1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facing deportation, Texan at Harvard draws support

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 16, 2010.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

a few days old news, although i'm against illegal immigration, but this one is hard to deport. Kudo to him for his education accomplishment, but i rather they give out scholarships to legal immigrants and US citizens only.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/side/7048951.html

BOSTON — An undocumented Harvard University student is facing deportation to Mexico after being detained by immigration authorities at a Texas airport, the student said on Friday.

Eric Balderas, 19, who just completed his first year at Harvard, said he was detained Monday by immigration authorities when he tried to board a plane from his hometown of San Antonio to Boston using a consulate card from Mexico and his student ID.

“I'd made it through before so I thought this time wouldn't be any different,” Balderas said Friday in a phone interview with The Associated Press. “But once ICE picked me up I really didn't know what to think and I was starting to break down.”

Balderas, who previously had used a Mexican passport to board planes but recently lost it, said he became despondent and thought he was being deported to Mexico immediately, only to be released the next day. He said he has a scheduled July 6 immigration hearing.

“All I can think about was my family,” said Balderas, who doesn't remember living in Mexico.

A U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman, Mark Medvesky, confirmed that Balderas was released and said his hearing will likely be in Boston.

Harvard officials immediately threw support behind Balderas.

“Eric Balderas has already demonstrated the discipline and work ethic required for rigorous university work, and has, like so many of our undergraduates, expressed an interest in making a difference in the world,” said Christine Heenan, Harvard's vice president of public affairs and communications.

Test case for DREAM legislation

The case also sparked a buzz on social media sites and among student immigrant activists who see the Balderas situation as the ideal test case to push the proposed DREAM act — a federal bill that would allow illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship via college enrollment or military service.

Mario Rodas, who was an undocumented student in Chelsea, a small city near Boston, until Sen. John Kerry and the late Sen. Edward Kennedy came to his aid, launched a Facebook page Friday highlighting the Balderas case. “He's an excellent student and an example of someone this country needs,” said Rodas.

The page said Balderas was brought to the U.S. from Mexico by his family at age 4, escaping a domestic violence situation.

A feature in the San Antonio Express-News last year said the graduate of Highlands High School in San Antonio was accepted into several small liberal arts colleges but chose to attend Harvard, where he has a full scholarship.

Balderas said he is studying molecular and cellular biology at Harvard and hopes to become a cancer researcher. He said he qualified for Harvard's privately-funded scholarship package.

“I'm a private person so this is a change for me,” he said.

In March, Balderas was one of hundreds of undocumented students to publicly announce his immigration status during a nationally organized “coming out” day for illegal immigrants.

Balderas also has been an active member of student immigrant groups around Boston that have staged protests and sit-ins in an effort to get Sen. Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts, to support the DREAM Act.

Brown has not said whether he supports the proposal, also called the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act. The bill is sponsored by Indiana Republican Sen. Richard Lugar and Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin, of Illinois.

In April, Lugar and Durbin sent a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, asking her to halt deportations of immigrant students who could earn legal status under the act.

A number of college presidents have supported the legislation, including Harvard President Drew Faust, who sent a letter to Kerry and Kennedy urging them to pass it.

Kyle de Beausset, a Boston-based student activist and a friend of Balderas, said student activists are ready to rally behind him.

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Ah chron.com commenters... where would our society be without them?

"Expell the illegal immigrant from Harvard and deport him." -- sangellone

"Would you like some cheese with your whine you illegal usurper?????" -- StevieWashingtonTheAngryYouth

"BHO and the liberal media are softening people up so that when BHO proposes amnesty people will think of stories like this and be compassionate. Bottom line, illegal is illegal and he needs to be deported." -- 41magisfine

"What an idiot. He expected to go from Mexico to the U.S. on a plane without a passport and he was surprised he was caught. They say this is an ideal example for the Dream Act. What this really is, is an excellent example of illegal immigrants taking over this country and liberal politicians siding with them over real Americans." -- ArmyStrong86

These people are such winners!

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Hey, a subsequent blog post with more moths being attracted to the flame: http://blogs.chron.com/immigration/archives/2010/06/immigration_off.html

"Harvard should be ashamed of its self for admitting illegal aliens. Sounds like Harvard is aiding and abetting to me..." -- NoWay

"send him back to Mexico or wherever he came from. Make sure to get the rest of his group too." -- jwyoming

"It would not surprise me if he has committed other crimes while here. ... We do not need criminals like him in the USA illegally." -- doogcat

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Harvard is wiling to give the kid a chance and a break, and are proud to have him as a student, that's good enough for me. They can afford him, after all.

