1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Excluding Yao, which player is the definition of a Rocket to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daeyeth, Aug 10, 2010.

?

Which player represents the Rocket's spirit to you?

1. Shane Battier

45 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. Luis Scola

74 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Chuck Hayes

30 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Kyle Lowry

10 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Aaron Brooks

10 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Excluding Yao, which player do you see that is the definition of a Rocket? In heart, in mentality, in personality, who do you look at and go, "Yeah, that's a Rocket right there. That's what the Rockets are all about."

For me, it's Luis Scola. Not the athletic brute, Scola's a crafty, hard-nosed worker that enjoys his teammates and brings out the best in them through example. To me, he is the definition of the Rocket spirit.

2. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

LUIS SCOLA

for

President!

3. Jcjackster

Jcjackster Member

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Roger Clemens

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Buzz Aldridge

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Pretty much Scola, but I wish it was somebody like Michael, who had the hardworking mindset of Scola and his competitiveness and intensity, but also the talent to win championships.

7. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

chuckwagon for prez

8. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

All 5 of them.

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Definitely Luis, he is the heart and the hustle of our team, I think our team spirits feed off him.

10. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Shane.

High intelligence, hustles like a madman, does the little things to win, and highly underrated by freakin' everybody.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Who says the Rockets don't have to be athletic? This was never the case before our era.

Gutsy, gritty, clutch, hard-nosed, not going down without a fight, not intimidated by anyone, yes that's been there from the start. But I'm tired of all this "underrated, unathletic" crap. Let's get properly rated, and properly athletic too. Patterson's a step in the right direction.

I picked Lowry because out of all those you listed he's got the toughness but also the right combination of strength and speed you need to win in this league.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I was torn between Battier or Scola, so I flipped a coin and it was Scola.

Both are fine individuals, that are all about the craft and the team rather then any accolades for themselves. Also one of the definitions for Houston Rockets is being underrated and I think both of them fit that mold to a degree.

Although Shane is losing that distinction due to his age finally catching up to him.

13. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Scola for me.

14. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

This..

They all bring class, hustle, and most importantly HEART!

15. University Blue

Jon Barry
    Sam Cassell
    Mario Elie
    Chuck Hayes
    KL
    Brad Miller
    Dikembe Mutombo
    LS
    Bobby Sura
    OT
    David Wesley

On the fence about Vernon Maxwell.

16. ebatinga

ebatinga Member

IMO, it's a tough call between Scola and Battier....

You can make the argument for Battier in the sense that he's the vocal leader of the team and his experience as an NBA player has caused the other playerso on the team to respect what he's done...Also, he does all the "little" things he does...his off the court community commitment is also something to be praised....

Scola, just because of what he brings to the table....he's more of a silent assasin IMO in that he won't light up another team for huge statistics, but at the end of the game you look at his stat line and he's got 20+ and 10+ rebounds...very nitty gritty in his work ethic and how he approaches the game...I don't think I've ever seen Scola take off a play...

very very tough decision...so tough I really can't distinguish between the two...

17. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

18. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

All 5 guys for me with there never give up attitude.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Scola.

Gets under opposing players' and fans' skin with tough position battles and hustling. Has a never-quit attitude. Doesn't get off the ground much. Yeah that's the Rockets.

lol I like how Yao had to be excluded. Is Yao too representative somehow? :rolleyes: :p

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes.

He's extremely underrated both here and in national media. Yet, he has an impact on the game despite lacking physical gifts and works harder than everyone else.

I wouldn't say any of the rest are really underrated which is what I would say defines the Rockets.