1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Baseball Keeper League 2011 -- Check In

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Feb 13, 2011.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Hey Gang,

It's almost that time to start thinking about our fantasy baseball league again. First of all, I just want to confirm that nobody is wussing out and everyone is coming back to play again this year. I certainly hope so because we can't contract the league any further! :)

chrisjent
    SamCassell
    Rook
    LonghornFan
    DarkHorse
    SmeggySmeg
    PhiSlammaJamma
    fadeaway

Please confirm that you'll be playing with us again. Also, start thinking about your keepers for this year. Last season everyone seemed keen on adding an additional keeper slot to allow one favorite player to be kept indefinitely, so we're going to implement that this year, bringing the total number to 7 keepers.

I'll refresh everyone's minds about the complete keeper regulations soon, but I'd like to get everyone confirmed as soon as possible.

Looking forward to another great year.

http://www.fantasybaseballsite.com/baseball/clutchcity/

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Should you guys find an open spot, I'd like to get in on it.

3. fadeaway

I'll keep you in mind. Just to let you know, we run this on fanstar and everyone chips in to help with league fees (around $7.50 each). Not sure if that would affect your interest.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It would not -- I'd just like to review the rules. Thank for keeping me in mind.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You know I'm back in.

6. fadeaway

So... just myself and LonghornFan confirmed so far.

That won't do. C'mon, folks.

7. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I will be back to claim my 6th straight Championship!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we could convince Longhorn and Fade to team up, maybe together they can bring me some better competition.............. :p :p :p

8. LonghornFan

Hey, I always make the playoffs!

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

So making the playoffs (which half the teams do) is the standard, now?

I'm back and ready for revenge.

:p

10. LonghornFan

I've also won. So there.

11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Quick question involving baseball, does anybody know a website that shows the ranking of each player on different websites???

For example, David Wright, Ranked #11 on ESPN, #12 on Yahoo, ect.

12. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bad start to the season or since it happened now it is a good omen............

It appears one of the guys who would have been my keeper (good thing we have not set them yet) looks to be lost for the season already.................

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

So... I would really rather not do the league again, not because I don't love you guys, but because I just haven't had any time lately to devote to fantasy at all, or for that matter sports, really.

I've mostly restricted my ClutchFans time to the GARM over the last couple months, and mostly just to check in to see if there's any trade buzz going around.

Having said that, if you're really desperate for another guy, I guess I'd be willing to do it, but right now I'm winless in my 16 team basketball league after a horrendous draft and, to a lesser extent, lineup negligence. I'm not sure I can promise anything better in the baseball league.

I've just been pretty busy running a couple projects at work, and a lot of extracurricular things in the community as well.

That's kind of where I am right now. I guess I'm saying no I'm not going to participate. If there's some kind of overwhelming need for the league to continue, I would considering giving it a go, but it would probably be in the best interests of the league if I didn't.

14. LonghornFan

Wainright? I'm in the same boat kind of with Morneau. Not sure I want a keeper who gets headaches from the sun and is still having issues from LAST years concussion. Sucks.

15. fadeaway

Hey folks,

I have now heard from everyone, and it looks like we all will be coming back except for DarkHorse. Luckily, LongTimeFan has expressed interest in joining, so he can take over DH's team. Welcome aboard!

chrisjent
    SamCassell
    Rook
    LonghornFan
    LongTimeFan
    SmeggySmeg
    PhiSlammaJamma
    fadeaway

16. fadeaway

General Rules

Scoring Periods
    Our league is on a split week schedule. This means that there are two game periods each week: Monday-Thursday, and Friday-Sunday. There are 45 game periods total per season.

Regular Season Starting Lineups
    C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, UI, 5 OF, up to 7 pitchers

Important Note About Pitching
    You can start up to 7 pitchers for each game period. However, you have a maximum total number of SP and RP games that you can use for the season. Once you exceed these upper limits, you can no longer start pitchers. In this league, managing your pitching games is a key aspect of success!

Maximum SP limit: 180
    Maximum RP limit: 140

This works out to about 4 SP games per period and just over 3 RP games per period. As long as you do not dramatically exceed this pace, you'll be fine. Generally speaking, you should be starting 3-5 SP and 2-3 RP per period on average. I'll provide regular updates throughout the season noting how many SP and RP games you have used up to that point.

Scoring System
    Our scoring system is fantasy points based head-to-head. This is similar to traditional fantasy football scoring. Players accumulate a set number of points for hits, doubles, home runs, etc..

SCORING RULES:

Hitting
    Hits: 1 point
    Runs: 1 point
    Doubles: 1 point
    Triples: 2 points
    Home Runs: 3 points
    RBI�s: 1 point
    Stolen Bases: 2 points
    Caught Stealing: -1point
    Walks: 1 point
    Strikeouts: -1 point
    Errors: -1 point
    Grand Slams: 3 points
    HBP: 1 point

Pitching
    Innings Pitched: 3 points
    Hit Allowed: -1 point
    Walks Allowed: -1 point
    Strikeouts: 1 point
    Earned Runs: -1 point
    Wins: 10 points
    Losses: -5 points
    Saves: 10 points
    Blown Saves: -5 points
    Complete Games: 5 points
    Shutouts: 10 points
    No-Hitter: 20 points
    Perfect Game: 30 points

Keepers (7 total)

1 keeper can be kept indefinitely
    2 keepers can be kept up to a maximum of 4 times
    2 keepers can be kept up to a maximum of 3 times
    2 keepers can be kept up to a maximum of 2 times

17. fadeaway

Playoffs
    4 teams make the playoffs. Two division winners plus two wild cards (based on record). Total fantasy points accumulated is used to break ties.

