1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Falcons Fire Reeves

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROCKSS, Dec 10, 2003.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons fired Dan Reeves on Wednesday, dismissing the sixth-winningest coach in NFL history with three games left in a disappointing season, a team source told The Associated Press.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will take over as head coach for the rest of the season, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The Falcons scheduled a morning news conference to announce the stunning move. Reeves had one year left on his contract.

Reeves' job security had been a subject of speculation as the Falcons fell from the playoffs a year ago to one of the worst teams in the league after quarterback Michael Vick was hurt in the preseason.

Still, the timing of the move was curious, coming just three days after the Falcons (3-10) defeated Carolina 20-14 in overtime in Vick's first start of the season.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Had Michael Vick been healthy all year, you would be looking at a playoff team. But he wasn't, and Doug Johnson was terrible. I think it's ridiculous to fire Dan Reeves when you take that into account.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Anyone else notice that Wade Phillips seems to always get these interim jobs. I think he has been hired on an interim basis more than a permanent basis.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That is because one of the few permanent head coaching jobs he had, he was in over his head with the Broncos - great offenses, and no clue how to stop the simplest offenses on defense, like say the wing-T.:mad:

6. drapg

drapg Member

Reeves got robbed.

This situation reminds me of the year David Robinson was injured for an entire season (1996). Bob Hill coached them to a 3-15 record, and Robinson had gone down about 5 games into the season. The Spurs only won twenty-some games without the Admiral and got the first overall pick in the 1997 NBA draft (which they parlayed into Tim Duncan).

So what does GM Greg Popovich do? He sees that the Spurs are dying without Robinson, and chooses to fire Hill after twenty games with a CBA roster and hires himself as the new head coach. The team goes into the tank, gets Duncan, and he "leads" them to a title with a healthy Robinson and Duncan, thus setting himself up to look like a great coach.

I'm more than positive Hill could have done just the same if he was allowed to stick around. Hell, he won 60 games a season earlier. But no, Popovich had to give him the shizzaft!

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

... And this move couldn't wait until the end of season because...?

I know that Blank told Reeves he was going to be fired, and that Reeves shot back to fire him immediately, but why would Blank even tell him that now?? 3 weeks left in the season. Not a lot of time left. Let your lame duck coach play it out, for the sake of the team, the fans, and any possible turmoil. It's not like the Falcons are playing for anything now, anyway.

Congratulations, Arthur. You've just lost yourself the next 3 games. :rolleyes:

8. Lil Pun

I've never thought of that drapg. That is a good analysis because it makes a lot of sense. Tim Duncan was a sure fire nuber 1 pick the next year, your team's top player has went down with injury, so fire the head coach, tank the rest of the season and hire yourself. Popovich sucks!

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I nominate Deion Sanders for Head Coach.

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Please be kidding

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think Reeves is getting the shaft...I know he's suppose to still coach without that one player, but that one player is the best to ever step on a football field...

I'm sure he'll land somewhere else in a couple of years...

12. Lil Pun

Based on what?

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

they're falcon idiots for firing reeves. :)

14. Buck Turgidson

Hype.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So the same player who led his team to the first playoff victory against Greenbay at home in forever is all hype.

16. Lil Pun

Maybe not all hype but damn I think it's a little early to be calling him the greatest ever. Surely you will agree.

17. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Dan Reeves with Michael Vick = very good coach (playoffs)

Dan Reeves without Michael Vick = fired

Duh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. Lil Pun

What's your point?

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He didn't say all hype.

And he didn't lead his team to victory, his defense did. A grand total of 181 yards and one total TD isn't exactly leading (and yes, I do realize that the weather had a lot to do with his total).

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

This whole thing reminds me of Andy Reid in Philly last year.

A coaches' true worth is tested when his star player goes down..

Reid was able to keep the Eagles above .500 while McNabb was out... Reeves had the team fall apart at the seams.

The Atlanta defense wrote Reeves' pinkslip for him.