max limits to compensate.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

I agree with Finn. The Last week is so questionable in any league.

16. BobFinn*

Or any other year in our league.

I got burned in another league I was in last year and it cost me the championship. Just something to think about.

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Why not just make our playoff include the last two weeks?.

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

like Pimps idea last 2 weeks for world series

i like the top 6 idea.... division winners get bye, rest of playoff team based on record independent of division

3 v 6
    4 v 5

then winners play division winners in semis, with winners progressing to world series

losers of semis could play off 3rd and losers of quarters playoff for 5th... all over 2 weeks like the world series

the baseball season is so damn long, it's not like we can't use 3-4 weeks for the playoffs

for the team ranked from 7-12, why not duplicate the same as above with a world series for highly esteemed 7th place

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Sounds good to me.

20. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Yeah, I like the idea of a loser's bracket. At least you have SOMETHING to fight for in case you get decimated with injuries...