1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[F-ck Marriage News] Swiss Court Awards Wife $4.5 billion Settlement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, May 21, 2014.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Yo bro, have you ever raised a kid? I don't know if she had a nanny or whatever, but trust me, raising a child is a LOT harder than working outside.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Why is that?

3. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

1) You said that as if the father did NOTHING to help raise the child.. not even talking about money right now. You think he just goes home and ignores his children everyday. Okay.

2) He's not just working outside, he's making billions outside. You don't really believe it's easier to raise kids than make billions. Probably even easier with the peace of mind of knowing your spouse is making a killing.

Taking care of the house isn't easy, but compared to making millions.. it's VERY EASY.

4. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Member

If they made the money together, she definitely deserves half. Most of the time it's not about billionaires. Without this law, a lot of women (who have never worked a paying job in their lives) would otherwise have absolutely nothing following a divorce. To say only the husband earned it is pretty ridiculous. It's a marriage & they earned it together. For many women even after getting half it is still pretty hard, since many of them will now need to find a job without any prior experience. Unless you happen to be a billionaire I guess.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Let's clear up some words here.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Earning millions/a billion dollars is more unlikely, harder to accomplish, etc. but it is not necessarily "harder" work.

The person who works three hourly jobs doing physical labor workers harder than Warren Buffet. I don't know what this guy did to earn his billion, but I can promise you that raising a child is every bit as exhausting, if not more so. It's just more common.

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

There are quite a few people in this thread who should not get married. Not unless they have a massive change of heart on things like money, possessions, etc. Marriage isn't for everyone, and that's fine. Selfishness and marriage do not mix well. And I say that as someone who is unmarried.

One of the biggest reasons why many successful people were able to achieve their success is because they had the support of a loving partner (spouse or GF/BF) and to a lesser extent the support of good friends and family. That support is invaluable when things get a bit rough. Little things like the wife making the business guests (and their significant others) feel comfortable via small talk, humor, drinks etc. can make a difference in the long run.

Also, this statement by BetterThanI is very true...

7. bongman

bongman Member

A hypothetical question to Yung-T.

We enter an agreement where we would both put $100 each to gamble in Las Vegas so collectively our capital is twice the amount. We also decided that I will be playing since I have more experience. After a whole night of me gambling and you sleeping, I end up with $1000. How much should I give you since I did all the work?

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If you can't have one, just move on to the other.

[​IMG]

9. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

However you put it, making big money is harder, a better feat, more impressive, more uncommon, and deserves more props. If they're able to execute without it being "exhausting", then it's all the more impressive. No matter how you slice it, it's much easier to be a housewife than a millionaire. I bet 90% of working women (unless they're so much in love) would quit their job immediately, become a housewife, have babies, and raise someone else's kids in a heartbeat. Hell, I bet many dudes would do it too minus the having babies.

Also keep in mind the bread winner isn't just going home and ignoring the kids. They're raising the kids too.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Only a man who's never raised kids would think that 90% of anybody would give up their jobs to raise someone else's kids in a heartbeat.

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Completely disagree. Even cleaning house, cooking, and raising children is nowhere near as hard as working. The higher you rise in a company the more stress, office politics, evaluations, goals, etc.

Go tell a salesperson whose livelihood depends on making sales, or a police officer whose life is constantly on the line, or even an executive who has to make huge decisions that could make of break his career/presentations in front of board members if that's easier than raising kids.

I have a two and three year old and spend all weekend by myself raising them. That means three meals a day, plus cleaning, plus reading to them, games, baths, etc. I'm sorry there is no comparison. Kids can be stressful but only if you make it so. Take them to the park and push them on the swings, put together a puzzle, etc. Kids are easy if you're organized and their not newborns who need constant attention.

I would gladly stay home if I was independently wealthy. Playdoh and flying kites with my kids or budget presentations in front of the board.

Yeah real tough to figure out which is worse.:rolleyes:

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . how much is a kid worth? An Heir?
    How much is raising them worth?

My question is . . . HOW MUCH DO YOU *THINK* She should have gotten? or is entitled too?

Rocket River

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

They made the money together. She deserves every penny.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Your job can be stressful only If you make it so...

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I knew someone would post that...

Yeah go tell your local police officer or firefighter that they should be able to control how stressful their job is.:rolleyes:

16. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

Someone else's kids was just an added bonus for you. That does make it harder. I've asked 5 random women since posting plus my cousin who makes 100k a year and they all said they wouldn't. But their reason is they believe it couldn't happen without a prenup and dude's kids might be BeBe's. They only said no because they didn't believe it was possible. LOL. I tried to tell them it was real, but they wouldn't listen. That's what happens when people don't cooperate with a simple question.

They'd all do it if they believed. LOL

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

From some of the arguments presented.... Would those in favor of a woman being compensated for a man failing at the commitment be all right with a woman who files for divorce not getting a dime...?

Isn't the fact that she's the one filing for divorce indicative of HER lack of commitment...? Why should she then be rewarded for quitting...?

Let's say there is no history of domestic abuse, or verbal abuse, or more than one affair in the history of their relationship (if you're forgiving), or none at all (if you're intolerant of this like I am).... Yet the woman is the one to file for divorce, simply based on constant arguments over money, personal directions in life that are no longer compatible, or insufficient time together....

This kind of woman, based on some of the "emotional commitment" arguments in this thread, would be the one actually quitting, no...? So, then... she shouldn't get a dime... right...? Since when do quitters get compensated for quitting...?

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Whats with the eye rolls? It adds a condescending tone to otherwise pretty well laid out post. does your wife work on the weekends? Also im surprised they eat only 3 times a day. My kid eats about 5 or 6 meals a day. Not sure which way is more prevalent

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't know if this is sexist or you just don't work with any women. There's an intrinsic desire to be productive and assume a certain station in society or an organization that drives almost everyone to work.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Wife and I are separated divorce to be final next month. I have them on the weekends just myself.

Three formal meals, obviously there is snacks and whatnot but I endeavor to try and "cook" three meals a day for them.

*sigh* not trying to be condescending but after years of arguments and having to clean up the house myself after working all day I have a sore spot for those stay at home moms who act as though it's some miserably difficult lifestyle.

1 person likes this.