1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-referee Tim Donaghy blows whistle on NBA dirty secrets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BAM, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BAM

BAM Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...exreferee_tim_donaghy_blows_whistle_on_n.html

Ex-NBA referee Tim Donaghy told the feds two refs fixed the outcome of one playoff series - and that officials were told not to eject star players from games for fear of hurting ticket sales.

The bombshell allegations are contained in a court document filed Tuesday by Donaghy's lawyer. It describes the “inner workings" of the NBA in which top league executives used referees to manipulate games.

Donaghy, who pleaded guilty in Brooklyn Federal Court to charges of betting on games he officiated, told FBI agents “league officials would tell referees that they should withhold calling technical fouls on certain star players because doing so hurt ticket sales and television ratings," the document said.

Donaghy claims he was told that two refs who were “company men” acting in the interest of the NBA conspired to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

The referees allegedly ignored flagrant fouls committed by the team that needed to win. They also reportedly called "made-up fouls" against the other team which led to the ejection of two of their players. The team favored by the refs won that night and the next game to win the series.

The document does not name the teams. The Nets were in that playoff series, losing the championship finals to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Donaghy also claimed a supervising referee told refs that an unidentified NBA executive did not want them to call technical fouls on star players or boot them from the game.

Donaghy told feds the league reprimanded a referee who disobeyed that edict in January 2000 and ejected an unnamed star player from a game in the first quarter.

Lawyer John Lauro filed the four-page letter to Federal Judge Carol Amon because none of the information was included in the government’s letter to the judge seeking leniency for Donaghy when he is sentenced next month.

Lauro has gone to war against Brooklyn federal prosecutors for offering plea deals to Donaghy's betting accomplices that give them less time than the disgraced ref, despite his extensive cooperation.

Donaghy claims referees have accepted autographs, free merchandise and meals from team coaches and managers. He told probers one referee used a team's practice facility to exercise and another played tennis with an NBA coach.

"These activities were against NBA rules, indeed, such inappropriate relationships could influence the outcome of games," Lauro wrote.

Lauro said he withheld the names of the teams, referees and league officials because the feds may still investigate the allegations.

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

This reads like a girl magazine article.

"50 ways to make your man find you attractive using hallucinogens."

"What Brit is up to!"

"Lose weight in 3 minutes with a machete!"

"And more!"

3. ibm

ibm Member

if all these turn out to be even halfway true, it will open the flood gates. i don't even want to think about what could possibly happen.

just hope the guy is a bum and never tells a single truth.

4. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Why even bother naming teams? Just from the description it has to be the Lakers-Kings series, specifically game 6.

5. Bigearz

Bigearz 713only
    Supporting Member

6. sook

sook Rookie

Its funny because Adelman would have won a title then, he was coach then right? All there was on the other end was the eastern sacrificial lamb

7. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

I laughed. :p

8. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

celtics-lakers in the finals....enuf said.

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Yeah, that's the game.

Both Pollard (played 11 minutes) and Divac (played 31 minutes) got 6 fouls and was ejected.

That game's officiating was outrageous. Everyone know the League made sure the series go to 7 games.

BUT, still there are morons here b**** about Adelman and the Kings never got out of the West. Basically, Adelman and the Kings got robbed of their championship.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Anyone with even a minimal basketball IQ could tell that Kings-Lakers Game 6 was fixed.

These allegations are shocking but not surprising.

Stern's empire will come crashing down on him soon enough.

11. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

i still can recall Scott Pollard with both arms up straight and Shaq bumped into him and it's a foul on Pollard. WTF! :rolleyes:

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

This is interesting, I wonder why he would let these things out via a lawyer.I don't believe he is a whistle blower and releasing such information would exonerate his wrong doings. What are the motives here? Is it a black mail to the league?

On the other hand, I won't be surprised half of what he said is true. But he doesn't have evidence.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That explains a lot. I'm assuming this was in reference to Lakers-Kings Game 6, when the Kings were in control and on the verge of eliminating the Lakers until the Lakers mysteriously were awarded 27 free throws in a single quarter. I'm guessing the "ejection" refers merely to fouling out, in which case it fits -- both Divac and Pollard fouled out in that ridiculous fourth quarter. The Kings, of course, could have wrapped up that series in Game 6 but went on to lose the game and the series.

http://www.nba.com/games/20020531/SACLAL/boxscore.html

14. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Well I really hope stern is replaced. Because its really freaking unfair to the fans who pay a lot of money and give up a lot of their time to support their team. I mean we sit there and hope and pray that our team's hard work pays off only to find out everything was fixed? Its unfair on so many levels that I'm speechless.

15. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

while there is a small group of people believing in conspiracy theories and a large group condemning them for such thinking, one cannot deny that money makes the world go round. as much as we would like the sports industry to be as fair as the sports we play in the parks or on the fields, it just can't be the same. there's a reason why they're called PROFESSIONAL sports. athletes are paid to perform and ultimately stuff the wallets of the powers that be. everyone but league execs are played as pawns in the ultimate chess game. they prey on our naive psyche that yearns for everything to be pure and just, and much of us believe it or want to believe it. and for those who do not, there's nothing they can do about it for the simple reason because we lack proof and power.

people will bring up the spurs as their main example to try dispel conspiracy theories, but have they ever thought that the league is doing that for that simple reason: to make it seem like there's nothing illegal going on?

as for the lakers celtics series, expect it to go to 6 or 7 games...probably 7.

it's ironic how professional sports patronizes the world of sports entertainment most specifically the wwe when the line differentiating them is becoming more and more vague.

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

you know.. this makes you wonder if the chicago bulls by any chance ...................... the lo.t.ry....... oh nvm.

i never liked stern. and if this is true, it just makes my hate grow bigger because now... he is a hypocryte. so much for that "wonderful" image crap.

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

To me, it seems simple enough. He got caught, but if he rolls over on other officials who did things far worse, things could get better for him.

WORD.

Where are all those people now who called people who saw what happened in game 6 "sissy whiners" and whatnot? And who said this was all "ridiculous conspiracy theory?"

Gee, looks like it was allllllll true. All of it.

Any SHRED of doubt I may have had in my mind that Dick Bavetta is Stern's #1 "Mr. Fix-It" is now gone.

Bavetta and Stern should both be dragged out and shot.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This only confirms (under oath ?) what everyone has known for a long time -- about all sports really.

FYI ~ some boxing matches may be fixed...

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Stern should have stepped down for this or should have been forced to step down. You can't tell me he didn't know shady stuff was going in the Rockets/Mavs series as well as many others over the years. He made things worse by imposing these ridiculous fines on people who commented on things that were clearly evident to even the most casual fan. He made good, honest people out to be liars and whiners by fining them and then questioning their integrity through the media.

I certainly wasn't happy when this scandal broke but it did feel good to know that Stern's arrogance and, in my opinion, dishonesty had come back to bite him. I only wish the media and those burned by him would step up again and remind everyone about the way they were forced to cooperate or be run out of the league by the good Dictator.

The fact that he still has his job is a testament to how screwed up the league still is.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I always defended Stern. Donaghy was never his fault. I was certain it happened in every sport to some extent. That there was no real way Stern could have honestly policed it.

But now this? Word coming from the league itself at times?

Its over now.