1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fade's Fanstar Fantasy Baseball Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by SamCassell, Mar 10, 2010.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Juan Pierre (OF) and Elvis Andrus (SS).

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Leo Nunez (RP)

3. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LH took Ludwick

I took De La Rosa

PSJ is up

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

porcello

jent for 2

5. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

A. Ramirez (SS) and M. Gonzalez (RP).

6. SmeggySmeg

Desmond, Ian

7. SmeggySmeg

list sent for last pick to the commish

8. SamCassell

DH didn't take anyone.

PSJ and Rook and LH took some dudes.

I took some scrub.

Fade on the clock.

9. fadeaway

Erik Bedard (SP) and Jon Rauch (RP).

10. SamCassell

Took some rookie scrub.

Fade, thanks for taking Bedard. He'd been on my radar for awhile but I just hated the idea of tying down an IR spot for 2 months for a guy. He's your new Harden / Prior.

11. fadeaway

For a while there I was getting worried that I would have to field a fully healthy team.

12. Rocketball

Supporting Member

I took K. Blanks..........

13. Rocketball

Supporting Member

My draft is over and love my team.............no reason why with this strong squad I should not finish in the top 8!!!!

14. SmeggySmeg

molina for me, let the pain begin

15. SmeggySmeg

i guess all the buzz, chat, heckling, anger, time expiring and hype is over now till next years draft

if one of you top tierers has the time, cricket boy would love to get some commentary, feedback, heckling on how crap his team and picks is and were.

if not, the first pick in next years draft is avalaible via trade, cocaine use a desirable criteria in the player in return

16. fadeaway

Smeg, don't forget we start 5 OF now.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, UI, 5 OF, up to 7 pitchers (SP max: 185, RP max: 150)

17. fadeaway

Analysis for Smeg (because I care):

The Aliens -- Nothing really stands out about this team. However, like always, I'm sure Sam will find a way to be competitive and prove me wrong. Grade: C

Jent -- A decent team, but nothing to get too excited over. Grade: B-

Rook -- Tremendous squad. The only real weakness I can see is at RP2 and possibly second base. Should do well. Grade: A

DarkHorse -- For all the time expirations, I thought DH had a terrific draft. Decent team all around, although I don't like Posada much at all as a starting catcher. SP depth is also just a wee bit thin. I don't know what's up with all the RPs. Trade bait, perhaps? Grade: B

Expos -- I won't give myself a grade, but I will say that I feel happier about this team than I have the past few years. I wouldn't change anything about my draft, although I do wish that Markakis had fallen to me instead of Ichiro.

PSJ -- Incredible pitching, powerful outfield, and paper thin infield. Definitely the most difficult team to forecast. I'll go out on a limb and say PSJ does well and makes the playoffs. Grade: B+

Longhorn -- A top-heavy team. After you get past the big guns (Pujols, Morneau & Halladay) I'm not fussy. Grade: C+

Smeg -- Has some nice outfielders and a few good pitchers, but relatively weak in other areas. Grade: C

18. SamCassell

All your analysis has shown me, fade, is you don't understand your own league. Why is it that I keep winning (3 out of 4 years) if my team always sucks? :p

Here's my contribution. In baseball, I value offensive consistency, starting pitching depth, and relief pitching opportunities.

Jent - Best pick: Haren in the first. A no-brainer, but it has to be said. A young stud pitcher who should make your keeper roster for years to come. Worst pick: Zobrist in the third. I don't think there's any way he repeats his 2009 numbers, which he'd have to do to justify picking him this high. Overall: projected 22 - 23, an improved roster but no playoffs.

Smeg - Best pick: Aardsma in the 11th. Nice young closer, late in the draft. Maybe more importantly, Seattle should be a good team this year and give him plenty of save opportunities. Worst pick: McCutchen in the 4th. He could be very good, but his minor league numbers indicate that he might not reproduce his power numbers this year. He's as likely to fall back a little this year as he is to stay the same or improve. And the Pirates' weak lineup will hold down his runs scored. Overall: projected 23 - 22. Again, an improved lineup, and I liked your draft, but I think you will just miss the postseason.

