1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Falcon Heights] Woman goes live on Facebook after boyfriend is shot by police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RV6, Jul 7, 2016.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Make America Great Again!

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This.

lol at some people saying that this will serve as a turning point for police reform in this country. Have you seen how stupid some (white) people are when it comes to denying police racism and unfair treatment?

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Nothing is gonna change. This will just keep getting worse and worse as we can clearly see. What the government is going to give police less power? Yeah right. I take that back. Sooner or later some cops are going to shoot and kill another innocent victim and then that victim's family members/friends who witness it will go into self-defense mode and shoot and injure/kill the cops. Of course, they the victims will be found guilty.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You could tell the officer was visibly and verbally shaken. I think its obvious the officer had no ill intentions before he shot him. He just ****ed up REALLY BAD.

This is more of a 'lack of trigger discipline' case than 'racist cop' case.

1 person likes this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This was an outrage. I don't care how the cop looks after the fact. He assessed the situation poorly and he murdered a man. The guy had a kid and his gf in the car. This cop was way too trigger happy. Doesn't seem cut out for the job. He belongs in jail for murder.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If that happens, there would be an insane **** storm to ensue. The Fox News posse and the BLM posse would go on a all out civil war.

Legally, a civilian ought to be able to defend one's self or one's family from a LEO not following lawful orders right?

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Or a little of both, right? We can't know what he would have done if the motorist was a white man reaching for his license in the glove box. Statistically, we know in great detail, sadly. But we'll never know what this exact cop would have done.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't get why this even happened. The guy told him he had a gun and a permit to carry a gun...right? So, why did the rest happen after that...because the guy was reaching to get his license and registration because the cop asked for it? Then, the cop decided he was reaching for a gun he already told the cop he had? It makes no sense. Is that what happened?

There is only one formula to any gun violence. People die wherever guns are.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have a friend who said "He shouldn't have reached for his gun" and that the cop had reason to believe he feared for his life because the guy told him had a gun and then moved in that direction.

Come on folks. What kind of person warns the cop he has a gun and then tries to draw on him? LOL

Like I said, black lives are cheap if you are white. It's easy to shrug your shoulders and say "Shouldn't have done..." or "Oh well, got what's coming to him" or post some facebook meme or act like a total dick about the death of a friend, brother, sister, father, etc. or call the death a good thing for society or for the family like Booby does...it's easy to do those things when you are white.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't need to be shouting the n-word as he pulls the trigger for observers to suggest that perhaps his mind, upon seeing that the driver was black, jumped to a place it wouldn't have if the driver had been white.

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Have to think the officer should have removed him from the vehicle and then obtained the weapon. I thought that's how it worked when you declare you have a weapon.

I guess the only plausible way I can see the officer freaking out is if the victim said "I have a gun and license, here let me show you my license." and reaching at the same time. But from what folks are saying, it doesn't sound like it happened like that.

You could argue murder, but I would think manslaughter would be the actual crime. I'm not sure the officer intended to shoot him. Maybe a case of bad training. But then again, you really don't know what goes on in the heads of people. I'm sure somewhere deep down he had some thoughts of "this guy could be a thug" before even talking to him. Some people aren't overtly racist, but we've seen enough stuff in life, TV, and movies where sometimes the stereotypes tend to take over and its more subtle then you think.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Even shouting the n-word wouldn't be evidence enough for people like RocketsLegend.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh.... I have heard a lot of hispanics and asians echo the same sentiment. I don't know that it is simple as "white"...... there are also regional differences as well.

I want to know what the outcome was for the officer that shot the black man in the neck at a traffic stop in Cincinnati. That was CLEARLY a case of an officer being afraid of his environment and shooting when he shouldn't have.... he only shot one time, at the first sign of movement.... but the black man died in less than a minute....... just horrible. It was murder.

15. Nook

Nook Member

That is the case a vast majority of the time.

Cops don't want to risk a homicide charge.

Having said that, it is still murder and something has to change.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your whining aside, the people shot by police often is a good thing for society, this isn't one of those examples though. I am happy for those who want to believe that "the man" is out to get them though, they finally have a legitimate case to get behind so they don't have to keep looking like morons defending jackasses like Micheal Brown. March on Washington!!!

At some point we'll move beyond petty racism and realize that no lives matter, that all life is cheap. Until then...well we can march on Washington any time a black man ends up dead and it not even be newsworthy when the same thing happens to others.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I disagree. I think all this stuff with video of excessive force is really tough to go through, but it will improve policing in the long run. Its not that deadly force and excessive force and even police corruption are new. It's just that the only evidence we had was eyewitness testimony that was cognitively easier to discount and ignore. Video is harder to argue with. Cops might resent all the video, but it's only going to increase, so they know the public vigilance and accountability is now very high. You can't just plant a gun and say you feared for your life. Cops need to be very careful to cover their asses by doing everything by the book. And we're seeing changes in policing too. High appetite for police body cams. Legal reforms in Ferguson. And, did you see how fast Baton Rouge turned their case over to the DOJ? Would that have happened 20 years ago? It's just that policing won't be fixed in a day. We've got years and years of this ahead of us and it's going to feel like it's only getting worse as we try to turn the battleship. But, I'm convinced the pain is only going to make the police more professional and more accountable, and the public will be more vigilant but probably become a bit more savvy in evaluating these police interactions. One thing I wish we could do as a society is to recognize that everybody wants good policing -- too many people get cynical and say "the cops are all racists!" or "BLM wants to kill cops!" We need to love our cops and also to hold them accountable. It's unfortunate policing has become a partisan issue.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Wait for what? Another police whitewashing of the facts? We also have another innocent black male who's now dead. So what are we to do now? This man was a law abiding citizen who CLEARLY TOLD that b*stard that he had a concealed carry permit (which is what he was supposed to do) and that he was reaching for his wallet. That fool cop executed that man. :mad:

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't think that they should consider both sides of the story? I mean, if things happened the way the woman said they did, then the cop is going to jail, but how often does that not end up being the case? Remember "hands up, don't shoot"? That turned out to be total BS. Was the cop wearing a body cam? I feel like that would end all debate. Even if not, I want to see the dash cam to hear how things happened but as of now, that cop is in DEEP trouble.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think stereotyping always means racism, though.
    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I'd assume more often than not, stereotyping based on physical appearance - not just skin color, but skin color, dress, any tattoos, type of vehicle in this case, etc, etc. yields assumptions of various information much of which is right regarding a persons socioeconomic condition.

CLEARLY, that doesn't mean we should be stereotyping or profiling indiscriminately AND ABSOLUTELY it doesn't mean "black male is probably morally corrupt and deserves to get shot". That is IN NO WAY what I'm saying at all. I am saying because the officer was stereotyping doesn't mean that he was racist. He may have been... I don't know.

Initially I questioned what the girlfriend was doing so seemingly calmly streaming on facebook live. But I soon got it thereafter. The fact that she thought to do it so quickly frankly speaks to the sad state of cop on black crime in the country at the moment. Clearly she'd thought of doing it previously, or had conversations amongst her circle about how to preserve evidence if they were ever in such a situation. Smart. Though, and this changes absolutely nothing, one probably would have liked to see her doing a bit more to help her boyfriend.. whatever that means.

As for the officer, my first inclination is definitely to consider (i) stupidity, (ii) really bad training, (iii) overreliance, and poor use of, stereotyping, (iv) a mistake.... than outright racism fueled "murder". Though it might be the later, who knows. Cop should still be tried and sentenced accordingly, and deserves meaningful jail time [subject to some new info coming to light].