1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Explosion at fertilizer plant north of Waco, Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ILoveTheRockets, Apr 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is a very depressing read. It's particularly troubling that the maximum fine for respiratory protection standards is only $1,000. That's chump change for a company of that size and isn't much of a fine for individual misdemeanors.

It's obviously too early to tell the cause of this explosion but I still think there is going to be a lot that comes out of this for the need for more regulation.

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I was thinking about this yesterday about the difference regarding the two. I think a big issue is that terrorism has a much greater psychological and dramatic impact than an industrial accident or natural disaster. Consider that yesterday a giant storm swept the Midwest causing massive flooding in Illinois, tornadoes in other parts of the country, a blizzard here in MN and at least one fatality but that is getting almost no coverage.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

In other news, media trumpets "sensational" story and emotional reactions hinder rational analysis.

Sky is blue too.

It's obvious why these things end up the way they do...and yet here we go again. Two things are infinite...

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes the terrorism angle and emotion is one reason why one story got more coverage but there is a rational angle to this. The suspects have not all been caught and until last night there weren't any definitive suspects. The story was an ongoing story and one where things could potentially change greatly every minute. For how horrific the West explosion was it doesn't sound like there is much danger of more explosions happening there so the major action of the story is over.

5. rhadamanthus

The story angle is not my focus at all. It's just tangentially related to your post which, while true, missed my point I think.

In a few months we'll see legislation probably from this Boston craziness. No doubt further restricting our so-called freedoms for the sake of non-existant security. We will likely not see anything significant to help regulate the far more preventable scenario like that in Texas. People are walking around terrified of terrorists, but not terrified of the recklessness displayed by corporations in the name of the almighty buck on a daily basis. People are pissed off about Boston, but it's doubtful you'll see anything other than sympathy and vague remorse towards those dead in West Texas.

Manufactured politics...

1 person likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Boston will result in more laws perhaps and restrictions on the liberties of individuals
    Texas will probably result in business as usual

They will use Boston as a wedge in a war against . . whoever or something
    I doubt anyone will use Texas to champion restrictions on corporations etc
    At least not at the same level

Rocket River

7. rhadamanthus

Yup, that's my point.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this is so sad wish it got more media attention. Volunteer fire righters dying in blasts like these is always depressing.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree and that will likely be the case. That said I hold some hope about the West explosion. Perhaps the aftermath won't garner anywhere near the attention that Boston will, including political handwringing, but there will likely be investigations and lawsuits out of this that might prompt changes in regulations or at least holding the operators responsible.

Stuff like this rarely holds the public's attention but I can tell you that in my field architecture, disasters have frequently led to changes in building codes and practices.

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

has Obama even come down to visit yet? Its not hollywood and I guess he has nothing to gain from a little obscure town in texas...

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think he has been a little busy lately. Not even sure if Rick would want him.

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

he doesn't have a problem asking him for aid though.

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I'm not even a hardcore Texan but this is pissing me off. It seems NOBODY really seems to give a ****. THere is so much devastation and so many volunteer firefighters dead. Such a tragedy and so many families hurt right now.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Obama still hasn't visited West. He'll be in Dallas this week for a fundraiser, but currently doesn't have a stop in West scheduled, despite being about 90 miles south of there... He has to get back to DC for a Planned Parenthood Gala on Thursday. This guy is just complete trash. How in the hell is he our president? Disgusting.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/04/22/obama-scheduled-visit-west-texas/

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm missing something: Why do we want him to visit? Is there something he needs to accomplish for West?

Do Presidents visit all plant explosion level events?

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I thought you wanted Big Government out of Private Business affairs?

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't have a problem with lack regulation in a state like Texas. It's a die hard red state and the vast majority of people believe in less regulation. They don't want these type of inspections and believe industry should police itself.

So I think people can have that and live with the consequences of those choices. This is exactly what diehard republicans wanted, right?

It's an unfortunate loss of life and property, but it was the people's choice in this case.

18. bigtexxx

It was the people's choice to die? That's one of the more disgusting things I've ever read on here. I'm assuming you're just trolling

How do you know this wouldn't have happened in California or NY?

19. bigtexxx

He's the nation's leader, and needs to visit to help the healing process if nothing more. I guarantee if there were in a swing state he'd have already gone.

Actually there's a non-zero chance he'd get booed off the stage in West -- he probably received <10% of the votes in the area, if that. He probably took that into account

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am confused, you support industry regulating itself and against gov't interfering right? You have been shouting this for many years now.

1 person likes this.