1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facing deportation, Texan at Harvard draws support

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 16, 2010.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

No, but its not hard to understand that if your status in a country is illegal, that things might not go your way eventually.

I'm not saying he should be deported, but I'm not outraged or even surprised that he's encountering difficulties, and I don't know how anyone else could be either. Is it a drag of a situation? Sure. Should there be a path to citizenship through college or military service? Maybe so. Is it wrong for the US to enforce it's laws as they stand? I don't see how. Should an exception be made in this case where all the details seem almost tailor made toward sympathy for the kid? Probably not, in my eyes, but perhaps it will shine a light on his cause of the Dream act and even buy time for him and others until some sort of actual compromise and legislation can address some of these issues.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't quite understand this case. Why can't Harvard get this guy a student visa or if he is working as an RA or TA a green card?

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's what this DREAM Act is supposed to do. And, this kid does seem like a poster-child for the bill. We have a population of illegal immigrant children that are illegals through no action of their own. It isn't reasonable to think 18-year olds are going to up and leave the country when they become responsible for themselves when the US is the only place they've known. And, kids like this one that can get to Harvard are just the sort of people the immigration office lets in. So, it makes sense to have a law that addresses this population that is American in everything but name, needs to be documented somehow and are desirable to have as citizens.

As for the student visa, I think he'd have to go down to the border to apply (my sister-in-law had to), and then there might be complications because he was here illegally. I'm guessing he figured he was less likely to be hassled by DHS if he laid low than if he tried to apply as an illegal. Maybe not the best, most mature course.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think his schooling has anything to do with it. It's either illegal or it isn't. I'm not comfortable saying "I'm against illegal immigration, but since this kid is in Harvard he can stay, but the poor sap who stands at Home Depot should get the hell out."

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

We have laws and if this is a case where there is no legal recourse I would say we should uphold the law and deport him. That said the immigration laws are clearly out of step with the practical reality, like Prohibition, and in a situation like that we should change the laws.
    I totally agree we should look at fixing the law as a whole than just individual cases.

Clearly Reagan's amnesty program didn't address underlying issues which is why I would say we need a more profound reform. In the case of immigration consider it like the 55 MPH speed limit. It was a law that was being completely flaunted to the point that most states and the Fed realized that it was almost meaningless and so it has been dropped by most states with out penalty from the Fed..

As far as your comment regarding if you break the law long enough you will get away with it well we do have a statute of limitations for many of our laws.

I agree we should have uniform laws.

I would provided they hadn't committed any misdemeanor or felony crimes in the time. I would even be fore reducing that number to 10 years.

6. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

you must have some problems in the brain area

7. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

This is not my area of expertise, but I believe that if you are in the country illegally, you are no eligible for a visa or green card. I think you must leave first and have a legal entry into the country.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I hate people that act like the law was created by god when years back a black man was considered property. :mad:

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. Better to be left to our own devices. Human history is so nice and cuddly.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

How long would he have to leave the country? Could Harvard just send him to Mexico for a week and then bring him back on a visa?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On whose dime?

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Harvard's they have a huge endowment and seem to have no problem paying for him to go to school there. They could send him down there to do a research project and/or I'm sure they have some relationship with a university in Mexico.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Regarding those big brains who say "the law is the law; nuf said", fortunately the law and in this case immigration law has all sorts of waivers and leaves many decisions to the discretion of judges and juries. Often times the law has some built in mercy.

This kid can apply for suspension of deportation since he has been here so long. Amost Undoubtedly it will be granted from the facts we have here. In the county for more than 10 years; substantial ties; good moral character (sorry anti-immigration freaks) etc. Once he is granted the suspension of deportation he will eventually become a resident and a citizen if he is not too soured by the whole ordeal. Again sorry anti-immigrant freaks you need to get with your local conservative congressman to try to change the law.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's not that cut and dried, glynch. I "allegedly" know a young woman who's mother was born in Mexico, is married to an American, and is legal. The mother also has a son who was born here and is an American citizen. The woman's first husband, the father of the older daughter, was a Mexican citizen. While on a visit to Mexico, the mother had the daughter, but the daughter has spent essentially her entire life in the United States, from her earliest memory, is in her early 20's, having just finished college, and is having one hell of a time staying in this country. That is absurd. I wouldn't assume this kid at Harvard will end up staying. I hope he can.

15. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

We have agencies so that each case can be looked at appropriately. I hope they look into the facts and realize kicking these immigrants out of the country isn't going to make the situation better. Some of these kids don't have family in their respective native countries, they have no where to go, how is it right to just send them away because they moved here months after birth?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Too bad that the law and the states are all over the map on the subject.

17. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I don't think a student visa will fly here.

The student visa is granted to those who have the intention to temporarily stay in the united states in order to go to school. In fact, they conduct interviews to make sure of this. In this case, it is obvious that this person's intention is to stay in the united states permanently.. even after the student visa expires. An immigration officer can reasonably make this determination based on this person's history and reject the student visa.

1 person likes this.
  18. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

Until he receives permission to enter the country legally, which means he may never return and definitely would not be there for Fall session.

I feel sorry for him. His parents put him in an awkward situation. He is obviously very smart, but he does not have the common sense that comes with age to have done a better job of flying under the radar.

19. insane man

insane man Member

why?

i want my alma matres to be superb educational institutions that have diverse student bodies. this actually necessarily requires diversity of citizenship. and given we have at least ten million undocumented workers in the country, i'd hope at least 3% of the student bodies are undocumented. they are underrepresented and bring a very critical voice to the classroom. they also need more financial help to be able to attend institutions.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I would get a lawyer and find out how to become a resident or get a visa. I wouldn't whine in the press about it and I wouldn't be surprised if I were deported.