1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exterminator/Pest Control: Squirrels in our attic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Sep 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Does anybody have any suggestions of who to use and what it might cost?

Not to thrilled about doing it, but they chewed through a hose that drains the water from the drip pan under central the a/c. This leaking water ruined parts of a ceiling in the room where we keep the computer and caused quite a bit of water to drip on the pc and the printer. Luckily, none of that was damaged.

Anyways, we've got to get rid of them and find out where they're getting in and patch that up as well.

2. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I had a similar problem. Squirrels are just rats with furry tails. Very very very strong rats, that is.

I used "Have a Heart" traps, giant mousetraps and glue traps. Once I got them out of my attic, I patched up the hole they chewed into the side of my house with metal (after wood didn't work). You won't believe this, but they actually tried to chew throught the metal and left hundreds of teeth marks. They finally gave up about 2-3 weeks later.

I hate squirrels with a passion!

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I had a couple of raccoons fall through my roof onto me one day. The pipe to the AC unit had been sweating and dripping on my ceiling and weakened it, then when the raccoon walked over that part it collapsed and fell on me. It took about an hour to get them out of my room and another couple of hours to clean up the rotted insulation that was everywhere.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Tom Delay might be back in the business soon. :D

It's a joke people.

5. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

From what I hear, DeLay is good.

By the way, I too am joking :) There is absolutely no reason to make fun of a man for his profession, provided it's honest.

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Me too, but I love them now, they taste very good...

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I saw that Roxran had posted in a thread about squirrels and HAD to read it. :D

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Buy a cat.

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

My folks had that problem. They had to get rid of them twice. The first time, they spread some "red fox urine" (no ****, they sell such a thing) in the attic -- it doesn't smell to humans, but it's a predator to squirrels and they left. Later, when the squirrels got wise to the fox pee, they got some humane traps -- they trapped them and then transported the squirrels to a park.

10. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

What you have to do is plug the holes where they are getting in. Now that it's a little cooler, you can get up in your attic and start looking for holes. Good luck.

Remember: Squirrels are just rats with good P.R.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

We had the squirrel problem at our old house, the fox urine did the trick.

Now I've got a damn birds nest in my vent fan in the kitchen. All day long I hear chirp chirp chirp.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I do not believe the two cats I have can handle even a mouse. They are only good for picking spiders off the wall. ;)

13. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Put Snapping mouse traps in the attic. They won't kill the squirrel but they'll break some legs or ribs depending on where they are when they try to get the nut out. Then you can go into the attic and finish them off with a hammer.

;)