1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

False Equivalence: 74% of Political Killings By Right Wing Extremists Since 2007

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Aug 16, 2017.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Neither would surprise me because Trump fans are what they are regardless. They don't think they are racist, but they are in ways they will never consider racist. They don't understand what racism actually looks like in 2017.

They disagree with Neo Nazi methods but its important to still note that Trump supporters in nature clearly voted for a Nationalist agenda. So while a Trump voter might not want to physically harm minorities because they don't have the stomach for those extremes, they still have a worldview that clearly expresses White Grievance and policy that will help shift the financial power back to white majority areas of the country. That is exactly what Bannon's "Economic Nationalism" nonsense is all about. Tariffs that will manipulate industries and geographies that are essential to Trump voters, and punish those that rely on globalization and bring in minorities.

So if your methods are different, but you want the same thing does that make you any better of a person? You want to hit someone in their pocket book rather than over the head with a bat.... congratulations. Hope you sleep well at night. 25 to 30% of America (67% of Republicans) are inherently racist. Not sure why that is so controversial, or hard to believe. They freaking chant "Built a Wall" at rallies for crying out loud.

2. The Stig

The Stig Member

From a moral perspective, I'll agree with OP (edit: not OP, @fchowd0311). I do think that anyone that's believes in what Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, and etc. stand for have every right to be hated and loathed. That kind of beliefs is everything America stands against.

If we're judging off the events last weekend and who was involved, yes, the Far Right is wrong with their intimidation tactics and hateful agenda. *We should blame the murder of an innocent woman on the Far Right nutjob. However, not all parties are innocent. Antifa cannot be let off the hook. Period. They believe in all sorts of things and keep changing their motto to whatever fits best and provide enough justification to let them go and cause violence in the rallies. This isn't the first time they've done this. They have been and are still using these "fascist" techniques to silence people who don't agree with their views. They've cost millions of dollars of damages everywhere around the country and it seems like we are giving them a free pass.

Lastly, I think the whole, "If you blame other sides besides the far right only, then you believe in what white supremacy stands for" is a very flawed conditional statement.

#102 The Stig, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Bobbythegreat likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How about "if you believe Antifa, BLM, and people which think communism is a sound economic system are morally equivalent to Nazis, you are being a white nationalist apologist". And yes, multiple posters here and the president have stated this.

You can think that Antifa tactics are unhelpful and frown upon it. You can think that BLM might overstate their grievances. You can believe that communism is a stupid unpragmatic system, but they are not morally equivalent to the core principles of Nazism.

4. The Stig

The Stig Member

Yes, Trump was a ******* idiot for saying for not denouncing the Far Right nonsense sooner. Actually, his course of action this whole week was terrible. I'm not gonna defend him on that. Agree with the general content of your response.

This was the original statement that I had a problem with and probably should've quoted that earlier. I think that is a flawed statement and is over-generalizing the overall Republican base. Do you think that the right leaning minorities would agree with that statement?

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You can be a Trump supporter even though at this point you have to be some irrational idiot or anarchist, and disagree with individual actions of his. I'm sure the few minority supporters he has, some of them frowned upon his response.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The ratio for me is the opposite. That might explain the different levels of concern to some degree.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's of note that someone "agreeing with Trump's response" which was condemning all violence at the event and denouncing all racism and hate isn't the same as someone supporting white nationalism or Nazism....but of course that's how it'll be spun. The polls speak for themselves, support for those kinds of groups is incredibly small in the US, but that won't stop the talking points suggesting that all conservatives or all Republicans or all Trump supporters are white supremacists.

That's really what is unfortunate in this whole ordeal, the left is using this incident as an excuse to push for even more divisiveness, even more ridiculous statements about every single person that disagrees with them.....and it's those types of tactics that they've been using for the past 5 years or so that have led in part to the state of things today.

Now I'm not going to say that the right doesn't use the same types of tactics, but those on the left are trying to pretend that they have some kind of a moral superiority so it makes the hypocrisy worse.