1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[F-ck Marriage News] Swiss Court Awards Wife $4.5 billion Settlement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, May 21, 2014.

1. supdudes

supdudes Member

My question is, does it work the other way around?

Can the father gain 50 percent when the woman earns more?

Can the father be awarded custody of the child while the mother pays child support?

2. Major

Major Member

Sure - why not? Assets are split evenly - it has nothing to do with "who earns more". And fathers get awarded custody sometimes. And sometimes its joint custody. Sometimes it's only the mother. All depends on the circumstances.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

Custody-wise women have a huge advantage. Not complaining, just saying.

Child support is necessary and should be a good thing. I just think the court should regulate how the money is spent.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

All of those thing are absolutely possible and happen quite frequently.

When I divorced, my wife (who earned quite a bit more than me by the end) owed me a LOT of money. Her retirement account, for example, was quite sizable, and she was only able to earn that because I supported her for many years while she got her career going. So regardless of gender, the money (and debt) can and very often will be spilt equitably.

Custody is a whole different issue. Yes, women very frequently get the upper hand in custody decisions. That can be for a variety of reasons...maybe because the woman did most of the initial upbringing and nuturing during early childhood, or maybe because she's the primary caregiver at the time of divorce.

What people need to remember, though, is that gaining custody doesn't mean they get to keep the kids from Dad. Often, the custodial parent will be compelled to share time with the other parent (at a close to 50/50 split), and the non-custodial parent gets to attend any school functions, after-school clubs, etc. Very often, "right of first refusal" is included in the custody agreement, meaning if the kid's not in school and not with Mom, then Dad gets 'em. When it comes to custody, the court doesn't generally care about what's "fair": they care about what's best for the kids. And that's usually equal (or close to equal) time with both parents.

5. Major

Major Member

They don't have an "advantage". They just tend to be the more involved parent and are more often the one better suited for caring for a child.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

The court should regulate how monies from child support are spent.

7. white lightning

Courts often can't enforce payment of child support as it is. I don't think they will be capable of following how the money is spent.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I am a firefighter. It is freaking fantastic...