1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Family Feud' TV host Richard Dawson has died

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 3, 2012.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Richard Dawson, the wisecracking British entertainer who was among the schemers in the 1960s sitcom "Hogan's Heroes" and a decade later began kissing thousands of female contestants as host of the game show "Family Feud" has died. He was 79.

Dawson, also known to TV fans as the Cockney POW Cpl. Peter Newkirk on "Hogan's Heroes," died Saturday night from complications related to esophageal cancer at Ronald Reagan Memorial hospital, his son Gary said.

The game show, which initially ran from 1976 to 1985, pitted families who tried to guess the most popular answers to poll questions such as "What do people give up when they go on a diet?"

Dawson won a daytime Emmy Award in 1978 as best game show host. Tom Shales of The Washington Post called him "the fastest, brightest and most beguilingly caustic interlocutor since the late great Groucho bantered and parried on 'You Be Your Life.'" The show was so popular it was released as both daytime and syndicated evening versions.

He was known for kissing each woman contestant, and at the time the show bowed out in 1985, executive producer Howard Felsher estimated that Dawson had kissed "somewhere in the vicinity of 20,000."

"I kissed them for luck and love, that's all," Dawson said at the time.

He reprised his game show character in a much darker mood in the 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger film "The Running Man," playing the host of a deadly TV show set in a totalitarian future, where convicts try to escape as their executioners stalk them. "Saturday Night Live" mocked him in the 1970s, with Bill Murray portraying him as leering and nasty, even slapping one contestant (John Belushi) for getting too fresh.

The British-born actor already had gained fame as the fast-talking Newkirk in "Hogan's Heroes," the CBS comedy about prisoners in a Nazi POW camp who hoodwink their captors and run the place themselves.

Despite its unlikely premise, the show made the ratings top 10 in its first season, 1965-66, and ran until 1971.

Both "Hogan's Heroes" and "Family Feud" have had a second life in recent years, the former on DVD reissues and the latter on GSN, formerly known as the Game Show Network.

On Dawson's last "Family Feud" in 1985, the studio audience honored him with a standing ovation, and he responded: "Please sit down. I have to do at least 30 minutes of fun and laughter and you make me want to cry."

"I've had the most incredible luck in my career," he told viewers.

"I never dreamed I would have a job in which so many people could touch me and I could touch them," he said. That triggered an unexpected laugh.

Producers brought out "The New Family Feud," starring comedian Ray Combs, in 1988. Six years later, Dawson replaced Combs at the helm, but that lasted only one season.

According to the Internet Movie Database, Dawson was born Colin Lionel Emm in 1932 in Gosport, England. His first wife was actress Diana Dors, the blond bombshell who was Britain's answer to Marilyn Monroe.

http://news.yahoo.com/family-feud-tv-host-richard-dawson-died-142027262.html

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

One of those people I thought died 20 years ago RIP.

3. esteban

esteban Member

RIP Cpl. Peter Newkirk

4. codell

codell Member

RIP

He was in The Running Man also no?

5. The Real Shady

Thought he was already dead as well. Guess I keep confusing him with the host that killed himself.

RIP

#5 The Real Shady, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Which host killed himself? and host of what show?

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zdVuEpD9_IY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish there were more of these!! RIP Mr. Dawson.

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

He was British? Did he speak with an American accent on purpose?

9. 713

713 Member

This...RIP

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I'll always know him from The Running Man

11. codell

codell Member

Ray Combs - he was also host of Family Fued

12. Behad

Behad Member

His first wife (from the article):
    [​IMG]

I loved him on Match Game

13. what

what Member

Wholly crap Richard Dawson was hitting this:

[​IMG]

14. Kyakko

Kyakko Member

The guy's a pimp. He invented the 'cop a feel' on game shows. RIP.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sKM98fYPVuo&t=24m9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wow I just read Ray Comb's wiki page. He and Richard Dawson died on the same date.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I didn't realize or remember that he did the show again in the 90s for a season.

18. Kam

Kam Member

Daaamn.

Hot women.

Hey Al Borland, from Tool Time, you're next!

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

we asked a hundred people, name a game show host who you thought was dead but wasn't.

survey says

richard dawson 72

2 people like this.
  20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As a kid, I loved watching Hogan's Heroes. I can still hear the intro music in my head. My mother hated the show because of the jovial, humorous portrait of Nazis.