1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ex-Rocket Jordan Hill is balling

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ashleyem, Nov 18, 2013.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The guy has been averaging 18.8 pts, 12 reb, 62 fg% over last 4 games..He has emerged as a very good role player for the Lakers...The fact that we gave up this beast for Fisher still haunts me..I've always thought he is better player than Patterson but he got no love here.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We gave him up for a draft pick not Fisher, Fisher never played one minute for us... Anyways good for him I always liked Jordan, glad to see he is improving.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We pretty much gave up too early on Landry and Patterson as well

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Giving up early on a player? I think motivation is a huge factor for players (see Asik for example). J.Hill is probably much more motivated in LA now than he would be here anytime as an eternal backup who can't get a starting spot even if he outplays Howard. Knowing that, his motivation is 1/10 of that in LA now.

What I want to say is some players seem to "explode" only when they change a team and former team's fans cry over the trade and call their GM a moron. But in reality that player would probably never reach the level of play while playing for his previous club.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Either we dump Thomas Robinson in July to get Dwight, or we dump Patterson. And the former probably would have gotten more, given higher potential and the fact that Robinson isn't a free agent at the end of this season.

6. conquistador#11

I always believed he could be the Bohemian Brian Grant, mostly because of the hair. Hair is a huge factor in forecasting my analytics

7. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Is your method any good since most NBA athletes are bald?

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

glad to see him doing well, always liked him at the Rockets

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Makes u realise how much of a genious morey over the coarse of his teniure, whether they have thrived as a rocket or playing for someone else his track record is amazing.

Props morey

#9 Voice of Aus, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

what a troll...

Does Morey develop players? Does he give them minutes?

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

What are u on about, I am not a troll at all, I worship morey and to a lesser extent the likes of bima (CF homo) but to call me a troll on here just shows u have never read one of my posts before.

Look at my sig I have a whole thread devoted to my idol

13. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Because there is no way Morey could know what enviroment a player must have in order to thrive if he's not a professional and lets his emotions dictate his play. One player needs a different coach, another different city, think of Howard, Odom, DWill etc...

But you disregard all that and go ahead with your sarcastic tone of GENIOUS Morey.

14. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

It's like saying Kupchak was a moron for bringing Howard to LA since he should know it won't work.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Always wished we kept him instead of that soft guy PPat.
    Hill is an absolute beast on the boards

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There was no way to keep him for this season. We would have had to get rid of him to get Howard.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good for Jordan Hill. I hope he does well, but I don't miss him yet.

18. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

All of the moves people are complaining about (Hill, Landry, Patterson, etc.) come from the fact that Les is a win now owner. We weren't afforded the time to develop these guys. Everyone here knew Hill would take 3 years or more to develop. Everyone here knew Scola was a much more polished product to help us win now than Landry.

This is the mentality that made the last few years so hard. Morey would have rather kept and developed that young talent. That's why he drafted and traded for it. But, Les wouldn't allow it. Les wanted playoffs every year. That said, Morey is so smart that he managed to put this team together now through all the adversity and this team is better than ANY team that we would have had with just those guys developing.

Simply the nature of the beast.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You do realize there was a draft pick involved in this trade as well dont you? And that draft pick ended up being one of the coveted picks OKC got in the Harden trade? Also that pick so happens to be one of OKC's better assets right now as it is a Dallas potentially lottery unprotected pick in a few years (after Dirk is probably retired).

And Hill's option could not have been picked up as he was not nearly worth what his rookie contract would have paid him the next year, and the Rockets weren't going to be pay for him in free agency, and had to stay flexible in rebuild mode.

Hill doesn't get love because the Rockets and Carroll Dawson basically molded him into the player he is now, and the Lakers got to reap the benefits of their labor. The Rockets gave him the tools to be successful, and he showed it once every 3 games when he was engaged, but he needed to be traded somewhere else to light a fire under his arse.

This is prime example of why Morey probably doesn't like to take high upside bigs in the first round. Most of them drafted outside of the top 5 never become useful player until their second contract when the team that drafted them has had to move them for one reason or another. You are almost certainly developing them for another team in the future.

D-Mo & Jones could see a similar scenario if the Rockets had to move them this year as well.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Good lord, it's been 2 years since we traded him away. How long should a team wait before they get a good 4-game stretch to brag about? Besides which, we would have lost him regardless in the pre-Harden offseason, or in the Harden trade itself, or in the cap-clearing moves to add Howard.

Besides, Jones has had a pretty decent 4-game stretch averaging 10 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. And, he's actually still a Rocket. And, he's didn't need 4 years in the league to get this far. I'm happy to see Jordan Hill starting to realize his potential, but 4 years is quite a long time to wait. Is it really reasonable to say Morey should have hung onto him all this time?