1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Famous geologist predicts West coast earthquake 3/19/11!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

For those that don't know him, Jim Berkland is the geologist that successfully predicted the 1989 World Series earthquake (in fact he lost his job with the USGS for making his prediction). His methods are based on the lunar effects on the tides and observing where fish and mammals start dieing off.

His claim is that the next big earthquake along the ring of fire will be this weekend. He was just interviewed on FOX News (March 15th, 2011) and here is that interview segment

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z8eB-vn23bw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Say what you want about "predictions" but what makes this guy unique is he knows what to look for, and has credits to his name for predicting the earthquake of the 1989 World Series before it happened.

2. sew

sew Member

my parents are visiting family in socal right now, this is scaring the **** outta me.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Evacuate now!!!! Don't forget the Iodine....

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Seriously, why didn't this guy predict the Japan earthquake?

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

jeez, i hope not. my parents are vacationing in LA

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

My best guess is he lives on the west coast and monitors it closely.
    He didn't say he had a 100% infallible formula to predict quakes. He seems like he might have a couple screws loose but, he doesn't sound entirely crazy either. Frankly, if I was on the west coast I'd be taking my vacation right now. Somewhere far away I might add.

Side note: everyone is talking about Japan right now, but I've heard that tidal waves from that quake have caused millions in damage in Hawaii. I haven't seen many reports about that at all.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of course, Japan is the main source of talk. They have lost perhaps 10,000+ lives and have a nuclear crisis on its hands. Meanwhile, Hawaii and the west coast suffered damage, but apparently only 1 death in Oregon.

If you have been reading USA Today, CNN, MSNBC, Yahoo and other news sites, you would have seen articles about the tens of millions of dollars worth of damage in Hawaii. People are/were talking, but folks in Hawaii aren't having to evacuate or seal themselves in their houses. They don't have to wait in line for hours for gas or food.

Just because you haven't seen many reports, doesn't mean they don't exist.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I wonder who he's got going to the Final Four?

2 people like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember hearing recently that there is a 30% chances of a major earthquake hitting CA. in the next decade so anyone can predict a major earthquake in CA and sooner or later just playing the odds someone will be right.

10. sew

sew Member

can anyone else give a reasonable explanation to the mass fish death on the west coast?

11. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FKitvyywkG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

isnt 3/19 the day where the moon comes ridiculously close to the earth and will cause a lot of natural disasters?

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm impressed he predicted one in 1989, but has he been right since then? There have been hundreds of earth quakes, ranging from minor to massive since then. Has he nailed any of them or is his claim to fame an accurate prediction from before Olajuwon schooled David Robinson?

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The fish death was caused by a school of sardines who ended up schooling in shallow water, possibly to avoid feeding dolphins. That many fish in that shallow of a section of water drained the oxygen out of the harbor and the fish suffocated.

This had nothing to do with the moon or geological forces.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/08/national/main20040677.shtml

[rquoter]Gabrielli says it's believed the fish moved into the harbor late Monday or early Tuesday to escape a red tide, a naturally occurring bloom of toxic algae that can poison fish or starve them of oxygen.

Gabrielli says high winds apparently kept the fish from leaving the harbor and they all crushed up against the harbor wall, where they used up the oxygen and suffocated.

Another possible explanation is that the anchovies are prey for bigger fish and marine mammals, so large numbers may have swarmed into the harbor from deeper waters seeking shelter, reports Reuters.
    [/rquoter]

15. Steve_Francis_rules

Why am I not at all surprised that this clip is from Fox "News"?

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No **** Sherlock, what's up with the hostile tone?
    I said I haven't SEEN much about it. Obviously I heard about it somewhere. Internet douchebags...

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

..Rapture, I love you...

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wow, talk about hostility. I simply responded to your side note with answers to your concerns.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Which is exactly what "Fox Noise" wants, to keep their viewers terrified.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Somebody needs a St. Pat's Guiness..

That would be me.:p