1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Fantasy Baseball Draft Lotto

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

OK, DV, it's done. Check your team page.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I'm not sure if we need to go that far, because what if team X has 5 good sp and 2 dominant closers, are you in a sense punishing them for having a different setup than the requested.

I personally say just eliminate game limits: my best against your best every matchup(this is why I support 1 game a week, unless it is like basketball where you average out everyone's stats and thus can have multiple games).

Just my opinion.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Game limits for pitchers only. Relief pitchers had a 140 game limit (I think) last year, and I forget what the starters limit was. Hopefully Fade remembers. It adds so much strategy. The fun of playing fantasy sports is to be able to MANAGE your team.

I vote for starting just one catcher. That way there would be no need for game limits on position players.

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

It would be really problematic for relievers because some closers get more opportunities than others. So, teams with guys like Smoltz & Gagne would just play them all the time without any game limit penalties and overwhelm their opponents by sheer numbers, without any regard to strategy.

I agree with Bob that a lot of the fun is in managing your team. I'd rather keep all of the game limits. I like the idea of everyone having the exact same number of starts at each position. Otherwise, I'm just going to clean out the waiver wire every day and start the outfielders/infielders that play the most times that particular week (studs excluded), and that's not really very fair.

5. fadeaway

It was 140 for relievers and 162 for starters. You could start any combination of up to 7 pitchers (4 SP + 3 RP, 5 SP + 2 RP, 2 SP + 0 RP... whatever).

If a pitcher started a game, he got credited with a start. If a pitcher entered a game at any other time, he got credited with a relief appearance.

6. Behad

From Roto-World:

1) Prepare a draft card. No matter how smart you think you are, you need a list of players that you hope to target in your draft. I find it very helpful to separate my players into four different categories:
    ELITE
    ALL-STAR
    FANTASY STARTER
    BORDERLINE
    Ideally, you'll get an elite player in each of the first three rounds. You'd also like as many of your players as possible to fall into the Fantasy Starter or higher categories. I like to color-code my draft card if possible. As players are taken, cross them off of your list. That way, if you have eight players listed as "Elite" at the SP position and only a couple are gone, you may want to wait a round and go after an elite player at a different position.

2) Watch what other teams have taken. It's easy to lose yourself in your own little world, but if at all possible, keep track of what everyone else is taking. The best way to do this is to have a second spreadsheet of all of the teams' lineups, filling them in as you go. If by round 10 everyone has a starting 1B, you might want to wait on that sleeper one-bagger that you've had your eye on. If three teams (including you) are still in need of a second baseman and you're up in the 10th round, the chances are quite good that if you don't take that last solid 2B, one of those other teams will.

3) Drink beer. Just don't drink too much, or you'll end up taking Sixto Lezcano in the 17th round.

4) Have a depth chart handy. Particularly in single universe leagues, this can be very helpful. If your card is depleted at the end of the draft and you need a backup SS, find out who is starting but may have been overlooked.

5) Read up on this year's crop of rookies. Don't fall in love with these guys and wager your season on them by taking a rookie too early, but know who they are so that you can fill some holes and take a few risks in the second half of the draft. I've found that Baseball Prospectus is an excellent source of information on rookies. The 2003 version was just released last week.

6) Don't buy a magazine. Saying something like this might be like Oprah telling you not to eat meat, so a lawsuit might not be far behind. More often than not, this stuff is completely useless. You've got a bunch of guys who got together back in October to make a few bucks and threw together some mindless jibber jabber. It might have been released in February, but it was likely written soon after last season ended. Save your $7.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Good looking out Behad.

8. Behad

So what's the final word on the use of pitchers? Since there doesn't seem to be much discussion, I vote we let the commish have the say-so. What'll it be, fade?

Also, I got the multiple position thing worked out...but...it can't be based on last year. I can set the number of games required to play a position before you can put a player there, but those games must be played this year. For example, Biggio should be listed as an outfielder. (If he is not, I will change him to it.) Last season, Sandbox would allow him to be a 2b, and an outfielder after 15 games. This year, he starts as an outfielder and will not be allowed to be played at 2B unless he plays there for a set # of games, yet to be decided.

Biggio is an easy example, but what about Mark Mclemore? He played 3 positions last year, but his initial starting spot for this year is outfield. The best I can do is set him as an outfielder and util infielder until he plays 3B or SS enough to qualify.

Pitchers are done just like last year. No matter if the pitcher is listed as a starter or relief, he will count against your game limits (if that is how fadeaway wants to do it) depending on if he starts or reliefs in a game in real life.

Bottom line, if we have any position questions, we may have to work them out as the draft goes along.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

When you'all get this sorted out. Make a page that has all the differences between sandbox and this league listed (if possible). And maybe a hint beneath each as to how it is likely to impact scoring or the way we manage. Most of us are willing to do whatever, but we need to know what the changes are and what impact they are likely to have on scoring. I'm still a little confused on the home run thing you'all were talking about.

