1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ex-Steelers Coach Cowher 'open' to a return to the field

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And the Chiefs, who were 4-12 last year and have already matched our best win total.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There really aren't ANY viable explanations as to why Kubiak would remain as the head coach of this team outside of financial reasons. And to those who want to retain him as an offensive coordinator.....the man still has his pride. That's a HUGE demotion, and for him to come into work everyday and demand respect from the very same players that he used to lead every single day would be a tough, tough pill for him to swallow. I'm sure it would lead to a lot of rifts in the locker room, and the new coach would probably always have to worry about that. It's always best to just make a clean break, and move on completely.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think McNair is a very loyal man. He really likes Kubiak and he really wants to see him succeed. I think he's also afraid of a short term setback from a new coach implementing a new system. It's like, he believes that if we bring in a new coach that it will be a minimum 2 seasons before we're able to get to the playoffs and that Kubiak actually has a better chance at making the playoffs in the next couple of years than a new coach because McNair places a lot of value on continuity. That while Kubiak may not make the playoffs again for the 6th consecutive year, we still have a better chance next year with him than someone else.

I disagree, but I think that's how Bob feels.

4. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Because he is a good offensive coordinator but not a good head coach, thats why.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah that first half offense has been great.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It took a 2-14 train wreck to get Capers fired, if Kubiak gets to 7-9 he'll stay, 6-10 might give us a fighting chance for freedom.

If McNair keeps Kubiak and ignores Cowher, I won't go to a game next year. I'm sick of this crap, it's like we're supposed to be happy that we aren't terrible. 0-16 isn't any worse than our results under Kubiak. No Playoffs is no playoffs

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't one the Dallas Coaches take a demotion . . Chan Gailey or the guy after him?

Rocket River

8. Yung Hogg44

Yung Hogg44 Member

i feel u on dat... i like kubes too but change is a must

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Good not great. I doubt the offense will regress if a new OC is brought in.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Since this a Cowher thread there is no way Kubiak is staying if Cowher comes in. Cowher's only going to a team where it's the "right" situation which means complete control and $$. Cowher is going to bring in his own people.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The one thing nobody has mentioned is the fact that from a national spotlight perspective, hiring Cowher would give the Texans instant credibility. This is something that CANNOT be lost on McNair. The respectability that Cowher brings would instantaneously give the Texans a few primetime games next year, and people in the national media would be talking about the hire all off-season. If he keeps Kubiak, I've gotta believe that the Texans have lost any chance they had of keeping their stake on Monday Night Football. 5-9 (with an 0-3 record on national TV) hardly gives the media any reason to keep giving us games. With Cowher though, you've gotta think that we remain a trendy pick by pundits.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Exactly. Not to mention players will WANT to play for a guy like Cowher.

13. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

He might not be right asa head coach but if he gets fired, some team is gonna get a hell of a coor, so why not keep him for ourselves.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

b/c those sorts of things don't happen in the real world.

15. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Demotion? Getting fired I guess is a demotion.

16. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Denver has all but come out and said that they'd love to have Kubiak back as HC. I imagine he wants to go at this point...hopefully this plays in our favor.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It is amazing how much the game has changed.

Tom Landry, in his first five years as a head coach had zero winning seasons.

In his sixth year, he finally went .500.

Then he went off with 20 seasons of winning football with 14 Division Championships, 5 NFC Championships, and 2 Super Bowl wins.

18. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Well it could happen. Kubs will be under contract next year. People get demoted all the time "IN THE REAL WORLD" I don't see why it can't happen in sports.

19. everyday eddie

How can the Dolphins be on his "list" if one of the requirements is a good QB in place?

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

this is why I think we have the best odds to nab him assuming the Giants make the playoffs

it's a matter of Mcnair putting his money where his mouth is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.