1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exit Sandman

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by justtxyank, Sep 27, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I am an unabashed lover of Mariano Rivera. As many of you know, this is the final season for the legendary closer.

He will officially retire with the lowest career era since the stat became official in 1913, and if he retires 2 consecutive batters he will retire with a career WHIP below 1.00, an amazing accomplishment.

But, his legacy for me will not be limited to his on field greatness. Mariano Rivera was a class act. A gentleman who treated fans, teammates, coaches and opposing players with more than respect. He treated them all as his equal human being. I've told the story before, but Mariano Rivera will always have a special place in my heart for something he did the last time the Yankees came to Houston:

That was years ago obviously, but Mo is still the same class act.

So here's a tip of the cap to YOU Mariano.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y7UF8BmcJGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_voxdzu2bvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm going to miss you Mariano Rivera. The game of baseball was better because you played it.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm glad he got to go out on his own terms. What they did last night was very cool.

Sounds like he's going to play at least an inning in CF this weekend. Wish I could be there to see it. I think it would be perfect if he could do it with Pettitte on the mound Saturday...but unlikely that Pettitte lasts long enough for it to happen (assuming they wanted him to do it in the 8th and pitch the 9th).

I was watching SC yesterday and they did a Sports Science segment on him. It was never that he had only 1 pitch. It's that he threw all 4 from exactly the same arm angle (within 2 degrees). He was pretty amazing to watch and definitely one of the best to play the game ever.

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

the last to wear #42

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Just awesome to see. What a class act.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

One of the reasons I hate sports...I hate that he's not pitching in the playoffs this year. Never thought I'd say that about a Yankees player. :)