Round one of the playoffs will be two game periods added together (Monday-Thursday plus Friday-Sunday). Highest total score advances.

Round two of the playoffs (championship) will be four game periods added together. Highest total score wins.

Playoff Starting Lineups
    Hitting -- Identical to regular season starting lineup
    Pitching -- Start up to 7 pitchers as usual, but the following limits apply:
    Round 1: 9 SP maximum, no maximum for RP
    Round 2: 18 SP maximum, no maximum for RP

18. fadeaway

Draft
    Slow live draft starting on March 18th. The timer will initially be set at 8 hours per pick, but will be reduced down to 4 hours after the first five rounds (or at my discretion depending on how fast we are progressing).

Last year it took us 12 days to complete the draft, so this should give us enough time. I am starting it a bit later than usual in order to accommodate a couple of owners who will be very busy in early/mid-March. I don't think we'll have any problems completing it in this time frame.

Draft Order
    Draft order selection is based on total fantasy points scored last year. The team with the lowest total score chooses his draft position first, followed by the second-lowest, etc. The previous years champion always gets the final leftover spot.

We allow teams to choose their draft spot (instead of simply basing it off the reverse of last year's standings) because, depending on the nature of the draft player pool, someone may consider a lower spot to be more valuable than a higher position, and we want to give the weaker teams every possible opportunity to improve.

The Draft Selection order for this year is as follows:

1. LongTimeFan-7963
    2. chrisjent-7973
    3. PhiSlammaJamma-7995
    4. SmeggySmeg-8045
    5. Rocketball-8818
    6. SamCassell-9239
    7. LonghornFan-9260
    8 fadeaway-9281 (previous year's champion)

The number after each team is the total regular season fantasy points scored after penalties for unused SP and RP games have been applied (unused SP=20, unused RP=10).

#18 fadeaway, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  19. fadeaway

League Cost
    Everyone chips in $7.50. Please send via PayPal to joshgillard@hotmail.com as soon as you can. This is simply to cover the cost of league fees. There is no payout -- it's about bragging rights only. But, this is the longest established fantasy baseball league on the BBS, so those bragging rights are substantial!

League Website
    http://www.fantasybaseballsite.com/baseball/clutchcity/

20. fadeaway

Detailed Keeper Explanation
    Here is the current keeper situation for each team in the league. The number after each player is the number of times that player has already been kept. Anyone else currently on your team (i.e. players that you drafted, picked up off waivers, or traded for last season) can be considered to have a number of zero at this point:

chrisjent: Alex Rodriguez-2, Victor Martinez-2, Miguel Cabrera-2, Josh Johnson-2, Javier Vazquez-2, John Lackey-2
    LonghornFan: Albert Pujols-2, Justin Morneau-2, Brandon Phillips-2, Jayson Werth-2, Roy Halladay-2, Chris Carpenter-2
    DarkHorse: Prince Fielder-2, Ian Kinsler-2, Jose Reyes-2, CC Sabathia-2, Curtis Granderson-2, Jason Bay-2
    Smegster: Mariano Rivera-2, Dustin Pedroia-2, Matt Holliday-2, Josh Beckett-2, Cole Hamels-2, Cliff Lee-2
    SamCassell: Kevin Youkilis-2, Carl Crawford-1, Jacoby Ellsbury-2, Jon Lester-2, Jimmy Rollins-2, Joe Mauer-2
    PhiSlammaJamma: Tim Lincecum-2, Johan Santana-2, Tommy Hanson-2, Jonathan Broxton-2, Clayton Kershaw-2, Stephen Strasburg-2
    fadeaway: Ryan Howard-2, Chase Utley-2, David Wright-2, Ryan Braun-2, Troy Tulowitzki-2, Felix Hernandez-2
    Rocketball: Hanley Ramirez-2, Mark Teixiera-2, Matt Kemp-2, Eva Longoria-2, Justin Upton-2, Zack Grienke-2

You may notice that on Sam’s team, Carl Crawford has a number of 1. This is because Sam traded for Crawford in the off season before last year’s draft. Therefore, he has only been kept by Sam one time. That is the benefit of trading players (it resets the keeper number).

Keepers must be declared before the draft starts on March 18th. On this day, your players will be officially designated as kept for the 2011 season and the numbers listed after each player will roll over.

Please fill in your keeper roster as follows. To be placed into a keeper slot, your player must have a current number lower than the listed max. Once the numbers roll over on keeper declaration day, your roster must adhere to the following restrictions:

Keeper Slot A (indefinite):
    Keeper Slot B (4 max):
    Keeper Slot C (4 max):
    Keeper Slot D (3 max):
    Keeper Slot E (3 max):
    Keeper Slot F (2 max):
    Keeper Slot G (2 max):

As an example, here are the players I plan to keep for 2011:

Keeper Slot A (indefinite): Felix Hernandez-2
    Keeper Slot B (4 max): Ryan Braun-2
    Keeper Slot C (4 max): Troy Tulowitzki-2
    Keeper Slot D (3 max): David Wright-2
    Keeper Slot E (3 max): Chase Utley-2
    Keeper Slot F (2 max): Josh Hamilton-0
    Keeper Slot G (2 max): Joey Votto-0

I would liked to have kept Ryan Howard-2 but as you can see, I have no available slots to fit him in.

I hope this is explained sufficiently. If there is anything that needs clarification, please let me know.