1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FúTBOL] World Cup Qualifiers: USA vs. GUA, MEX vs. HON, CAN vs. JAM

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Nov 19, 2008.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Heads up. Reminder to set your MediaCenters/DVRs/VCRs/BETAMAXes tonight. :cool:

U.S. vs. Guatemala
    Live on ESPN Classic and Galavision
    11/19/2008 7:00 p.m.

U.S. will definitely sit many players as they're already through with one game left in this stage, so look for Guatemala to try to spoil Trinidad's chances. As a warm-up treat, watch the U.S. u-20 women play France at 5 on Galavision and stay for the Men's game.

MEX vs. HON
    Live on Telemundo
    11/19/2008 7:00 p.m.

Mexico bring experienced players after a disappointing loss to Jamaica and a tie to Canada, and Honduras' San Pedro Sula Stadium will be a hostile environment. It should be an entertaining game. Mexico need only ONE POINT to advance, and with that Honduras will also qualify with a little help from Canada.

Commentary: :( .

In other games, Canada play Jamaica for a thriller group stage-defining match, and El Salvador play Costa Rica in a meaningless game, as both qualified in their own group.

Also, see other Matches and qualifying situations in CONCACAF

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thank you Amigo, I forgot about this.

It is nice to have some futbol fans here on ClutchFans.

DD

3. SwoLy-D

:mad:

;)

EDIT:
    MEXICO Roster as called up by Sven Goran Eriksson by POSITION (my picks to start in BOLD):
    rocketeer, what do you think of that lineup? I don't like Carlos Ochoa replacing ANYONE. What happened to Blanco...? Nery Castillo spoke out about lettin' the experienced players come in to play if called-up players ask Eriksson. Blanco should be there.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION for all you estadounidenses
    GOALKEEPERS (3) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Matt Pickens (out of contract)
    DEFENDERS (6) : Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Cory Gibbs (Colorado Rapids), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution)
    MIDFIELDERS (5) : Freddy Adu (AS Monaco), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), John Thorrington (Chicago Fire)
    FORWARDS (6) : Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Davy Arnaud (Kansas City Wizards), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire)

#3 SwoLy-D, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Blanco retired from international play back in September.
    http://www.soccernews.com/mexican-striker-blanco-retires-from-international-football/7239/

The US roster is about as good as can be expected for this game, the young guys will get another chance to show their value. The backline is pretty inexperienced but it will be a good test for them.

5. SwoLy-D

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Blanco looked really old for the Chicago Fire in their loss to the Columbus crew, he was gassed, and losing the ball pretty frequently.

DD

7. saviorlh

saviorlh Member

Ijole buey!....I just hope Mexico comes out with a win...going to be hard playing in that hostile environment with Honduras... but I think they can do it...si se puede! :) ha!

8. SwoLy-D

[​IMG]
    and a FAIL as a BONUS.
    :( Why are you stealing MOTTOs from Democratic Presidential candidates, sir? :mad:

;)

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I didnt see the game, because the rockets were playing at the same time, hehe.

10. Trini Rocket

Trini Rocket Member

I completely forgot about these games. USA took care of Guatemala at home (as expected). T&T won as home as well so that means we're in the Hex. :D

Too bad about Jamaica though. They took care of business but Mexico just couldn't pull it off for them. They made a good run in tough group.

11. SwoLy-D

:( Ugh. See you in the next round, folks... just... barely... in my entire life I had not seen such dismal performance. We flat out STUNK up the place. I REALLY REALLY HATE saying this, but El Salvador and Trinidad are going to kill us. Blanco, you could have made a difference... now we won't have about three or four starters whom we may have needed in the next round... Cuau, where are you...? Fire ERIKSSON. That's all.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can anyone who watched the game last night give me a good reason why Freddie Adu shouldn't start regularly for the US? Altidore as well? I liked the Altidore/Cooper combination. They played well off each other and could only get better with more time together.

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Nope! Only Bobby Bradley has his reasons. It's utterly ridiculous. I hate how he never gives Adu the full 90 (fitness is no excuse because Adu has not looked tired in the matches Bob subs him out and Adu always looks surprised).
    I love how two guys it seems that Bob is down on both scored. The few chances he has given Kenny Jr. the guy has put the ball in the back of the net, yet Taylor Twellman got so many chances under Arena and couldn't do squat. EJ was stinking up the joint for so long and Bradley kept sticking with him instead of giving Cooper a chance. I'm not a big fan of Bob Bradley.
    Anyway, I agree w/ you , Adu is the most creative player on the team and should be starting regularly, Jozy and Cooper were a lovely combo to watch.

14. leroy

Some news on Donovan...

I guess we'll see how he does in his 3rd stint in Germany. The first 2 were well documented failures. It's important for his development to be uncomfortable with his surroundings and to still produce. I just fear that the first sign of being on the bench will lead him to cry his way out of town like the last time. He needs to play at this level if he's ever going to truly lead the USMNT.

15. SwoLy-D

MEXICO knows Altidore... :D

Also, that was a SWEET, SWEET, SWEET shot by Adu.

16. DrLudicrous

That could be a good move for him. Just training and being around the team every day should help him. The only thing I wonder about is if Bayern Munich is the best team to sign at. I know he has a history with Klinsmann which gave him an in at the team, but that's going to be a tough place to get playing time at.

17. DrLudicrous

One thing I liked about his free kicks was that he actually put them on target, they weren't the most powerful shots but by being on frame it gives them a chance of going in. If the ball goes 20 feet over the goal it doesn't matter how hard you kick it, it ain't going in.

18. leroy

Seems to me that England would have been a better fit. Hopefully, it works out this time because the US needs Donovan to grow if there are any hopes in 2010.

19. DrLudicrous

I think he can do well in Germany, but I think he would have been better off with a smaller team where he could get minutes easier.

The Bundesliga is one of my favorite leagues to watch, the games are usually fast paced with a lot of back and forth action and aren't overly physical. That could really fit into Donovan's style.

20. Trini Rocket

Trini Rocket Member

How do you think the Hex is going shape up? Who do you think is going to make the top 3 and who's going to go into the playoff with the south american team