1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Extremist Netanyahu says no Palestinian state if he remains PM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Mar 16, 2015.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No wonder Obama hates this guy, he's so textbook Dick Cheney. I'm glad he alone can defend Israel, we can stop the checks and stop spying for them.

Netanyahu says no Palestinian state if he remains PM
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4637673,00.html

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a final bid to shore up right-wing support ahead of a knife-edge vote on Tuesday, said he would not permit a Palestinian state to be created under his watch if he is re-elected.

Trailing his centre-left opponent Isaac Herzog in opinion polls, the three-term leader has sought to shift the focus away from socioeconomic issues and on to security challenges, saying he alone can defend Israel.

Having previously hinted that he would accept a Palestinian state, Netanyahu reversed course on Monday, citing risks that he linked to the regional spread of Islamist militancy. He said that if he is re-elected, the Palestinians would not get the independent state they seek in the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza.

"Whoever moves to establish a Palestinian state or intends to withdraw from territory is simply yielding territory for radical Islamic terrorist attacks against Israel," he told the Israeli news site NRG.

Asked if that meant a state would not be established if he remained prime minister, he said: "Indeed."

On the final day of campaigning Monday, Netanyahu visited Har Homa, a Jewish development in east Jerusalem that is viewed as an illegal settlement by the Palestinians and the international community.

Netanyahu vowed to preserve Jerusalem's unity "in all its parts" and said he would "continue to build and fortify" the city to prevent any future division.

"Come home," he told disaffected Likud supporters. The choice is symbolic: the Likud led by me, that will continue to stand firmly for (Israel's) vital interests, compared with a left-wing government... ready to accept any dictate," he said.

Netanyahu promoted the establishment of Har Homa in 1997, in defiance of deep-seated international opposition, after he was first elected prime minister.

"I thought we had to protect the southern gateway to Jerusalem by building here," Netanyahu said, with a construction site behind the podium as his backdrop. "There was huge objection, because this neighbourhood is in a location which prevents the Palestinian (territorial) contiguity."

Despite the gap in polls, the numbers do not necessarily rule out Netanyahu's chances of forming the next government after Tuesday's election but have rattled the Likud, which began the campaign all but assured that it would stay in office.

In recent days it has been on a get-out-the-vote blitz with Netanyahu warning against the rise of a left-wing government in a series of interviews and before tens of thousands of hard-line supporters at a Tel Aviv rally organized by the right on Sunday evening.

"This is a fateful struggle, a close struggle. We must close this gap. We can close this gap," Netanyahu said to roaring applause at the rally.

Palestinian official Hanan Ashrawi said Netanyahu's comments were "dangerous" and could plunge the region into violence.

"This is the real Netanyahu," she said. "From the beginning, he was attempting to carry out a grand deception by pretending to be in favor of the two-state solution. But what he was actually doing on the ground is destroying the chances of peace."

2. rudan

rudan Member

Haters gonna hate....

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is there anything this dangerous fool won't do to get re-elected? Apparently not. Wake up, Israelis.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

It's not like his position has actually changed. What's changed is that ISIS has created an environment in which he can now politically benefit by telling the truth. It's been obvious for quite some time that he wasn't onboard with a 2 state solution.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea. It's actually good that this is now an "official" statement. Before, it's all game and it was quite clear he was never into ever giving Palestine a state.

6. glynch

glynch Member

This guy has won three elections and this position wrt to a Palestinian state is very mainstream in Israel. Bibi's position on this has been known, though perhaps not so explicitly stated, for years and supported by most Israelis.

He must be desperate as a lot of US support for Israel is based on the majority of Americans not realizing that Israel a s a whole was never serious about the so called "Peace Process".

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Jewish Americans we're friends with have a far different political view than Likud or their even farther to the right coalition partners, and my impression is that the views they hold are very common in the States among Jewish Americans. They want the Palestinian statehood issue solved by allowing the creation of a state for them on the West Bank and Gaza, see no benefit in continuing to illegally build settlements on the West Bank, quite the opposite, and would like to see Iran prevented from having nuclear weapons, but peacefully, through negotiations, if that is possible. That quitting negotiations now would be lunacy.

I'll add that I have met the brother of one of our good friends, who lives in Israel (and has for decades now) and came over for a visit. I mentioned this a few years back, this not being the only time the topic has been discussed, of course. He must love Bibi. Heck, he must have loved seeing his speech to congressional Republicans and a certain number of polite Democrats. I spent about half an hour chatting with him, and he flatly said that Israel will nuke the sites in Iran if it will prevent them getting atomic weapons. I told him that what he said astonished me, and that I found it hard to believe. He replied that I just didn't understand what a danger Iran was to Israel. Then I replied that if the regime in Tehran wanted large sections of their country turned into a parking lot by the United States, attempting to attack Israel with nuclear weapons would do the trick. Then he said that they couldn't take the chance that Iran would let American military power prevent then from destroying Israel if they could. Our conversation then turned to more mundane topics. It was a trippy experience. The friend who's brother this guy is said that he's been this way for many, many years, and not one of the dangers he's said would hurt Israel "next year, or in 5 years" has ever come to pass. Dangers threatening the existence of the State of Israel. This really happened 3 or 4 years ago, maybe longer, at a party in a condo on 4th street in Austin. Someone will probably say, "It's anecdotal!" Such is life.

So there's something in what you say about what Americans realize and don't realize with regard to Israeli politics. I think Jewish Americans, in the main, understand the issues pretty well. They very much are for continued American support and arms sales to Israel, and I don't see American support changing any time in the forseeable future. Non-Jewish Americans, however, may not understand just how radical Netanyahu is.

#7 Deckard, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. Exiled

Exiled Member

He is honest at least ,give him credit for that, instead of typical wolf in sheep cloth' Israeli mantra

9. Dubious

Dubious Member

much like the fire and brimstone thread, you can get elected on promises of good works or inflaming paranoia.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So that now he won and likely the PM, what does it mean to the world and to the US that were pushing for 2 states? Those of you that know the process and Israel a bit more, is it something that is dead and it's a waste of time and energy to pursuit or still a possibly even with Netanyahu as PM?

Seems to me it's dead and there is nothing the West can do about it.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope that the next US government will be at better terms with the Israeli government and its legitimate interest to defend Israel and its people.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

P.S.: Netanyahu is not an extremist. CometsWin, however...

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I could be wrong, but your perspective seems heavily biased as well. (I know, I know, I'm playing into the logical fallacy of the middle ground argument).

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

That would assume we are capable of electing a competent leader, which Obama is certainly not.

1 person likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Sounds like we can save the State Department from spending a lot of time trying to negotiate something that neither side really wants. I'd like to hear more about what final solution Netanyahu aspires to. All I gather so far is he wants to perpetuate the status quo, which I can't imagine is acceptable to anyone for the long-term.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I have no personal stake in Israel. Just providing some counterbalance to the Israel hate by several posters on this board ;).

17. Remii

Remii Member

It means the US better start taking steps away from Israel before they drag them into a bloody war that they can't win... Basically what Obama has already started doing.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Do you get paid by the post? There's got to be some reason why you're such an Israeli apologist. German guilt? What is it? Please explain.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Romney said a lot of weird **** to win the repub nomination -- the vast majority of which he would have never followed up on if he had won the election.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Isn't he going to box Evander Holyfield soon?

You can say a lot of things about us ex-BCG guys, but a lack of confidence is not one of them ;).

I guess CometsWin's idol, prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, would agree.