1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Famous cannabis users

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by right1, Jul 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. right1

right1 Member

Whitney Houston
    Dionne Warwick

Busted!!!:( .

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

One of the greatest film directors of our time, Robert Altman, is a regular user.

One of the greatest bluesmen of our time, Muddy Waters, was a regular user until he passed away.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dave Matthews

4. Isabel

Isabel Member

It does seem that way. Of course, I would be really impressed if someone managed to come up with creative stuff without the aid of any chemicals at all...

5. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Pro-Ming :D

Anti-Weed :mad:

Seriously though, in my fraternity house 2 years ago, I was the only guy in the house(out of 30) who didn't smoke(not even once).

To each his/her own, i just hope you and these famous users get busted! :D

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Several people have. Frank Zappa's a good example of an incredibly creative, prolific straight edge artist.

Weed's not a chemical. It's a natural herb, which relaxes the mind and has an effect on the brain very similar to yoga. It would also be impressive if someone had a lot of energy in the morning without drinking coffee. Or if someone was in very good health without taking vitamins. My point was to try and do my small part in removing the stigma of pot. People unfamiliar with the effects believe the government line and lump it in with other illegal drugs, even though alcohol, cigarettes, coffee, meat and dairy are worse and worse for you.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it's funny that Zappa was straight, and nobody is more strange than him. Very creative.

As far as meat, dairy, alcahol etc. being worse than pot, would have to be taken individually.

Meat, and dairy certainly isn't worse than pot. Depending on what part meat plays in an idividuals diet meat can be very healthy for you. I think Weed and Alcahol are on par as far as how bad they are for you. They just affect different parts of your health and body.

8. Batman Jones

FranchiseBlade,

No disrespect intended, but you would be wrong there.

No one has ever died from smoking pot. Ever. (I'm not talking about pot related deaths. I'm sure people have wrecked their cars and died from smoking, but not nearly as many as have done that drunk.)

No one has ever been physically addicted to pot, because it's impossible. Alcohol is very addictive and many people have died from it.

No one has ever had a heart attack due to clogged arteries due to pot. They have due to meat. Yes, you can "use" meat and dairy responsibly, but you can also die from their misuse. Not so of weed.

Ask any doctor. They will tell you alcohol is far worse for you than weed. Many doctors would tell you you'd be healthier as a pot smoking vegetarian than as a teetotalling meat eater.

Hydra: Yes, there are many losers who smoke weed. I don't think anyone said it could turn a loser into a winner. There are also many losers who drive cars, eat food, breathe, talk on the telephone and breathe. What's your point?

In fact it is even possible to be a loser and become president. Our current president is an alcoholic, former cokehead, underachieving, undereducated hypocrite. And 80% of the country loves him. I think we've got bigger problems than making sure hippies don't get the munchies and fall asleep. And probably better things to arrest people for.

#28 Batman Jones, Jul 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2002
  9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree that people can misuse meat, or alcahol. I thought we were talking about recreational use. Pot, usually does mean taking smoke into your lungs. Whatever other affects pot has on you, that's bad for you. Drinking one beer a day is actually good for your heart, and doesn't abuse your lungs, or anything else. A glass of red wine a day is also good for your heart. Like I said they affect different things, and physical addiction is one thing that Alcahol has that is worse than pot, but the damage to your lungs is one way in which pot is worse.

Meat can clog your arteries, but if you were very active like a professional basketball player and didn't get meat, it would be very very hard for you to get enough of the right kinds of protein to nourish your body. It would be hard for your body to build enough muscle to begin with.

Also I know of one pregnant woman who was told by several doctors that in order to ensure her health and the babies health she would have to eat meat.

Not every person is a pro athelete or an expecting mother, so not everyone has the same needs, but the fact that it's natural and sometimes neccessary to eat meat is why I would say it's not worse than pot.

I don't have a problem with legalizing mar1juana, but depending on people use pot, alcahol or anything else there are problems associated with it.

10. Batman Jones

You're right. It's bad for you to smoke anything. It's also bad for you to eat almost anything. Sugar, salt, caffeine and chemical preservatives can all be very bad for you. Of course, all things in moderation are likely alright.

I repeat, though: Alcohol's worse for you and that's a medical fact. It's not worse for your lungs, but it's worse overall. And cigarettes are far worse than pot, but they are legal. My point here is not to win an argument, but to make it clear that health issues have ZERO to do with why pot is illegal.

But if you're that health conscious, there is also the option of eating pot, which is not bad for your lungs or any other part of your body.

11. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

I don't believe most doctors are good sources of nutritional advice. It isn't a required subject in many medical schools, and few have the time or inclination to seek out the latest info on their own. There are many sources of protein other than meat. And thus ends my vegetarian rant...:)

12. Batman Jones

Word, Mrs. JB.

