1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fact Bomb] Electoral College: Invented to Protect Slavery, Is Stupid, Is Broadly Opposed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If the electoral college were retained, what ipaman suggests would be a more democrat (small "d") way of electing a president. That a candidate can garner 3,000,000 more votes than his or her opponent and lose (which is what happened in 2016) is an inexcusable absurdity that makes a mockery of the concept of democracy and the legitimacy of our presidential elections. That is what the EC has produced, and it is NOT an opinion. It is a fact.

The electoral college should abolished.

#101 Deckard, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am not against a Democrat voting. Never once was that established nor did I say it. No one is stopping them from voting if they have citizenship. Why are you so against proving who you are in order to eliminate fraud. Tell us why you are pro voter fraud? You're in support of people who come to the USA illegally and then you get pissy when people complain about the ones who kill people. Then you defend voter fraud. You are a piece of work.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify . I think the current question is how to amend the EC so that it retains the balancing effects of rural vs urban, small vs. big, majority vs. minority interest, while moving closer to a genuinely egalitarian weighting of votes. Simply "abolishing" the EC might lead as some have argued to even worse, unintended consequences.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's review the facts.

1. There is no voter fraud.
    2. Vote ID laws would help Republicans win by lowering Dem turnout
    3. Voter purges help Republicans win by lowering Dem turnout
    4. There is no voter fraud
    5. There is no voter fraud
    6. There is no voter fraud

So I ask you again, why are you trying to stop Dems from voting? You should move to Russia.

No Worries likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What ipaman suggested is better than doing nothing. Simply doing away with the archaic EC makes far more sense.

Tell me - are you happy with the result in 2016, when the candidate who had 3,000,000 more votes than her opponent still "won" the election. Are you?

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Exactly what I have been suggesting, as supported by the imbalance of electoral votes to population in states.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'll respond indirectly and then directly. I am concerned about urban populations overwhelming the interests of rural populations. I live in a state that is 100% dominated by a HUGE urban population downstate--and if is as if upstate does not exist.

I believe that the United States is in a similar predicament. You have 10 or so states whose urban populations would DWARF the vote of 40 other states, rendering those 40 states helpless in the face of increasing urbanization.

So I am in favor of continuing to protect minority interests which, paradoxically, may mean supporting a system whereby a majority vote loses because we are trying to protect minority interests.

I am not in favor of total 100% abolition of the EC because of a growing concern that it truly would eliminate the two party system, and lead to a situation where the current slate of Democratic candidates for President would constitute the ACTUAL slate of candidates in some future general election. You want chaos? Just wait until you have a "winning" Republican candidate for President with 4% of the vote total of the entire popular vote.

Now directly on the question am I "happy with the result in 2016." Seeing as how I didn't vote for either Clinton or Trump, and I think they are both morons, no. And yet at the same time I RESPECT the result of a fairly contested election and the democratically sanctioned process whereby that election was decided. This is the point I take it of "loyal opposition." Even if you lose, you stay loyal.

I see that oath of loyalty having been violated by anti-Obamaians during Obama's administration, and now I see it being violated by anti-Trumpians now. In all honesty I am far less happy with the disloyal opposition to Trump than I am with as you put it "the result in 2016."

hope this helps.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Are you paid by the DNC to lie around the Internet? Here ya go.

About voters who aren't citizens:

Oh and Busing people around for fraud:

This is the tip of the ice berg. Go read the news outside of you echo chamber.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

https://www.apnews.com/e959bf0789a94456918a93d43542505b

@dachuda86 , this why you need to stop reading FoxNews mate, it's polluting your brain.

No Worries likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

11. NewRoxFan

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Gerrymandering is anti-democratic and just goes to show how the Republican party represents an increasingly apartheid like party built on racial politics.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

may ... that is hedging language if I ever saw it. From both articles. So let's hear it from a real person instead of mays and maybes shall we. There are videos straight from the horse's mouth with the Democratic side ADMITTING to this stuff. Don't act like it doesn't happen. Little good would an ID law help if they are letting non-citizens vote anyway. Much stricter registration rules are needed and oversight.

#114 dachuda86, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Again you post things from questionable sources but snoopes all did an article questioning the veracity of the claim. The claim of 95K non-citizens is highly dubious and is clearly politically motivated. Many of those "non-citizens" are now citizens by the way - they looked at the data at the time they applied for their drivers license - not what their status was when they voted many years later. Basically if you got a green card, got a drivers license, and then 5 year late became a citizen and registered to vote, you'd be one of the 95K.

So you are now pushing lies and half-truths to support your narrative. And you are wasting people's time with this nonsense. Why don't you learn the truth first and then post. why not question what you think and do the research and make sure you crazy claims are actually at least mostly true?

No Worries likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Snopes is a politically connected organization. They are not professional or without bias. They heavily fight for leftist causes. Get YOUR sources straight before you bash mine. Also just because some of the 95k found were citizens doesn't mean all by any means.

Of all the posters to be complaining about trust, the biggest liar in the DD has the audacity to make that claim lol. OK Sweets, good luck with that. I really can't take you seriously. You do give me laughs though, so I should thank you. I haven't heard you use the race card lately though, so I guess there is that. I commend you for actually trying something different.

18. NewRoxFan

14 removed. 14.
    https://m.sacurrent.com/the-daily/a...xas-voters-dropped-from-the-rolls-as-part-of-

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Snopes is the least politically biased source people use on here:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/snopes/