1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Explain your love for animals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pmac, Aug 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SunsRocketsfan

WHAT?? :eek:
    Your horrible horrible human being. You disgust me.. you vile piece of crap...how can you look at yourself in the mirror? You should be ashamed of yourself. You are definitely going to hell..

hehe jk... hey man not a nice thing to do but you were a kid and didnt know better. And at least you dropped it onto a soft bed and not concrete. Hopefully the dog was not physically injured. Good look with your dog in the future.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sP4NMoJcFd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

To clarify, I don't mean love for your pet but love for animals in general. Even I would develop a connection with something I've fed and took care of for an extended period of time. However, I have an innate love for humankind. If i see a man hit a woman (that I've never met), I would likely step in and defend her or find someone that can. If I see a hurt individual I would stop and make sure that they get medical attention.

Would you be late to work because you were helping a random dog?

Yes, after years of domestication those pets won't immediately have the instincts to live in the wild. I understand that. I'm more wondering if anyone has a problem with the idea of domestication. Meaning, if there was some way to ensure our pets would gradually adjust to the wild, would that be preferred? or do we just see no problem with owning animals.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Animals don't judge on skin color, income, political party, etc, so they're cool with me.

2 people like this.
  6. SacTown

SacTown Member

Yes, I want all animals to be free. Except for Dogs, because they aren't made to be free. A dog was bred and domesticated over 1000s of years to be connected to humans. Dogs need humans - so setting a dog free would be cruel. Humans and dogs have a special connection that has developed over the years and if you are lacking this connection then something in your brain didn't develop the way it did in the majority of other human's brains - so I would said you have a type of mental disorder or are less evolved than the rest of us. Or, you haven't owned your own dog before - maybe you had a family pet, but not one who was connected to just you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-decoded.html

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I've been late a couple of times for that reason. Found a cute little dog last year in the Houston heat just panting and struggling to walk around. Took me a good 20 min to convince him to come to me and give her water. Could tell right away she was a pet who was well taken care of, but just got lost. Took her to a shelter after knocking on a few doors trying to find the owner in the area where I found her. Dropped her there and on the way back to the same area, saw a dude just walking around looking for something. Asked him if he was searching for a dog and he was and told him where I had just dropped off her dog. Scolded him for not having a collar around her so I could have just called him.

Another time found a dog and kept her with us overnight. Next day drove around for hours looking for signs in the nieghborhood for lost dogs. Just when I was about to give up saw a sign with the lost dogs pic. Was able to reunite her with her owner who was balling her eyes out. Scolded her as well for not having a collar/tag with info on it.

3 people like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have been late to work before from stopping to help a "random dog."

As for the second part I bolded, the best dog I've ever had, the one I mentioned, was never fenced (he could climb over any fence he was put behind) and very rarely on a leash. If he could speak, he would have laughed at the idea of being "adjusted to the wild," if that meant abandoning his family of humans. So no, I have no problem with "domestication." Dogs have been "domesticated" by humans from time out of mind. Perhaps I've been lucky, but my experience is that there is a synergy between dogs and their humans. A form of evolution, if you will. Attempting to end that would not only harm the vast majority of domesticated dogs, but also us as human beings, in my opinion. Cats are a different breed of critter and far more independent. My S.O. is allergic to them, or I would have a cat, as well. Fascinating creatures.

Perhaps a better answer to your questions would be provided by actually having a dog, or a cat.

9. AXG

AXG Member

I guess it's because animals are innocent.

10. conquistador#11

I felt pretty much like you two years ago. You can search the michael Vick thread from 2007 where I said, prison for dogs? They're just animals.

On October of 09, a sister of a friend of mine was looking to give away her dog. She could no longer keep the three of them. I said I would take him in, as I didn't want him to end up in a shelter. Anakin is more than a pet; he's like a little person.

11. brooksstephens

No matter how bad of a day I'm having, no matter how good I look, now matter how well or bad I'm doing financially, no matter how good or bad I just played in pickup basketball....
    when I come through that front door, my dog thinks I'm the coolest, most interesting person in the world.
    Unconditionally.

2 people like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I care enough to know that would be a bad idea.:grin:

Good on you guys for practicing what you preach. I'm a lot like Rocket River in that I don't want them to be mistreated but I don't really have that connection that you all have. So, I don't think I'd be the best owner.

And, I'm not sure if it was meant to be a jab at me or not but I don't think I'm less evolved. I have the full spectrum of emotions with humans and I care for other living things, I just don't have the same love for animals that some have.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Screw it. It's post the pet you love time!

This is Kibbles.

[​IMG]

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No jab. Sorry if it came across that way. I honestly believe you'd understand the whole dog/cat/human thing if you tried it. Of course, you might end up with one that should be institutionalized for mental health reasons. That would blow my whole argument, wouldn't it! ;-)-

16. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

SO true on dogs being excited to see you everyday.

Ever since, we got Bo almost 2 years ago, he has been excited to see us EVERY SINGLE DAY. Heck, he even is so happy to see us if we have been gone for a hour. I love his "kidney bean" dance.

Like this (not my dog)

http://youtu.be/dKpyx0_PEMQ

I have no clue how to embed the video. :(

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think love is the correct way to describe it. Too strong of a word..thats probably why so many people are thinking about their pets first. You can care about animals and not really love them. Same goes for people...i care for people in general, but dont really need to love them to care. I think it's pretty simple, if they're just being innocent people/animals, then why hate them or let them suffer if i can help? That beign said, i could kill either if i had to defend myself or someone, but that's no longer an innocent situation.

I guess you have to deal with different animals first to develop a carign attitude for them. If you never do or just come across dangerous or "mean" animals, then it'll be difficult to see how good animals can be. More developed animals will also show a personality and that can make you care about them more as well.

18. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I have a lab mix I got when she was about 5 weeks old, now that it's just me and her, she's the reason I go home after work everyday. Why I stay at home for the most part on my days off, why I feel that no matter how hard it gets sometimes I have to keep right on going because I have to make sure she's taken care of. She knows what down, sit, come here, walk, leash, collar, no, yes, good girl, car ride, mama (ex), store, work, get inside, go home, puppy treats, puppy bath all mean on top of others I can't remember off the top of my head. Sometimes I'll be sitting there and she'll come up, put her head on my lap and fall asleep. No matter if I've been gone 10 minutes or 10 hours, she'll attack with me attention every time. I'd give up my job, car, internet, phone just to make sure she's healthy and happy.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No love for Herman Brood? If I was from The Netherlands, he would top my list.