I was tempted to say the same, but held off as I didn't want to mix my weed rant with my vegan rant.

Veg since 87, Vegan since 93 and I'm still a superhero. I think that puts the lie to the health issue.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree that people can be healthy and get protein while being vegetarian. But... there are different types of protein. And for instance just beans won't give you the protein you need, there is another piece of the puzzle needed for the protein to be activated. Anyway the combinations of food that will give you enough protein are limited, but meat, has all the ingredients already equipped.

In the case of the pregnant woman(actually the baby is over a year old now.) I know, she was a vegetarian and after her regular doctor suggested it she wanted a second opinion. Anyway she eventually ate meat during her pregnancy, and improved and everything worked out well.

There is also a case of Vegan parents who are currently on trial because they made their baby a vegan, and without milk, etc. the baby became malnourished. The courts put the couple on trial for abuse. Sometimes these things are needed.

Again for most people it is possible to be vegetarian and very healthy. I'm not trying to slam vegetarians. My point is that meat isn't neccessarily bad, and is sometimes very good for people.

Batman, I hope our debate is ok with you, because I don't intend to sound combative, or angry or anything, just good natured debate.

That being said, I disagree that it's medical fact that alcahol is WORSE for you than pot. I can probably find doctors that have opinions across the spectrum about which one is worse or if they're the same etc.

It doesn't bother me at all if people want to use pot, because I don't think it's worse than alcahol, but just different. It's effect on memory loss is more significant, stays in your body longer, affects your lungs more(if it's smoked) etc. Alcahol, is worse for your liver, can add to obesity, kidney problems, physical addiction, etc. There are some similarities, and other differences too. Anyway that's my two cents. It's fine if we disagree, and I respect your opinions, and believe them to be informed. I just wanted to give the reasoning behind my own opinions etc.

#33 FranchiseBlade, Jul 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2002
  14. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

Stop smoking crackheads.

People who want to legalize mar1juana, I find, are all doing it for selfish reasons. Admit it, you just wanna get high without legal consequences, you aint gonna grow a garden to make rope and clothing. Morons.

Weed makes you stupid. Don't kid yourself.

I know it made me stupid.

15. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I nominate this for ignorant post of the year.

Keep up the good work Batman Jones.

16. DiSeAsEd MoNkEy

ignorant?

ignorant to think that people want mary jane to be legal mostly just because they want to get high?

i dont see why you think he's ignorant...

please enlighten me.

17. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

Thank you my dear.

18. Batman Jones

Truer words were never spoken.

ZRB: Thanks, pal. I like you better every day.

FranchiseBlade: Nothing you've said's offended me at all. Appreciate you looking out, though. Hope I'm not offending you either.

If you find a doctor who tells you that mar1juana's worse for you than alcohol, I'll find one who can tell you vitamins are worse for you than poison. It's not gonna happen and if it does happen the doctor's hired by the liquor industry. Yes, there are some bad physical effects to smoking pot, but they are so incredibly less than those of drinking that it's not even worth talking about. I respect your opinion and all, but you're dead wrong here.

On protein: First, it's incredibly overrated. Second, beans are not the only protein source available to vegans. There are many and there are many food combinations that are referred to as 'complete proteins.' Yes, meat has all your protein in convenient little carcass. It is more convenient, but not healthier. Incidentally, I'm not vegan for health reasons. I also drink more than most of you put together and smoke menthols. I'm vegan because when I was young and learned about slavery I wondered what horrible crime we were perpetrating against nature now that was presently socially acceptable (like slavery was once) and I decided that it was cruelty to animals. I'm no longer a crusader on the topic, have many friends who eat meat and often date girls who eat meat. It just isn't food to me anymore and it seems gross to eat dead bodies or internal fluids from strange animals. I only get on my high horse about this when a meat eater tries to talk ethics with me or when a Christian tells me I'm going to Hell because I won't say Jesus' name, even though I live closer to his teachings than many of his so-called disciples.

As for the couple who malnourished their child, I think they should go to jail like all criminals. Including the religious freaks who won't take their sick child to a hospital because it's against their religion.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Don't worry Batman, no offense taken here at all. I rarely take anything personally. Also have no fear... I won't, at all, try and convince anyone not to be vegan, or not to be vegetarian. I have no problem with each individual determinging there own diet. And I feel the same about religion. Each individual can and should determine that for himself.

I was only using beans as an example, and I agree that in most cases vegetarians/vegans etc. can manage to have a healthy balanced diet.

20. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

Why do you love weed so much?

I agree with you on pretty much everything except for your pro-weed attitude.