1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

EXCLUSIVE: Rockets' Center Yao Thrilled to Be Team's Biggest Fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Mar 14, 2008.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I find this from amorephd's post, and think it deserves a new thread. :)

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

HOUSTON -- For Rockets All-Star center Yao Ming, the club's remarkable 20-game winning streak has forced him to deal with a variety of emotions. He is thrilled for his teammates and coaches but is suffering because he is not able to contribute.

"I feel happy of course," Yao said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "A little bit sad because I cannot be there.

"I don't know how to feel over there, enjoy a 20 (game) winning streak because I stay home. Hopefully we can get it next season too."

While Yao has full confidence in the Rockets, he acknowledges he has been caught off guard by the team being able to put together the second longest winning streak in NBA history, tying the mark set by the Milwaukee Bucks during the 1970-71 season. The Rockets have won eight straight without him.

"I am surprised," Yao said. "We did a great job. It's just like I saw (forward) Shane (Battier) speak on TV after the game. "Every single day is hard work just like when we started, winning the first game against Golden State at home. Nobody even imagined we could keep winning."

Yao was diagnosed last month with a season-ending stress fracture in his left foot. He has since undergone successful surgery to repair the injury. Thursday he began the rehabilitation process with his personal strength and conditioning coach, Anthony Falsone.

Yao said the Rockets ability to maintain the winning streak even though he is out defines what this team is all about.

"If the team is really starting to (lose) games while I am out it (could) mean we don't have enough power to survive in the Western Conference," Yao said. "The Western Conference (is) very tough right now. I think my teammates did a great job making us a next level team. We can make a difference in the playoffs this year."

Yao is now literally one of the Rockets biggest fans.

"I learn a new word which is couch potato," Yao said. "Every Rocket game day is my best time."

Yao has a two story home and because of his injury only lives downstairs right now.

"I move by bed to the first floor," Yao said. "There is only a small tv, not much bigger than your face. I'm just sitting right there watching that big (of a) screen and yelling for my teammates."

Watching the Rockets grow without him has given Yao a chance to see how fellow superstar Tracy McGrady would handle the pressure.

"He did a great job," Yao said. "He take over the leadership.

"Last year I remember when I am out he plays very aggressive. He tries to get as many scores as he can and give team a win and he did well and this year he also did that part, but the teammates give him more support than last year.

"Everybody shoot with great confidence. Shane is shooting well. Luis Scola, Carl Landry. Rafer Alston make it look different, attacking the basket. Of course you won't forget Dikembe Mutombo.

The 41-year old Mutombo is one of Yao's closest friends on the team.

"In China if you are 12 years (older) than me I should call him Uncle," Yao said. "I told him already. Uncle Deke.

"I remember the first game when I am out I sat on the bench watching the game," he said. "When that moment (came and) he blocked a couple of shots in a row and he is shaking his finger I almost forget my situation. I'm just enjoying the game. I'm so happy about it. I forget what happened to me."

Yao said he and his teams certainly know they cannot win every game.

"Before I got hurt I said we know one day we will lose but we try to delay that as (much) as we can," Yao said. "It comes by working hard every single day. I think that's what the players think about right now. We don't know what happens tomorrow, but we work hard today. "

The Rockets play the Charlotte Bobcats Friday night at Toyota Center and then have a nationally televised home game against the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday.

"The players are with full confidence right now," Yao said. "Eight games ago people are saying Rockets cannot survive without Yao Ming. They did very well, beat some good teams like the New Orleans Hornets, Dallas Mavericks, and the people talk about that we have a good schedule.

"Everybody plays 82 games. The Lakers are one of your 82 games. We have confidence to beat them."

Yao said he is pleased with the way he is feeling after undergoing surgery March 1.

Yao said he is feeling "Pretty good, Pretty good. Maybe too early to say but I feel good right now."

Victories over Charlotte and the Lakers will make Yao feel even better.

2. amorephd

amorephd Member

...thanks abc2007...

...I'm still a rookie...and...don't have thread power yet!!!!

...appreciate the assist!!!!

...amorephd...

3. Northside Storm

Very nice to see. Yao is a beast.

For those questioning whether Yao belongs on this team or if the team is better without Yao etc...

Never forget the first win of the streak.

36-19 baby. 36-19.

4. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

How come Yao doesnt have an elevator in his house?

And Yao watches games on a small TV? Come on Yao, dont need to be too mean on yourself.

5. poprocks

poprocks Member

whoo hoo Yao! he's got the best attitude and he knows we can take down the Lakers and the Celtics. Gotta take care of business first in Charlotte though.

6. iBelieve

iBelieve Member

Feel sorry for Yao. Actually he has been 60% of this winning streak but all the national media are talking about "20 streak wins without center Yao Ming". Everyone is so hyped right now that most of them forgot the existence of Yao. Just look at which page is pryuen's Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation is on :(

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

You are welcome! :)

8. Norway's Winter

thx for sharing this thread :D

it looks like that Yao's recovery is quite good :p

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

i miss yao.. he probably a little sad people forgot about him. Kinda like finding out your ex girlfriend moved on and is dating another guy =T. Hang in there big guy!

10. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Yeah, having Yao would have made teams quiver in fright whenever the Rockets come into town. Well, there's always next year... the bigger, badder, and better Rockets will own the league. I hope! haha!

11. teemacatac

teemacatac Member

He has such a great personality, the best teamates that you can ever hope for

12. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

Some day, the media will miss Yao for sure. lets be seated and wait..

13. kwng

kwng Member

It must be very painful for him to watch from the bed as his team break history. I hope he can recover quick.

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

"There is only a small tv, not much bigger than your face. I'm just sitting right there watching that big (of a) screen and yelling for my teammates."

Paging tinman.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

[​IMG]

16. battousai

battousai Member

i wonder if Yao can maybe come back fully 100% before the playoffs is over.

I really really think we can go to WC this year without Yao, but not sure for Finals.

whoever going to emergy from the west is going to be tired and exhausted.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

18. Faos

Faos Member

19. amorephd

amorephd Member

...it's the first time I've SEEN Yao Ming interviewed since his surgery...ANYWHERE!!!!

...in the story on FOX 26...you could SEE both his pain and his happiness about the team...and the streak...on his face...

...so..exclusive?!?!...yeah...I think so...besides...it was a great story about Yao Ming!!!!...why do you have to hate!?!??!

...amorephd...

20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Yao has now referenced himself in the dreaded third person.

AMERICANIZATION COMPLETE