1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Extraordinary admission to interrogators by London bomb suspect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, Aug 3, 2005.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think what happened in Dresden and Hiroshima and Nagasaki (among many other operations) were evil, yes.

Know your history.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

But we are apathetic towards them (I don't see many magnetic ribbons on SUVs for the dead civilians). Is that evil?

3. tigermission1

No actually this is a fact, you just forgot about the "smart sanctions" that resulted in nearly half a million deaths in Iraq throughout the 1990s. The people who die don't care if they are killed by a "terrorist" or a "freedom fighter" or "uniformed soldiers" or a "stray missile -- oops! Sorry" or by Saddam Hussein, death is death.

I don't see/hear anyone crying for the innocents being killed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine, Chechnya, or Darfur every single day, nor do I expect them to get 24/7 coverage like the London attacks or one missing kid in Aruba. It's like it has never happened.

But I understand the underlying principle in all of this, I am not naive. Carrying a certain "passport" makes you exponentially more valuable than another human being. Moreover, belonging to a certain "race" or "ethnicity" makes you much more valuable within a particular society than others.

#23 tigermission1, Aug 3, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  4. ricky-retardo

ricky-retardo Contributing Member

I do thank you and do not agree that they were evil. Looking back it is easy to say there was a different solution to ending WWII. I have read both sides of the argument and happen to disagree with the alternate war plans (Japan). As with Germany we were bombing with dummy bombs. Civilian casualities will happen. Is it sad, yes but it was part of war. I wish that wars would not have to be fought and if they are innocent people would never die but that is never going to happen.

5. tigermission1

Actually, you are wrong!

The ACTUAL objective of bombing those cities I mentioned WERE to kill civilians as part of a "shock and awe" campaign to force the Germans and the Japanse into submission. In these three cases, civilians WERE the primary target to "send a message".

I didn't ask you whether or not these were "legitimate" tactics, I was just mentioning that targeting civilians REGARDLESS of objective/goal is EVIL; ironically enough we are now opposed to terrorism and Bin Laden because of their "ends justify the means" mentality in targeting civilians to force their governments to "surrender", so to speak.

You see the irony here?

6. ricky-retardo

No it is not evil but I will make sure that I make one and stick it on my car. Why do people not have ribbons for the homeless the disabled or the mentally challenged? Is that evil? Money drives these types of things sadly. If the demand is there then someone will make them.

7. ricky-retardo

I re read some of the Dresdin bombings and I am not sure that was necessary. While I believe the Japanese bombing were a necessity I do see your point. It becomes a never ending circle.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'm just asking if apathy for killing thousands of civilians is evil. The ribbon thing was an example. Would you say that indifference for the homeless, the disabled or the mentally challenged is also evil?

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

But they would be equally mad at the Muslims killing Muslims in Iraq.

10. ricky-retardo

I believe for the most part people will say what is the point? What does it do to show support on my car or shirt or whatever. For most people it does not effect them. Do I believe that for the most part people care about these problems, yes. Maybe I am naive. I do not like it when innocent people die and I am sure a lot of people are like me.

11. tigermission1

Absolutely, there is enormous anger in Iraq and around the Arab world at what Zarqawi's group is doing in targeting Iraqis, civlians, and children. In fact, even "legitimate" Iraqi insurgents at one point declared that they would start targeting Zarqawi and his terrorists for bringing havoc upon the Iraqi people, and won't differentiate between them and the occupiers.

Don't try to qualify a "wrong" by pointing to another "wrong". Both actions are despicable, and as I said before, those being "killed" or "murdered" don't differentiate as to whom is responsible nor the method used to kill them.

#31 tigermission1, Aug 3, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  12. ricky-retardo

They do not blame fellow muslims, they instead place the blame on the US. If the US was not there then the Muslims would not need to kill fellow Muslims.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It has nothing to do with trusting or not trusting the enemy. You made an assumption on the motive that discounts first hand testimony of those actually involved in the fiasco. You are in no way involved.

I don't know if you have been attention or not, but the terrorists we are fighting against are big on giving reasons and trying to justify their deeds. They give reasons and state goals all the time.

The terrorists who do what they do for their belief in Islam are not shy about proclaiming they are doing this because of their religion and to slay infidels etc. They have not lied and tried to claim it was a different reason before.

These terrorists would have zero reason to lie. IT wouldn't help them to claim one cause over another.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that the war is not an excuse to commit terrorism. There is never an excuse for terrorism.

I wasn't claiming these were good people or that their acts were justified. I was only pointing out that their reasoning has now been plainly stated. For a comodities trader or investment banker(whatever TJ does for a living) who isn't involved in the incident in any way shape or form to proclaim a reason that nobody involved is claiming makes zero sense.

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

What are you talking about?

My point: The problem with this kind of discussion is that moderate Muslims say 'this is not us - this is a VERY VERY small subset,' then they say 'but killing Muslims will cause a Muslim to bomb civilians.' Which is it? Are terrorists everyday Muslims or not? Are they a VERY VERY small subset or not?

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

And I'm sure if there was an Al Qaeda Embassy in London you might see some Muslims trying to bomb that.

Its ridiculous to think that these terrorists wouldn't be acting out of revenge over Iraq. Its like saying that we didn't invade Afghanistan because of 9/11. We can argue whether its morally appropiate or even flat out evil for them to bomb civillians in London but it defies hman nature to not presume that the invasion of Iraq wasn't what motivated them.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Muslims like any other group can be mad about seeing their fellows killed and at the same time not become terrorists. You're just trying to obfuscate the situation.

That's like wondering that since Eric Rudolf is a conservative white America and that he was angered by abortion to become a terrorists whether he is a small subset of conservatives white Americans or not.

18. tigermission1

It only defies T_J and bigtexxx apparently, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'd truly like to believe that sishir...but i can't. the scale of those two things are entirely different. when was the last abortion clinic bombing?? the mid-90's?? we have a new terrorist attack nearly every day somewhere in the world. that recent poll done that measured sympathy for the london bombers scared the crap out of me...because the numbers suggest far more people sympathize with this stuff than i would ever have expected. we have people in the muslim world with serious political power advocating this b.s. that's just not so among right-wing freaks in this country who use terror as their weapon.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Spot on. Nice post Max.