Also, draft date is MARCH 1st for anyone who is not sure.

10. fadeaway

Okay, this is how I think things should happen:

Pitchers - Exactly like last year. You can start any combination of up to 7 pitchers, and you get 162 SP games & 140 RP games to use up however you like. It's the fairest way, adds a good degree of strategy and allows for the most freedom with roster manipulation.

Hitters - 162 games per infield position. 648 games total for the 4 outfield spots. If you guys really want to do away with hitter game limits, then I guess we can. I'd prefer to keep them, though.

Multi-Position Eligibility - For a player to become eligible for a position, he must have played at least 15 games at that position. Since Behad indicates that we cannot rely on last year's stats to classify players at multiple positions, we will have grey areas to deal with. What I think we should do is, at the end of the draft, the owners of players who would have been eligible at multiple positions under last year's rules, get to decide which position their players start off as.

For example, BobFinn* drafts Biggio in the second round. After the draft ends, Bob looks over his lineup and determines that Biggio would fit into his team best as a second baseman. So, Behad makes Biggio into a 2B. Eventually, when Biggio plays enough games at OF he will gain eligibility at that position as well, but for now, he is simply a 2B.

Meanwhile, suppose DVauthrin drafts McLemore, but he already has Nomar, Jeter and Tejada on his team. Obviously, he will want McLemore to begin the season at the 3B position. So, Mark starts off at 3B and gains eligibility at other positions as the season goes along, depending on where he plays.

Is this doable, Behad?

11. BobFinn*

Sounds good fade. I say we keep it as close to last year as possible, and game limits must be kept.

Drafting a multi-position player and allowing the manager to name his position seems fair enough.

Phi- the way the HR's are scored is as follows:

HR-3
    Hit-1
    RBI-1 (if it is a solo HR)

So you would get 5 points for a solo HR. Of course if men are on base you would get more RBI points.

A Grand Slam would be scored like this:

GS-3
    HR-3
    Hit-1
    RBI-4

That would be 11 points for a Grand Slam.

12. BobFinn*

edit: I forgot to include Runs in each HR scenario. You would also get 1 point for a run scored. So a solo HR would be 6 points and a Grand Slam would be 12 points.

13. Behad

Yep, every bit of it. A few comments:

On the pitchers: I have to specify a number (max and min) for RP and SP, not just 7 pitchers total. I'm gonna email the programmer and see if it's doable, but if not, then we will have to police it ourselves that no more than 7 total pitchers are used. Or I can set it to 4 max SP and 3 max RP, but what if someone wants to use 5 SP's? Granted, he's gonna burn game limits faster that way. Let me check on that.

As for game limits on position players, I'll set them, but I don't think it matters either way. Nearly all players are gonna play 6-7 games a week, so I don't see how someone can exceed the limit by switching players.

The multi-position thing can be done now. The only exception is untility infielder. That will be set to zero games needed to play that spot.

One more issue: Catchers...do we want two or one? How many game limits?

14. Behad

If DV has all three of those guys on his team, then the rest of us fell asleep during the draft.

15. BobFinn*

Can't you set the SP at Min-0 and Max-7? And RP Min-0 ans Max-3 or 4?

As far as catchers, I guess 2, to keep it like last season.

16. Behad

That would allow 7 starters and 3 or 4 relief pitchers, assuming someone dropped other positional players to get 18 total starters.

What I can do is set a minumun of 1 on all other positions (4 for outfield), which would only leave a max of 7 total spots left for pitchers, which could then be arrainged in any combination of 7 you wish. That would work except for catchers. We would have to either use just 1, or force owners to use two, or set the min to 1 and hope no owner tries to slip 8 pitchers in.

17. BobFinn*

I just remember last year when I was using too many starters games, I went with 1 starter and 3 relievers.

Set the catchers at 1.

18. fadeaway

That would work. Or maybe SP Min-0 Max 6 and RP Min-0 Max 3.

Generally speaking, if you start 5 SP and 2 RP all of the time, you will roughly be on pace to finish using up your pitching games in the last week of the season, give or take a few games.

Starting more pitchers than usual is a tradeoff because if you burn all your games early, you won't have them to use later in the season.

19. Behad

You mean just one starter total or one minimum with two starters. Personally, I never understood why we needed two starters anyway. Just because there are only about 3 decent offensive catchers in the league doesn't mean we should allow owners a chance to double up on bad ones.

Can anyone remember when a catcher made a difference in a fantasy game?

20. Behad

No, like I said above, this would allow an owner to start (in your scenario) 9 pitchers, if he took out 2 positional player starters. I'm trying to make it impossible to do that. Like I said, reduce catchers to one, force a minimum of 1 starter in all positional players (4 in the OF), which only leaves 7 starting spots to use on pitchers (we'd have to reduce total # of starters to 17 to account for 1 catcher)