1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fade's Fantasy Baseball Early Check-In

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Jan 27, 2007.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Hey dudes. So are we going to do this again this year or what? Everyone who played (PSJ, Smeg, Finn, DH, SamC, Castor, LHFan, Jent, Rook) is welcome back. Also, if more people are interested in joining, we can easily expand to 12 or even 14 teams.

The reason I am posting this so early is because we need to decide if we're going back to Fanstar. If so, we should get on that pretty soon. They already removed the early renewal discount link from the site, but I think they'll let us register for the discount price if I e-mail them and ask for it. They have in the past, anyway. As before, I'll need help with the fee when the time comes - $5 each should cover it.

Are we all happy with fanstar and the current system? Does anybody think we should consider changing anything? It wasn't really popular when I mentioned it before, but I'll throw it out there again and ask if anyone is interested in changing to some sort of a keeper format? It would add the element of offseason trades, which might be fun.

Anyway, let me know who is coming back and any thoughts you have. I personally can't wait until spring training. :)

2. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'll be back.

I like the idea of the keeper format - adds a little more strategy to the draft, trades, ect........

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm definitely back and would welcome a keeper format depending on the amount of players on our "keeper" roster.

4. fadeaway

Good news. They let me renew the site for the old price of $59 when I asked. I went ahead and paid it. When you get a chance, drop five or six bucks to joshgillard@hotmail.com via paypal if you plan to come back this year.

Thanks to LH and Rook for responding. I'd still like to hear from the rest of you regarding possibly going to a keeper format. Even if you don't care one way or the other, I'd still like to hear from you. If a high majority (i.e. around 75% of owners) are okay with making the switch, then we'll go with it and hash things out. From the leagues I've researched, 5 kept players seems to be the norm. That would basically shorten the draft by 5 rounds, but the draft seems to stress a lot of people out lately anyway, so I don't think it's a big worry.

Anyway, let me know!

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Baseball season can't get here fast enough!

I like the idea of a keeper system. But the downside is locking in teams (hard to change the number of players or add anyone new when you've got that system) and diminishing the value of the draft (funnest and busiest part of the season imo). If you're going to do it, I think 5 players is too many to start with. Maybe start with 1 or 2 keepers this season, if any, and see how it goes from there.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Don't like the keeper thing. Keep it the way it is.

I agree with Sam, 5 keepers is WAY too many. 1 or 2 at the most.

7. fadeaway

Here's PSJ's thoughts on the situation:

"We are due for a change of pace. So I'm ok with keepers. I agree, however, that the draft is less exciting. The only real benefit of keeper is that you can survive injuries and that you have a long lasting connection to your team.

If you keep one or two players, are you really connected to your team over the longg haul? Not really. So what is the point of keeping at all in that scenario. I would rather keep 5.

If we do keepers, then I think you have to have a normal draft from here on out. The worst team drafts first in each round the following year. No more snakes. The worst team deserves a chance to get better.

Any new teams should draft dead last. And I think the dead team players should go into the pool of availables. This forces the newbee to build his team from the bottom up. Jamma."

I agree with his point about it being hard to become connected to only 1 or 2 players. Might as well stick with redraft if that's the case.

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i'm in and although keeper appeals, think redraft now and roll into a keeper next year

9. fadeaway

Oh, yeah. No doubt about that. I don't think anyone is suggesting using the current team rosters as a basis for keepers. There will be a full draft this year.

10. fadeaway

So far:

Rook: coming back, supports keeper idea
    LHFan: coming back, supports keeper idea dependinig on how many are kept
    Sam: coming back, supports keeper idea, but only if 1-2 are kept
    Smeg: coming back, supports keeper idea
    PSJ: coming back, supports keeper idea; wants 5 players kept

BobFinn: coming back, does not support keeper idea but will still return

Still waiting to hear from DarkHorse, Castor and chrisjent.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I was holding off posting because I had not made a decision, but I have gotten some new work related responsibilities and I just don't think I am going to have time to treat the league fairly. So with that i will have to bow out. Thanks for a few years of fun.

Aww who the hell am i kidding. I'm Back

12. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

if you guys want to redraft and do keeper starting next year, i'd be happy to join you guys. i've always wanted to start up a keeper league.

let me know if i can join in through the board.

13. fadeaway

What are your thoughts on keepers?

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh yeah, sorry. I don't have a problem with it. I think 2-3 would be fine. 5 may be a little much.

15. fadeaway

Here's what chrisjent had to say:

If we go the route of keeper leagues I like the idea of reserving 4 players (assuming 12 managers, that just eliminates the best approx. 50 players from the market). If we are going to the keeper format though I also think it may be a good idea to alter rosters and catagories for more specificity (i.e. identify LF, CF, RF...and utilize stats such as holds to diversify the rosters). Keepers are geared towards increased strategy, planning for the future and rewarding returning managers...I think its a matter of whether the returning managers have a desire to increase their participation to that level.

Rook: coming back, supports keeper idea
    LHFan: coming back, supports keeper idea dependinig on how many are kept
    Sam: coming back, supports keeper idea, but only if 1-2 are kept
    Smeg: coming back, supports keeper idea
    PSJ: coming back, supports keeper idea; wants 5 players kept
    Castor: coming back, supports keeper idea; wants 2-3 players kept
    chrisjent: coming back, supports keeper idea; wants 4 players kept

BobFinn: coming back, does not support keeper idea but will still return

Only waiting on Darkhorse now.

16. fadeaway

airbullard -- you can be #1 on the waiting list if anyone drops out. Or, if someone else comes along who wants in and won't punk out, we can expand to 12 teams.

It's fantasy points head to head. We use fanstar. Here is the league site: http://www.fantasybaseballsite.com/baseball/clutchcity/

17. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

i'll be waiting to see if there's a spot. email through the board. thanks

18. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

any open spots for me?

19. fadeaway

Has anyone seen any trace of DarkHorse lately? I still need to hear from him. If you see him around, please let him know.

20. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Hey fade, sorry I haven't checked this forum in a while.

I definitely like the keeper idea. I guess you can count me in.