1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Explosion in Manhattan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know what exacerbates racial tension? Accusing an entire group of being a backwards religion. Or jumping to conclusions that when something bad happens it's the fault of the group.

This isn't about being PC. You claim all people are doing is saying what they think, but then when other people attack those thoughts as being stereotypical and reflecting bias, you cry foul?

Hate comes from having an irrational fear of something. "I hate spiders" why? Most spiders don't harm you. People see a harmless spider they kill it, people see a harmless butterfly and they look - don't kill that butterfly!

And that's how it plays out with race on an insidious level. People value black people's lives less. People value Muslims lives less. People fear them and want them to go away because that is what we want from the things we fear. But it conflicts with our beliefs about ourselfs - that we are good people who believe in equality.

So to resolve that contradiction - we find rationalizations. "Oh - their religion is violent! Or BLM is a hate group and there is no such thing as bias" "This is all Obama's fault"

Denial is a way to hide one's irrational fear and thus buries racism.

Thanks for listening, I am sure you will not agree.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...but-chinese/ywpU8eeO3BoSkvFv7RqxyN/story.html

THE LARGEST MASS lynching in the United States took place in Los Angeles on Oct. 24, 1871. It was a ghastly eruption of lethal racism, but the victims — 18 men and boys, dragged from their homes and summarily hanged or shot — weren’t black. They were Chinese, and they were murdered by a mob, nearly 500 strong, that included some of the city’s leading citizens.

“Their first victim was an elderly, inoffensive Chinaman, whom they seized and dragged headlong through the streets, beating and abusing him at every step,” the Los Angeles Daily Mirror later recounted. At the corner of Temple and New High streets, the lynch party tied a noose around the old man’s neck and hauled him up. “The rope broke and the unfortunate wretch, innocent of any wrong, asked for mercy from his cruel tormentors. This was denied with jeers, and he was again hung up; this time successfully.”

Fear and loathing of immigrants isn’t a new phenomenon. Today, much of that animus is directed toward Mexico, and Donald Trump has made it the cornerstone of his presidential bid.

But it’s worth looking back to the decades after the Civil War, when hostility toward the foreign-born focused especially on the Chinese. Politicians, demagogues, and the press denounced Chinese laborers with unvarnished contempt and advocated fervently for sealing the border to keep Chinese migrants out.

“From their Asiatic hive they . . . come pouring forth,” intoned Edwin Meade, an academic and congressman from New York, in an influential 1877 address to the Social Science Association of America. The “coolie,” he said, is a “mere animal machine” — “devoid of conscience,” “disgustingly filthy,” and “utterly incapable of any improvement.” Labor leaders demanded that Congress prohibit all Chinese immigration to the United States. The Wasp, a weekly magazine in San Francisco, churned out reams of Sinophobic propaganda, depicting Chinese workers as perpetual-motion monsters whose presence deprived American-born white natives of jobs, or as opium-addicted savages spreading immorality and disease.

For years, political leaders and grass-roots agitators clamored for the gate to be closed. In 1882, with the enactment of the Chinese Exclusion Act, it was. Chinese workers were barred from entering the United States, and all Chinese people living in the country were required to register with the federal government. The law, which was subsequently upheld by the Supreme Court, flatly banned anyone of Chinese origin from becoming a naturalized citizen.

Fast-forward to 2016, when Trump’s hard line on Mexicans entering the United States has been the most consistent element in his presidential campaign. Returning from his brief meeting with Mexico’s president a couple weeks ago, Trump repeated his vow to construct an “impenetrable, physical” wall on the southern border, and to force Mexicans to pay for it. Hillary Clinton has touted her own past support for a militarized barrier between the two countries.

We’ve gotten used to hearing immigration restrictionists noisily complain that the United States has become “a dumping ground for Mexico,” or warn that America is being swamped by such a tidal wave of Mexican immigrants, both legal and illegal, that its very identity is imperiled.

Yet the country that sends the most immigrants to the United States each year isn’t Mexico. It’s China.

In 2013, according to the Census Bureau, China was the country of origin for 147,000 US immigrants, compared to just 125,000 who came from Mexico. Over the previous 10 years, immigration from China and other Asian countries had been rising, while immigration from Mexico decreased. Since at least 2009, reported demographer Eric Jensen, more immigrants to America have been Asian than Hispanic. By 2013, the disparity was unmistakable: Asians accounted for 40.2 percent of the total immigration flow. Hispanics made up only 25.5 percent.

Last week, The Wall Street Journal crunched even more recent numbers. “In 2014, there were 31 states where more immigrants arrived from China than from Mexico. . . . Even in California, a top destination for Latinos, Chinese immigrants outnumbered Mexican immigrants.” (The data include all immigrants, legal and illegal.)

