1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Explain your love for animals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pmac, Aug 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They're more loyal than people, that's for ****ing sure.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who said anything about "loving" my animal. That's like asking if an Alpha wolf loves his pack. My pack and I are out to make sure nothing happens to us, and we can take as much territory as needed to survive.

We are less successful when I put them on leashes. screw that. This is a dog eat dog world. If the others are not on leashes...why the hell would we be on leashes? That's some the french would do with their fru fru poodles. Leashes are more for protection to pull your poodle out of the way. Not for the real dogs.

we have a clearly defined pecking order...it starts with Alpha...that's me. The dogs brave enough to approach me are who I "love" the most. Let them figure it out.

you have to learn how to eat everything, in order to survive stuff like the Virginia earthquake.

that's the job of the puppies/newbies.

3. heypartner

Hold on...is that a Navy Seal Team 6 dog that he trained with or his family dog? The man was probably one of the 30+ Navy Seal Team 6 soldiers who died, right? That means he must have been away from his family dog for quite some time. incredibly.

4. heypartner

dude! so wrong. just do your deed and walk away. don't treat them like they're your kids and need to learn a lesson.

I was in a situation where my dog got lose on Boulder creek (she only lives 2 blocks from it). Within minutes i went to find her. couldn't, I slept on the creek looking for her, but the load roar of the rapids prevented me from finding her. After sunrise 530am, I looked for another hour and I gave up and went home. Laid on my couch and kept the door open...waiting for Animal Control to open at 11am. She walked in 15 minutes after me...looking for me!....WITH NO COLLAR ON!!!

She must have slept with some pack of transients and dogs and some dude decided to steal her tags to put on her dog, to avoid Boulder Police tickets...which they will get. Had you found her and b****ed me out while I was crying, I think I would have gone crazy on you.

Be careful who you criticize with little knowledge of the situation.

1 person likes this.
  5. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

She got out just the other day, didn't know for about 10 minutes, come running out the door and find her only about 30-40 yards away running around in the grass. I turn on my serious voice and yell at her to come here, she obliges and kind of just stands next to me. I tell her she can't be running out and tell her to go home, she turns and runs straight to our front door and stands there. I don't worry too much about what could possibly happen when she know exactly where she lives.

6. TheresTheDagger

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was his family dog.

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I only love my dog.

8. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Dogs are generally awesome. Man's best friend.
    Pigs are awesome. Bacon.
    Cats suck. Filthy animals.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love animals.

Dogs need humans and as was pointed were bred to be with humans. One of their instinctual drives is to please humans. The fact that's part of their nature, and their loyalty makes me love them all the more.

Other animals are innocent which is why I love them. Even when they do something aggressive, or annoying or whatever, it's done out of innocence.

I don't deny my place at the top of the food chain, and that it's natural for humans to eat meat. I always try and get free range and organically cared for meats though.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Insects don't feel pain? Awesome. I'll have some for breakfast tomorrow.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I love my cat so much. I carry her like a baby and take pictures of her constantly and plaster them all over facebook.

She's kind of a b**** too, thats the thing. A real spoiled rotten little bugger.

But I love that kitty.

12. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I really love animals and I am a big dog person. I guess I'm not sure about what it is exactly about animals that brings me joy. You can be yourself around them? They're not fake? I'm not really sure. Dogs show you love and are good companions. That's one reason to like them.

As for wanting them to be free, dogs are man's best friend & we are their best friends. Dogs (and cats) have been bred for a domestic life. Really, their natural habitat is now with us. Exotic animals are another thing. Some people don't like zoos because you are caging beautiful animals that were meant for the wild. I, on the other hand, love zoos. They educate the public and really do a lot for conservation. Plus, there are now lots of requirements to be an accredited zoo. Our zoos are not the zoos of 50 years ago, but are happy places now. :)

I think a lot of people feel compassion to animals based on the animal's similarities to us. So, generally, we love and sympathize more with the most intelligent animals that understand pain and show similar facial expressions. I, however, not only love animals on the individual level, but see everything through a conservation standpoint as well. So even some dumb little rodent no one would care about is important to keep around, to me & from any ecologist's standpoint. Each animal species is unique in its own way and we have so much we can learn from them. That's millions of years of evolution there and to lose that is a real shame, especially when we are the cause of its extinction.

I've never had a snake in my house, but last week there was actually one in my pool that kept trying, but couldn't get out. I believe it was a diamondback watersnake. I helped it out with a stick. I would do something similar if it were in my house. There's no reason to kill it, even if it's poisonous. Respect it and keep your distance.

I really like lizards, but I always try to catch them in my house to let them out, because they always end up dying (due to starvation?) when they get trapped inside. But they are really difficult to catch! Roaches are everywhere. I don't really care about their feelings. I'm not the biggest fan of them & roaches are one species that you don't have to worry about going extinct before we do. I pick dead ones up & flush em down the toilet. I don't kill anything except mosquitoes.

#52 BabyClutch, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well no wonder you love animals, being half dog and all.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

animals like snakes can't really befriend you, and it doesn't make them bad, its just how they're wired. Everything is seen as a survival/death situation. Probably why reptiles have been around for so long and successful evolutionarily.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

his wording clearly implies hes more dog than person mind you.

16. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Sorry I'm not that into art, and I didn't like his music:grin:.

18. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

19. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Why? Why is living in the wild for a pet necessarily superior to being domesticated?

I mean, I remember reading Life of Pi back when I was in high school, and the book argued against this notion of "freedom" with animals. A dog is "free" in the forest in the way that you or I would be "free" if we lived there. Sure, we wouldn't necessarily have to answer to anyone - but we would still be bound by physical reality if we didn't want to die slowly and painfully. The dog my friend owns lives a far better life than some wild dog, something which we're all aware of. You even mention it, when you ask whether we would to try to pick up a stray dog on the way to work, as that dog is "free."

I mean, our loyalty to a dog is probably less than to other humans, but we can still love our dogs.