1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fans Need to Support the Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Chris Jent MVP

it's nobody's "fault" ... the old CBA expired. done. gone.

new CBA .. new era, new terms.

"fault" and "blame" etc are emotional arguments and not really relevant.

2. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Stupid! Stupid ! Stupid!

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Billionaire owners complaining about losing money makes me laugh. They'd cry giving $10 to charity. Jesus, if you don't like it then sell your damn team.

4. Chris Jent MVP

billionaires are generally douchebags, no argument there. but they do own the league after all...

if the players don't like it, they can go play for euroleague or something. but we know that won't happen. the nba is the premier basketball league in the world, and the owners deserve their fair share of credit for creating and maintaining said league. can't blame them for fighting for their interests.

if the players truly had the leverage that they think they do, they could threaten to jump ship to another league. but reality is, the owners own the league.

whats better for the owners is whats better for the league. up until the point that the players start going to other leagues, thus degrading the product. by agreeing to play for the nba, the players tacitly agree to the owners terms.

this has nothing to do with "workers rights" or whatever political/ideological spin some people might be trying to apply here. its a power grab, plain and simple.

5. 34to11

34to11 Member

Thank you Sir.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its their league. They own EVERYTHING. Why should the employees make more than the owner, when the employees haven't invested 300M in the franchise? :rolleyes:

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

If its just an accounting thing why New Orleans lose their franchise? They lost their franchise because of some "accounting" thing? The only example shown in the article was the conversion of 9M into a 20M loss, but like what I already told you 9M is unacceptable for a 300M investment in the first place. Even if they hadn't done any accounting mumbo jumbo 2% ROI is pathetic, and not that far from a loss.

LOL how old are you anyway? I find it hard to believe a grown ass man has so little concept of money. You can't define something into just two categories like "profit" or "loss", you have to look at how much the profit or loss is. A 1 dollar net gain is already considered "profit" does that mean your business is awesome? :rolleyes:

The profits being taken from the players means better product is on the floor why is what I care about it. If they reduce contracts to 3 max and make contracts unguaranteed then that would mean better quality on the floor. On the other hand if they make contract 10 years long, the max contract amounting to 25M you'll have teams composed of Rashard Lewis and scrubs. As a fan, you want the owners to win because that will mean more entertainment to you.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

as hard as you try, you'll have difficult strumming up sympathy for either of these groups with me. the players are hardly coal miners, glynch.

9. Raven

Raven Member

I think it's more about power than money.

10. SugarLandDream8

If owners win, ticket prices for fans will go down, stay the same or increase less than if players win.

Why should someone like Kobe make 30 million in a couple of years. He can do with 17 million and let fans pay a few dollars less for tickets

11. Dei

Dei Member

This is a very common sentiment but they do only have roughly 10 year careers, if that, to earn a lifetime's money.

Ticket prices are the one thing not determined by the CBA. Fans don't care who gets the money. This is a matter governed by supply and demand.

Dunno but there's more of a burden for you, who is moving for an action, to prove that what you're trying to change, the CBA, is what caused it than for me to know why. There are a lot of other things that could have caused it, just like to any other business, apart from overpaid employees: a substandard product, unwise borrowing, the market no longer being there after being decimated by a storm etc. Does the reason deserve a league-wide action?

It's also appreciating because it's a limited commodity. Also, there's a gulf between the big and small market teams. If you lower the operating expenses for the small market teams, you're also increasing the profit margin for the big market teams. This is why the players are moving for revenue-sharing.

This has nothing to do with splitting profits.

12. Chris Jent MVP

why should they make a lifetime's money in 10 years ??? they have the option of going back to school and getting a degree and a new profession like a normal person. sports commentary, coaching, scouting etc, they have many options available for their future.

13. Dei

Dei Member

Outside of sports, they'll have a ten-year handicap. I think not.

14. Chris Jent MVP

the smart players get their degrees while they are still playing. but regardless, that handicap is negated by their previous accomplishments. having "nba player" on your resume automatically puts you in the running for a job opening. regardless still, plenty of normal people go back to school and get new degrees and change careers in their 30's and 40's and they do just fine without having the advantages afforded by an nba career.

15. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

What if the employee you hire makes you more money than you could make w/o the employee?

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

He's still my employee...

I make the company I work for thousands of dollars for the software I create and design for them... But i'm still their employee which means I have no right to that software and I get a paid a salary...

T_Man

1 person likes this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

I'm more inclined to side with the owners......I just can't feel a whole lot of sympathy for the players.

Some of their arguments don't make sense to me and are downright laughable.

18. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

You joking? There's been tons of guys who were hugely successful after their careers who never even played past their rookie contracts. Just having the name recognition is all you need.

There's thousands of people they could replace you with.

Just saying, please stop comparing this to a mom and pop store or any other conventional business.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why should they earn a lifetime's income in their first "job" where they stayed 10 years? Did you?

20. Dei

Dei Member

Do they make up the majority?