1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

F1 Racing Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KingCheetah, Jul 5, 2020.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I admittedly was not a huge Max supporter, but I’ve found myself cheering for him and RedBull. Nice to see some shake-up at the top and Max has really grown on me. Great win in France after last week’s mishaps. And hey, we’re going to finally have an interesting season’s end. Mid pack race is also interesting...Gasly doing well, which has to be kudos for RedBull—they still own AlphaTauri, right? Renault/Alpine and Racing Point/Aston Martin have both kind of nose-dived...I suppose it’s hard when you can’t just use Mercedes old car. I like Danny but he’s been meh for McLaren; Norris seems like their stud/long-term play, unless he leaves for elsewhere.

Red Bull174
    2Mercedes148
    3Ferrari94
    4McLaren92
    5AlphaTauri39
    6Aston Martin37
    7Alpine25
    8Alfa Romeo2
    9Haas0
    10Williams

VER131
    2[​IMG]HAM119
    3[​IMG]PER84
    4[​IMG]NOR76
    5[​IMG]BOT59
    6[​IMG]LEC52
    7[​IMG]SAI42
    8[​IMG]GAS37
    9[​IMG]RIC34
    10[​IMG]VET30

#61 awc713, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Yung-T likes this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

Red Bull and Max really are going to give Lewis & Mercedes a run for their money, huh?

Mercedes finally has some competition at the top, a bit refreshing. I wonder if Bottas goes elsewhere if Max wins his first championship this year. Maybe they’ll sign Russell, especially with Mercedes inking Lewis for 2 years...

3. PhiSlammaJamma

That looked like a major incline on the track, the biggest or steepest?

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

missed the race. is ferrari ever gonna win again?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. KingCheetah

7. KingCheetah

8. KingCheetah

9. KingCheetah

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a heel turn by Hamilton this season. The man's image is very manicured when he's on top but now he's coming across as petty, clueless and dangerous when Max is giving him a run for his money.

11. KingCheetah

Interesting/ exciting race today.

I'd like to place one million dollars on Ocon to win...

Yung-T likes this.
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

Wild race in Monza…crazy crash between Max and Lewis…will be interesting to see what’s said after the race

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Is Schumacher still the GOAT or has Hamilton surpassed him in the eyes of sport?

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think most of the sport believe that Hamilton has had a relatively easy go of it with Mercedes. He'll probably make it on the F1 Mount Rushmore but he's still Lebron to Shumacher's Jordan.

If you're a fan of Top Gear, they used to have F1 guys come set lap times on their track in a Suzuki Liana (cheap little 2 door).

Hamilton was actually 2nd place to Daniel Ricciardo's time by 7 tenths of a second, and only 2 tenths ahead of Mark Webber.

Unfortunately in F1 it's very difficult to separate the driver from the constructor. As they say, the only drivers you can really compare apples-to-apples are teammates - in this case Hamilton is clearly better than Bottas. Better than Max? Maybe not.

#74 napalm06, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    awc713 and PhiSlammaJamma like this.
  15. napalm06

Both Hamilton and Verstappen are big brats. Makes for some fun watching in what's been boring races for the past few years.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bottas driving for Alfa in the mid-field and Hamilton having a new teammate for Mercedes to neuter.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Will be interesting to see, Russell is one of the best drivers in F1 and will give him a tough fight.

napalm06 likes this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think Schumacher should still be regarded higher due to building Ferrari from a team in shambles to a complete powerhouse due to his intense work with the engineers.
    Plus gave Senna a really hard time.

18. napalm06

Sure, but creampuff Hamilton already feuded with Nico Rosberg constantly before Bottas.

And stuff like this is already floating around:
    [​IMG]

I think Hamilton and Steph Curry have a lot in common. Extremely successful, extremely image-obsessed, extremely pampered, products of a historically successful system so it's impossible to separate their success from their team's efforts to make them successful.

awc713 and mtbrays like this.
  19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to COTA today for the first time. I have to say, F1 is a much better sport on television than in-person. It’s difficult to tell what’s going on during the race, views are obviously limited, and it’s difficult to hear any commentary over the loudspeakers. I don’t think I’ll go back to a race in the future.

awc713 and Yung-T like this.
  20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Went to the race Sunday. I had good seats and it was awesome in person.

I would not recommend just a general admission pass unless that is all you can afford and it's just a bucket list item.

The lines for beer were ridiculous because nobody wants to work and they are under staffed and even though I tailgated for 3 hours after it still took well over an hour to get back to central Austin because the traffic was insane.

Probably gonna get a group and do a luxury box next year.

awc713 likes this.