1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-Steelers Coach Cowher 'open' to a return to the field

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

So you wouldnt hire Tom Landry who got 2 rings in 29 seasons(al most like Cowher "1 in 15 years")
    his record in playoffs 20-16

Or you would like to keep Kubiak for 29 seasons to see if he can get 2 rings. :grin:

I think Cowher or Gruden would be nice for the Texans.

2. RocketMania1991

That has to be some of the dumbest logic to try and reason for a coach keeping his job.

You act as if getting a championship is easy.
    Why don't you go try and preach your philosophy to the Chicago Cubs, or the Houston Astros.

Because even 1 in a span of 15 years isn't an accomplishment......

Give me a break

3. Landlord Landry

then keep Kubiak for another 10 seasons.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You seem to be under the impression that regular season results don't matter.

While Kubiak and Cowher have the same number of rings through 5 seasons, Cowher took a team that hadn't been very good before he got there and turned them into one of the best teams in football instantly, and then sustained that excellence.

If you guaranteed me that sometime in the next 15 years Kubiak will win a ring but will and Cowher would too, I'd STILL take Cowher because I still want the excitement of playoff football and the thrill of the games counting season in and season out.

For 5 straight years the season was over for Kubiak before December. That sucks and it ruins the football season. I'd trade that for Cowher even if we never won a ring.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

what you are arguing makes ZERO sense, I assume you know that though

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'd rather the Texans make the playoffs at least a few times instead of settling for perpetual mediocrity or worse.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

At this point, it's too late for him to go back.

8. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Excellent point. I've never understood why some people care about coaches salaries........as if it's their money.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Me either. This doesn't affect the Salary Cap or anything else.
    Why worry about it?

Rocket River

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Retread coaches never work in the nfl no matter how good they are. When is the last time a coach won 2 sb with 2 different team. Might as well hire marty if you want to go to the playoffs.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Holmgren should have had a SB with two teams.
    1 SB win, 1 SB loss with GB, 1 SB loss with Seattle*

Marty has been successful in multiple stops.
    AFC title games with two teams, playoffs with three teams

We'll see what Shannahan does.

Bill Parcells was pretty successful in every stop.
    2 SBs with the Giants, 1 SB loss with NE, 1 AFC title game with the JETS

Tom Coughlin has been pretty successful in two stops
    AFC title game with JAX, SB win with NY

Dan Reeves has been very successful with multiple teams
    4 superbowls (3 with Den, 1 with ATL) (all losses)

I'd call that pretty good.

I'll stop my research there, but Reeves, Martyball, Holmgren, Parcells, Coughlin are pretty good arguments against the idea that "retread coaches never work in the nfl no matter how good they are." That only is true if your requirement for "work" is winning a SB. Seeing as how most coaches won't ever win a SB, I don't put that as the requirement for success personally.

12. macho GRANDE

Can I add Dick Vermeil and DON SHULA please? Thanks.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I specifically said winning a SB. If you just want to go to the playoffs hire Marty who probably wont cost as much as cowher.

In the last 20 years 25 different team have made the superbowl. If you coach long enough you are more likely than not to make a superbowl.

I think at the end of the day most coaches are overrated. You need to have a talent. A guy lie parcell knows how to bring in the talent.

What did belicheck do before getting Brady?

We have a pretty good team, I think an infusion of talent on D will do more
    good that a HC.

14. macho GRANDE

I disagree. Good coaching can mask a lot of deficiencies(sp). As long as we have a head coach that completely goes away from a strategy that worked (Indy game 2), one that consistently mismanages the clock at end of halves, and can't get his team mentally prepared to play until they're 14 points in a hole, we'll continue to spin our wheels. Hell, not being able to look at pressure kicks just reeks of amateur-hour. Koobs being scared is not exactly exuding confidence out there.

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I think he will choose between the Bengals and Cowboys ... if Lewis doesn't get fired, I would be chocked.

1 person likes this.
  16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Landlord Landry,

Biggest hole in your logic is your inability to that understand C comes after B which comes after A. So the ABC is as such:

A is winning
    B is making the playoffs
    C is winning the Superbowl

So naturally you must have a winning season in order to make the playoffs and then win the playoffs to reach the Superbowl and then win that to become a coaching legend.

So Kubiak hasn't even made it to A in 5 seasons and you speak as if another 10 years will automatically get you to C. On the other hand, Cowher has done A and B most of his career and on one occasion his team was able to get to C. To me the most important part is the consistent A and B. Houston must have winning season to make the playoffs, then a few wins in the playoffs to become legit contenders. Cowher is the kind of coach who gives you the best shot at A and B and from there it's up to his players to take him to C.

Even if Cowher would only provide 10-15 years of winning and making the playoffs every year, I would still take that over Kubiak and 10-15 years of 8-8 and 9-7. You need to learn to walk before you can run. Kubiak has reached his sealing as a coach. He is a mediocre coach which reflects in his record in Houston. Cowher can take us to the next level and beyond.

17. msn

msn Member

ok.

Copout. Poo-poo what everyone has to say, but don't come with a valid suggestion of your own (other than, "my coach is better than yours!"). Weaksauce, man.

Then what *would* you pay him? Or is poo-poo all you have to offer in this thread?

18. Landlord Landry

fine, for argument...I would rather have Todd Haley.

19. Major

Major Member

Your argument for keeping Kubiak for 10 more years is that he's interchangable with Cowher because of no rings in their first 10 years. Haley's in the same boat - would you be just as happy with Kubiak on the Chiefs? They both have 0 rings as head coaches and nothing else matters, right?

20. Landlord Landry

it should not take 14 seasons with the same team to learn how to run. Not if you are a coaching god.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.