1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Family Friendly Astros seats

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nimo, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm trying to go out to the game with my two girls (ages 3 and 1.5). In the past when I've been to the games I've never paid attention to family-friendly seating because I didn't go with the kids. Any of you guys know the best section at Minute Maid Park for kids?

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There isn't really a bad section for kids. It's not as though there is a rowdy part of the park, but all parts have access to alcohol. Wherever you sit there's a chance you might be near "that guy"

I would avoid seats down the baselines. With all the hotshots, I would be constantly paranoid

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Probably the outfield. Close enough to the playground area for them if they need to be taken there and not on the baselines.

EDIT: Actually, the kiddos are probably too young for that. For the three-year-old's sake, a section without as many people help. If yours is anything like mine, she likes to roam a bit and won't sit still for too long. She did make it through a game in May like a trouper though!

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

3 and 1.5? Yeah, your living room... (says guy with a 4 year old and 2-year old twins who has been there....)

Orbit patrols lower level, which is either a really good thing, or a potentially life-altering scary thing. Squeeze Play is behind 3rd base, which is a nice distraction.

With kids, if you can afford it, the suite is the way to go - huge area for them to run around, lost of food options, etc. ETA: not suite; sorry - CLUB level. I mispoke.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Those two things are what I'm concerned about. Drunk guy and Fly ball.

6. Hey Now!

Drunk guy far less of a concern on a weeknight. And don't sleep on line drives, certainly - but likelihood fairly minimal, especially with little kids.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I haven't spent too much time at the playground. Can't tell if they are too old. They'll probably make me go broke at the shop though.

Yeah, good point about the row space.

8. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

No offense but there is no such thing as "family friendly" at baseball, football or basketball events.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Baseball is much more leisurely than the other 2. I would certainly say it is decidedly more family oriented, although alcohol always means the occasional jerk.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Baseball is as family friendly as going to the movies... or a play... or even a museum.

Low-key environment with plenty of "breaks", no non-stop loud music being pumped in, and most importantly... far more affordable than any of the other sports.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, football games are a **** show that doubles as a That Guy Convention.

1 person likes this.
  12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Not really. I go to plenty of baseball games and have sat in mostly every section/area of MMP, there is a section anywhere at MMP that strikes me as family friendly. You will encourer the same type of fans regardless where you sit. If they get too rowdy for you, just tell an usher. At least that's what I do when people next to me at the game are reckless. By reckless i mean drinking a crap ton, cussing alot and smoking

13. Hey Now!

You apparently haven't been to MMP since 1977....

14. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Only problem with squeeze play is if it rains, it closes. I took my 6 year old on Saturday. It rained in the morning. No signs, but it was closed. When I asked, I was told why. She was bummed. But we were up in 436. Not bad, only problem was we couldn't see the big screen. It's cheaper to sit higher, but definitely more "family" things (Orbit, t shirt tosses, etc.) down lower. All about your budget.

15. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Probably better off going to a Skeeters game.

16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I second that....great place to introduce the kids to baseball games. Won't break the bank in the event you have to leave early (which will most likely be the case).