1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Expectations for Green's second year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fchowd0311, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

That’s the overall vibe I’m getting.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I mean, AI and MJ were good scorers…

…but were they elite?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

no just good. different era. points are not just points anymore. something something

4. Houston77

Supporting Member

This you?

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...cavaliers-thread.313575/page-19#post-13926081

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can't do anything about what vibe you get, I am just saying he has not shown he can score at an elite level, yet.

It's amazing how that simple thought causes people to feel some kind of way.

To be a successful #2 pick he does have to be an elite scorer in my opinion, but for some reason people act like I called him a scrub or something.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Calm down mr cage.

Tfor3 and jiggyfly like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

8. Houston77

Supporting Member

Y’all, jiggy didn’t do anything ridiculous like compare KG to Mobley!

…he just compared him to Giannis.

Zen Tabak, cheke64 and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Just to be clear you don't expect a 19-20 year old guard in their rookie year to be an elite scorer from day one even if they were drafted first right?

Jalen Green has exceeded or matched the current cream of the sg crop(Lavine, Booker, Beal etc) relative to their rookie years besides Mitchell who joined the league 3 years older than Green. Every other top off guard in the league Green has surpassed or matched their rookie year in terms of output and efficiency. With some guys like Lavine, it isn't even close.

So ya, it's a safe bet he will reach elite scorer status assuming nothing like a severe injury impedes his progress.

I would say he has almost reached near elite scoring production status for the past two months averaging 20 ppg on near 60% ts. Doesn't mean he's a elite scorer now but it definitely seems trending in that direction in the next few seasons.

And from the eye test, he is electric and has shown a wide arsenal of moves at his young age. He's showing that he has the work ethic to rapidly improve and add to his game. He needs to fill out this offseason and I will have almost zero doubts he will be a elite scorer in this league assuming no serious set backs.

Nelly and peleincubus like this.
  10. fchowd0311

Okay and some people have Kobe comps to Green .
    The entire point was that they had similar comps going into the draft, nobody thought Kobe in that draft would be Kobe in his prime, that's why he was picked so low.

But I'm assuming that comp is absurd but the Giannis one for Mobley is reasonable? And remember, Giannis will more than likely be a better all time great than Kobe so it's even a more lofty goal for Mobley here.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This. They need to get bigger and more physicial.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude that was my entire point.

Nobody should be proclaiming that he has proven anything at this point.

I don't have any preconceived notions either way, my entire point was that he has not proven anything yet, but for some reason you and yours want to come at my head.

What set you off?

13. fchowd0311

I'm just discussing with you. Nothing is setting me off. Sorry if it is coming out that way.

Well what do you mean by "proven"? He has "shown" that he has the ability to be a elite scorer in this league. Is that a better word? The 4 consecutive 30 pt game streak that only Jordan and AI accomplished in their rookie season might seem arbitrary but at the very least it shows absolutely how difficult it is to adjust to the NBA as a rookie as only 3 players in the past 40 years have been able to do it. His last two months of elite efficiency with 20 ppg shows that he can string together months of near elite level scoring at the NBA already at age 20. That is ahead of schedule in my opinion.

Tfor3 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Kobe and Green did not have similar comps going into the draft, that's why I always respond when they are compared, Green is smaller and does not have the wingspan.

I made that comp to Giannis one time, and it was only to say that nobody saw this Giannis coming, so Mobley has room to grow.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

That is the vibe you give off. Didn’t ask you to do anything about that.
    Is he supposed to be an elite scorer at this point in his career? Asking for a friend.
    When/if he becomes an elite scorer just come back and admit you didn’t think he would.
    Own it.
    I’ll do the same antithetically.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Out of curiosity i looked up Iverson's game logs. he actually had 4 40+ games in a row one with 50 points. Also 8 of 9 games with 30 plus during that same time. Dude was unreal

BonziWellsGOAT and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is why I don't engage with you.

You know exactly what I mean, and now you are just trying to get me in a back and forth, where you are just going to start creating strawmen.

I said what I needed to say, if you think any of those random data points mean anything, more power to ya.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Have I ever said what I think Green can become or what he cannot become?

Yes he can be an elite scorer, he has the skills, but he has not proven anything yet which is my entire point.

It's like you guys take anything other than glowing praise as a slap in the face, and then act like I have been ragging on Green the entire year.

I have never said I did not think he can be an elite scorer, way to just make **** up.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Well, not many rookies can do what Elvin Hayes and Wilt Chamberlain did. lol

IMO he’s proven the high probability that he will be an elite scorer and then some (even though he doesn’t lead the league in scoring a la Hayes rookie campaign.)

#119 Tfor3, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    Nelly likes this.
  20. PatBev

PatBev Member

After ripping the bong & watching his highlights the past two games, I’m convinced he’s MJ & Kobe’s child

my only regret is not having a child yet so they could witness what’s about to happen

jiggyfly likes this.