Darkhorse - Best pick: Webb in the 6th was a great pick, just for the chance to pick up a Cy Young type that late (effectively the 12th round in a 6 man keeper league). Worst pick: I couldn't decide which I liked less, Wandy in the 4th or Delgado in the 17th. I think Wandy's topped out in Ks and could regress, and the Stros aren't going to be good this year. I think he's due for a downturn. But Delgado? He's done, gone, finito. I know it's the 17th, but even then there was talent to find. Delgado may or may not even play in 2010, but it won't be in the first half of the season. Overall: 19 - 26. Not excited about this team, honestly. Rooting for Webb though.

PhiSlammaJamma - Best pick: Bell in the 5th. Good job locking up the best available closers early. I like that strategy in a league like ours. Makes a big difference come playoff time. Worst pick: Jake Peavy in the 2nd. I don't like Peavy moving out of Petco and I don't like him in the AL. I think there will be difficult transition for the guy, even if he's 100% healthy. A reach this early. Overall: 17 - 28. Lots of pitching, bad offense. No reason for this many holes in a league as shallow as we have.

Rook - Best pick: Wagner in the 12th. A closer for a pretty good team who can throw gas and has something to prove. High reward, little risk this late. Worst pick: Wieters in the third. Wieters did nothing this last year to warrant such a high pick, so it's obviously the expectations that have him there. I've seen too many excellent catching prospects come up and fail to think that this guy is anything close to a sure thing. Could become a keeper, but could end up on the waiver wire by season's end. Overall: 26 – 19. Best in the West Division, #1 seed in the playoffs. Started with a great keeper roster, which is the basis for a good season. A strong talent base is the key to remaining competitive year after year.

LonghornFanBest pick: Happ in the 17th. A young, talented pitcher with keeper potential in the 17th round of the draft? How can you go wrong? Worst pick: Big Papi in the 13th. I think the handwriting is on the wall, and he’s done for fantasy purposes. The current version of Ortiz is healthy but no longer worth a roster spot. I don’t think big guys age particularly well in baseball terms and I don’t think this one can return to form without the roids. Overall: 25 – 20, Best in the East, playoffs. I think LH might have more top-end keeper talent than anyone, Rook included. Add a very solid draft and you’ve got a good team now and for years to come.

MeBest pick: I was very pleased to see Lilly, my second-best starter in 2009, fall to me in the 15th round. The surgery he had was just arthroscopic but it must have lowered his draft stock a lot. I think he’ll be fine by late April, May at the worst, and he’ll go back to being a 19 ppg pitcher. Worst pick: I think I reached for another Cubbie in the fourth round when I picked Ramirez. He’s great – when he’s healthy – but I can forsee injury concerns all year long. I got virtually the same production, more reliability and more versatility in Figgins a couple rounds later. Overall: 24 – 21, wild card. I think I put together well-rounded squad along the blueprint I’ve found works. Should have the depth to get through the season and the production to compete if I make the playoffs, where it’s a different ballgame.

FadeawayBest pick: Gallardo in the second round. Really like this kid. He’s gonna be a stud and should have the innings-cap removed this year. The Brewers should be able to get him some wins. And imagine the production in a few years when he leaves for the Yankees or Red Sox! Worst pick: Ichiro in the fourth. Last year was anomalous in his career in terms of power numbers. I don’t expect him to repeat that. Meanwhile, you’ve got a 36-year-old outfielder who relies on his speed with nowhere to go but down. I’d expect a return to 2008 numbers. Lots more bats with the same productivity but more potential were available that early. Overall: 24 – 21, wild card. Another team with a very strong keeper squad, a good mix of pitching and hitting, and no glaring weaknesses.

2 people like this.
  19. fadeaway

Good job Sam... Much better analysis than my half-assed attempt.

20. SmeggySmeg

my analysis is I hope Sam predictions are better than Fades :eek: :grin: