1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fans of a Mediocre Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spdngyns69, Feb 9, 2011.

1. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Does being a fan to a mediocre team frustrate you? I'm talking about the ups and downs where some nights you win and this team looks like it's got a shot. Then you have the following nights where this team crumbles to hell and plays dirt poor that it could lose to the worst teams in the league.

What are we hoping in a trade? Is it to see if GM can work his magic and move the team in a positive direction or moves to competely go cleanhouse and rebuild?

If the team basically sucked, as fans you just learned to get used to losing and play the lotto. With a winning team, you set the standards high and expect to see your team compete at a high level and make the playoffs. What about a mediocre team?

My post is just based out of pure confusion and frustration at myself. It's like I hope this team dont stink but at the same time it seems hopless to get any better. Should I just drop the expectations for good, which I have never done since 93, or keep it set high?

The coaching this year has got me lost and honestly, this organization seems lost in direction. They put out different plans every week it seems. Unless they have something else up thier sleeve, one could only hope.

Rockets pride folks, how are you dealing with the frustrations and uncertainty of a mediocre team?

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It has it's ups and downs.

3. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

What a stupid question. Yes I love being a fan of a **** team, my hobbies are cutting myself and watching the Notebook. What the hell is up with all these emo threads.

4 people like this.
  4. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I completely agree. I want us to pick a road. The longer we wait, the more we turn into the Astros. At least last season the busted the team up. I personally believe that we should go for it every single year. It is not like the MLB where if your farm sucks it will show. The NBA is all about who your best 7-8 best guys are.

5. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Its the worst feeling ever. We are not good enough to make the playoffs and we are not bad enough to get a good draft pick. We are in the middle of no mans land. fml.

6. lean

lean Member

It sucks but the way I see it, only a certain number of teams can be "good" playoff teams. There are always losers/mediocre teams. Sure we are in the latter group at this point, but our time will come again (as it has in the past.) I have faith.... for some reason

7. windz

windz Member

at least we are not the toronto craptors... no one wants to play for that team cus its in canada.

they r stuck with bad contracts and have to overpaid mediocre players for them to stay (jose, barg, a.johnson. and in the future demar derozan).

if their draft picks turns out to be any good (bosh, carter, tmac), they will all leave cus its the friggin toronto craptors.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You know you're not going to win 5-8 in a row and you know you won't lose 5-8 in a row either.

You don't expect your team to suck, but you can't get excited when they win 3 in a row either.

I'm all for picking a direction now. Tanking may be for losers, but I'd rather be a loser once and get a chance to be a winner the next day than be an average joe everyday.

A lot of championship teams have some form of taint or another, it's how it works.

Jordan with the push off for the buzzer beater, Lakers with the Gasol trade and the screw job on the Kings, Miami Heat with the whole collusion, Spurs with their tank job to acquire Duncan.

Is it really that bad to endure one horrible season in order to look forward to a winning one instead of looking forward to mediocrity every single season like the Pacers?

9. RX2012

RX2012 Member

this is clutchfans, you must've forgot.

10. Apps

Apps Member

Yeah, it kind of does get stressful being a fan of a team that's in the middle of the pack. I usually like rooting for teams with bad records because you know they're an underdog every single night, and at least they'll have a brighter future what with the potentially high draft picks. Obviously, being a fan of a good team is even more fun for the standard reasons.

But when a team is middle of the road... I don't know, there seems to be very little stability; beat a good team like the Celtics one night, lose to the T-Wolves another night. The Rockets aren't bad enough to ensure a solid draft pick and make me excited about the future, and they certainly aren't good enough to make the playoffs and contend. As I see it, the Rockets are in a bit of a limbo period. When I look at the Rockets' roster, I don't see the Houston Rockets, I see a group of solid/average players that have come together to ultimately be average to below average. A lack of image and consistent play is always indicative of a poor, mediocre team.

If the younger guys like 2Pat, T. Williams, Ish, and heck, even J-Hill, were getting more playing time, I'd probably be a little more interested regardless of the team's mediocrity.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Umm... The Rockets picked a road. It's called "hope like hell Yao comes back healthy and contend". It was a massive failure.

Now, unless you feel the Rockets should cut every single decent player to matchup well against the Cavs in the talent department, I suggest you actually wait more than 2 months before judging the direction of the team.

12. Burko

Burko Member

I suppose it depends on what would personally hurt you more out of the following...

Knowing you wont make the playoffs and not getting your hopes up

Getting to the conference semi's and getting beaten thinking you could win it all...

13. redao

redao Member

no feeling except hoping NBA gets shut down soon.

there is no hope, no expectation, no nothing about this team and NBA.

14. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Really? A different plan every week? I'm not seeing it ...

15. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Feels like a marriage with these Rockets. With the losses, I try to exercise this thing that I'd like to call 'subjective amnesia'.

16. Marteen

Marteen Member

Even through all the frustration, I'm sensing a bit of hope in these upcoming weeks. There's alot of trade speculation going around the NBA from what I've seen this morning on SportsCenter.

Chris Broussard is a legit reporter on rumors. There saying that the Knicks and Lakers want in on Carmelo. But the funny thing is, he keeps bringing up the Rockets and "renting" Carmelo.

I trust perhaps DM will work out a trade that will make this team into a play-off team or perhaps a contender? AB looks unhappy here, so he could possibly be moved.

I'm hoping it works out in the end if a trade happens. If not, I just think it's best they blow up the team.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

18. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Trade talks, Line up/rotations/minutes, and articles of wanting or suggesting to trade for someone different sure doesn't help.

I have a competitive nature, so even if my sports team of which i'm only a fan of is sucking, it gets me pissed. Those who aren't like this wouldn't understand but It seems that those who have replied are.

Good insights fellas.

19. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

You know you've enjoyed watching the notebook with your boyfriend, quit fronting.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...your problem is your expectations. Don't be a homer and you won't have those lofty expectations. Frankly I think on paper this is a team that shouldn't be able to compete in the NBA. Their size and talent put them at such a deficit that they have to execute & coach damn near flawlessly to win games. This is a bad team that overachieves - not a mediocre team. Memphis is a mediocre team. Even with size(gasol/Zbo), athleticism(gay/Mayo), and shooting(Mayo), they still aren't a legit contender.

Frankly, I'm not mad - the loses are frustrating because we normally failed to execute in the 4th and let teams take games from us but then again, we shouldn't have been in those games anyway because we are short on size and athleticism at nearly every position. This is a lottery team who plays over their heads....and like routing for a lottery team, I'm hoping for the homerun acquisition. Morey can do it with a trade whereas other teams pray for the lotto. It's all the same for me - hoping for something better down the road.