1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Examples of Athletes with talent but no work ethic?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by slowmustang, Apr 19, 2005.

1. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Can anyone name some athletes that had great talent but didn't have the work ethic?

On the other hand....athletes that didn't have talent to become great, but had tremendous work ethic?

Thanks

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Basketball: Shawn Kemp
    Football: Ryan Leaf

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Robert Horry.

4. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Derrick Coleman and Joe Barry Carrol come to mind as talented but very unmotivated.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Kenny Thomas?

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I wouldn't call Kenny Thomas a great player.

Larry Bird would be a better example. He did have natural passing skills but he worked hard to become a great player in every other facet of the game.

7. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Shawn Kemp is a very good one. Thanks guys. Would anyone happen to know where I can find an article about this? :)

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

9. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

Charles Barkley.

10. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

In the first category I would put Eddie Griffin. In the second category I would put Magic Johnson since he wasn't that fast and couldn't jump very high. Larry Bird would fit too but I think Magic was better since he was more versatile.

Baseball is also full of people who fit into the second category especially finesse pitchers who rely on placement, adjusting speeds and knowledge of the hitters.

In general though nearly all great atheletes have had great work ethics to maximize or even transcend their physical talents. There were plenty of players who could jump as high as Jordan but none of them had the will to perfect so many aspects of the game like him. Same with Hakeem.

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Oh please. Barkely got fat towards the end of his career, and he definitely got bloated after it. REGARDLESS, Barkley worked his ass off in the games, and you don't get to be one of the 50 greatest to ever play in the NBA by not practicing - A LOT. I think you are focusing too much on his physical appearance in the later stage of his career.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Pete Rose worked hard, and seemingly had to real talent.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He could've been putting him in the latter category.

14. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

David Wells

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

16. pchan

pchan Member

um... work ethic means practice right?? and workout regularly?? I can think of an NBA athelete who could care less about practice off my head :rolleyes:

On the other hand... I would say maybe Stockton?

17. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Kemp was very good and motivated for a few years.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Anyone who pitches a perfect game while possibly drunk definitely deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

19. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Greg "Cadillac" Anderson. The guy had size and game I wonder if his non-work ethic was the cause of him not achieving greatness or playing for the Spurs had something to do with it.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

having great court vision, a great understanding of the game, great passing skills and being one of the best shooters ever doesn't pass for talent any more?

or are we just talking physical talent versus mental talent, in which case i would say the two can't be separated. some guys get blessed with physical skills. some guys get blessed with finesse skills like shooting/passing a football. some guys get the mental skills to see the game better than others. anything that is pretty clearly something you were born with is a skill to me and a skill from any of the categories isn't any better than a skill from any other category.

i'm not exactly sure where i'm going with this but that comment seems like one of those "he got the most out of his skills" comments that downplays the fact that having the mental and finesse skills to make up for physical deficiencies is no different than having physical skills and not the others. both are just things you either have and neither is more laudatory than the other. bird had craploads of the brains/finesse stuff.

and derrick coleman would probably be my pick off the top of my head.

#20 francis 4 prez, Apr 20, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2005