In short, well before Trump had even launched his campaign, the alarms about Mexican immigrants swamping the border were already years out of date. Like most other anxieties and terrors about immigration — that they steal jobs, or have high rates of crime, or refuse to assimilate — the “invasion” of Mexicans is an overblown myth.

We look back today at the demonization of Chinese immigrants in the 1870s and 1880s and are aghast that so many Americans could have spouted such ludicrous, ugly stuff. We have come a long way from the Chinese Exclusion Act to today’s robust Asian immigration flows. A generation or two hence, Americans will look back at the harsh and unworthy immigration politics of our time, and be equally aghast that Mexicans were so reviled, and US citizens so willing to be deluded.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The modern day liberal. Here it is for all to see. Sad.

I'll be the bigger man and not resort to slinging insults back at you.

Do better, son.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

People are just saying don't jump to conclusions and point fingers. It makes you look ignorant, especially when you're wrong.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You mean, like this?

The usual suspects (Beaner, New Yorker, etc.) didn't seem to mind that post, but are quick to call everyone who is more intelligent than they are a "bigot" or "racist".

I am waiting for more facts to come out. It's concerning, to say the least. Two bomb attacks in the NY area (motive yet unknown, but strong parallels to the Boston bombings committed in the name of Islam), a stabbing of 8 in a mall in Minnesota for which an ISIS wing claimed responsibility. That's just in the last two days.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>CNN edits out Clinton referring to NY explosion as 'bombing' <a href="https://t.co/hyuMpZ5Qu2" title="http://hill.cm/SJrDpOe">hill.cm/SJrDpOe</a> <a href="https://t.co/cAiomGS8qO" title="https://twitter.com/thehill/status/777545228043620352/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/cAiomGS8qO</a></p>&mdash; The Hill (@thehill) <a href="https://twitter.com/thehill/status/777545228043620352" data-datetime="2016-09-18T16:30:03+00:00">September 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>"I am concerned," says @<a href="https://twitter.com/NYPDONeill">NYPDONeill</a>, "we have a bomb that detonated and no one apprehended"</p>&mdash; Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) <a href="https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/777546997922467840" data-datetime="2016-09-18T16:37:05+00:00">September 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="777545059411562496"><p>NYPD Commissioner: 2nd device was found after search in area following first explosion.</p>&mdash; Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) <a href="https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/777547307080376321" data-datetime="2016-09-18T16:38:18+00:00">September 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="777546326447882244"><p>NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio being asked why he won't call it terrorism: "It could have been something personally motivated, we don't know yet"</p>&mdash; Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) <a href="https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/777547491424206849" data-datetime="2016-09-18T16:39:02+00:00">September 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Duncan McDonuts

The name calling and assumptions are wrong on all sides. I typically ignore the posters who resort to those childish antics in a debate and give those comments no thought or acknowledgement. If you can't debate like an adult, you get ignored like a child.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The thing I am wondering about is: They apparently have surveillance camera video of when the bomb detonated. Wouldn't that indicate that they should also have a recording of when it was placed?

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think it's fair to say that after all of ATW's very personal attacks on people, including myself, I have very little incentive to defend him when he is attacked. It's funny that he can dish it out but whines when someone serves it to him.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The other thing I am concerned about is that the more stuff like this happens, the more certain I feel that Trump will win.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Oh you poor little fairy.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Honestly, it should stop on both sides. Treat each other with a little respect, even if you don't agree with one's opinions or thoughts. Once the debate devolves into name calling and personal attacks, it turns into monkeys flinging poo at each other. But that describes 98% of the D&D threads.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its a lot harder for people to believe you, when you don't believe yourself. You seem pretty aggravated at being called out... at least try and keep your cool.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Just look at the intelligence of this (known) low IQ poster, he defeats his own point in his first sentence. Embarrassing. If you're going to fall back on the I don't know much english excuse, I won't fault you.

Also, I think this is an attack by islamic extremists, but the aforementioned poster is often too inarticulate to piece things together. Respect your betters.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Your former screen name is True Beaner. People still call me SJC as well.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That will never happen. People like Bigtexxx, ATW, Bobby, Space Ghost aren't interested in respectful discussion, they are interested in letting out steam by attacking other people and insulting them - something they can't do to people in their real lives.

So all one can do is ignore it on both sides and laugh at the irony of them projecting their weaknesses onto others.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LosPollosHermanos' meltdown this morning has been cringeworthy to watch.

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You didn't understand the meaning of it (originally), nor do you understand the rules of anything outside of dealings with yourself. There is a reason I requested it be changed and Clutch agreed. "Because this is how things are with me, they should be with others" is kindergarten level etiquette. If your reasons and intentions were as stated, you should have no problem with referring to me by my displayed moniker now. There is no excuse or current context for using that word, unless you really do wish to decouple your point in the first sentence.

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Are you still thinking about me? :confused:

Read your last couple of posts, friend.