#4 Deckard, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There are such things as student visas. Why can't he spend his summers in his own country until he applies for legal residency like everyone else that comes here legally?

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

First they take all the low paying job, now they take over highly prestigious spot that could be taken by an American, how dare they.

I am kidding, he should be able to just get a student visa. Those don't seem to be too hard to get. I think 95% of my classmates have them.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because he grew up in this country, his life, his friends, everything he has ever known is the U.S.

This is his country. Should he be forced to go to some place completely foreign to him? Did he commit any crime or break and law? No. It was his parents.

Let the kid stay.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Man it's not enough that for Asians and Jews to take the Ivy League spots from deserving White Christians? :rolleyes: What will White Christians have to do?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6iQ7ZDUutU4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6iQ7ZDUutU4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

#8 Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, considering he's been living in the US for 15 out of his 19 years, maybe he doesn't have any actual place to go in Mexico. He may be Mexican but for him, Mexico is not home. San Antonio is.

10. CometsWin

This isn't France. We're a nation of laws. He's an adult and he's breaking the law by being here. If he were six years old I'd blame his parents. He's a grown man with the full knowledge that he's here illegally.

What about his ability to sneak into the country illegally without being caught makes him more worthy of being a resident here than any other person anywhere in the world who'd like to live here?

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So, a kid who's brought to the country as an infant should stand up and move back to Mexico as soon as he reaches adulthood?

12. CometsWin

A problem he wouldn't have if he hadn't broken the law and come to this country illegally. I don't think it's our responsibility to find people homes before we deport them for coming here illegally.

13. CometsWin

He should be deported as soon as he's found to be illegal. The Mexican government can find his relatives or take care of him if they want. You keep being an apologist and an enabler of illegal immigration and they'll just continue trying to sneak in. We're not a nanny state for actual Americans, why should we be one for non-Americans?

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The comments TSchmal posted are ridiculous. Freaking tards.

15. conquistador#11

Those people commenting on the chronicle article should not be allowed to own a computer. Just pure stupidity.

16. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I don't agree with those comments, but it's freedom of speech.

17. Steve_Francis_rules

So if you found out tomorrow that your parents actually came to this country illegally when you were a baby, you would voluntarily drop your entire life and move to the country of your birth?

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So his main crime was being born to parents who broke the law?

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. I never want hear a another negative thing about 'affirmative action'.
    2. If you break the law long enough . . . . it becomes ok? right?
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wedding_chapel_fugitive - I think this guy would agree. Just let him go too.

QUESTION: Do we have LAWS or do we have SUGGESTIONS?

I think we get so involved in these individual cases . . . don't seem like we looking to fix the laws.

QUESTION: How do we 'Fix' The laws? Or is it a case by case bases??? We like this illegal so he stays but we don't like that one so they have to go back?

I think Reagan tried Amesty. How did that turn out? If it worked why do we still have so many illegals? IF we do Amesty again . . does it encourage illegality with the ideal that . . . if you break the law long enough you will get away with it?

At this point . . .. I tire of discussing individual cases.
    The question is. . . WHAT IS THE FIX? What is the remedy to this issue?
    One that will fix it for all involved. I hate the idea of 'individual basis' because then all the ISMs get involved.

We like Mexicans but not Haitians
    all of euro is ok but Salvadorians are not
    only the young . . only the educated . . only those that are left handed. . .
    blah blah blah

QUESTION: Would you be ok with a rule that . . if you live here for 14 uninterrupted years you automatically become a citizen?

Rocket River

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are also a nation of morals and justice. Justice for all. And has Horace would say, "Laws without morals are in vain".

He didn't sneak into this country illegally. He is not more or less worthy of any other legal immigrant. He did not come here by choice, nor did he choose to be an American by choice. He embraced American culture because that is the only culture he knew.

It would indeed be cruel and unusual to send someone who had committed no crime to a foreign country where his friends, family, and self-identity were left behind.

You can say laws are absolute. But they are not. They are indeed open to interpretation and that's why we have judges throughout the lower court system. Any given judge may apply the law somewhat differently.

A man who is speeding to get to the hospital may have broken the law, but rarely is he given a ticket.

Laws are not absolute.