1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FA Tampering] Chris Myers update

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Feb 27, 2012.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Just heard on 790 that tampering charges are potentially going to be filed against the Packers for tampering with Chris Myers. Also against the Chiefs for Peyton Manning, but Myers is the relevant one here.

I hope this doesn't mean we are going to lose him for sure.

2. DieHard Rocket

Why would we lose him if the Packers tampered with him?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I was hoping he had no interest to leave at all. I'm just hoping this doesn't mean he wants out.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Well, if the Packers called him unsolicited, I don't see how that would be his fault. However, I'm sure he's going to take bids at least. This is his opportunity to get paid.....I wouldn't blame him one bit for at least taking a look around. I do believe that Houston is the best situation for him though. He has grown from being a below-average Center, to being one of the very best in the league under the watch of Kubiak and Co. This is where he should stay.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I've always thought the tampering rules were kind of pointless/dumb.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

Can't afford to lose him.

7. conquistador#11

you know you're blowing up when you have teams all over the league wanting your players.

The commissar should make the packers surrender their 2nd round pick for tampering!

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can't keep everyone! Myers, Foster, Williams, Brisiel, Dreessen, Brown(1 yr left), Schaub(1 yr left), Barwin(1 yr left).

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I don't worry so much about the guys next season since the salary cap should go up dramatically then (new TV deals). But if we could only choose 2 of the 3 major FAs in Mario, Arian and Myers, I'd take Arian and Myers and let Mario walk. Consistency from year to year on the O-line is one of the biggest reasons for our offense's success, I feel. I hope he doesn't get offered the moon by some team that is really suffering for a center.

10. DieHard Rocket

True. The Steelers and Pats consistently let good players walk, and the Packers even did it last year after winning it all.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if Myers is gone. I think he'll get paid top 3 or top 5 for centers, and while he's good, he is replaceable. Much like Vonta last year.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How did the Chiefs sign the top CB already?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]...because Routt was released he was able to sign with a team before the open period for transactions[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I remember when we first acquired Myers.....for a 6th round pick....everyone here (myself included) was making fun of the move because he was just an unheralded former Bronco.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

especially how people clowned on him when Jenkins tossed him aside.

And don't forget the Wade Smith signing when most people on here thought it was a completely worthless and/or lateral move.

This regime has been exceptional at acquiring effective O-line players for minimal costs (other than D. Brown's 1st round selection but that was certainly worth it)

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Now that you mention it, I can only think of what... 2 players on offense that were either high profile free agent acquisitions or first round picks?

The defense on the other hand is stacked with 1st round picks and/or high profile free agent signings.

Man, that really raises Kubiak and Smith's value IMO.

*Shaub was a backup had for 2nd rounders, I wouldn't classify trading for him as a high profile move.

16. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

That went both ways as I recall Chiefs fans laughing about how the Texans took that "turnstile" off their hands.

17. Precision340

Precision340 Member

maybe he's the one that reported them.. Texans will sign Chris Myers.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

He wants to stay here but is a vet and knows how to game the system. He also isn't scared of burning bridges. This will be his last contract.

19. The Real Shady

This is going to be his once in a lifetime huge payday, and it's not like the Packers stink. I think he'll be down to stay as long as the Texans are willing to match it.

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member